All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th October 2020, 09:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Spiral (2019)

Gaslighting: The Homophobia Edition

This honestly creeped me out, a lot! A same sex couple move into a suburban town and everything seems perfect. Their house gets vandalised and Malik keeps it from his partner Aaron, it seems that due to a very brutal event in his past he gets a little paranoid about these things... Obviously not all is right in this town and poor Malik is ripe to be a gaslighting victim.

I enjoyed this, it's not perfectly made and some bits are a bit predictable but overall had me on edge, creeped me out, and it upset me all in one.

Day 7 of my horror marathon and I've not had a truly disappointing viewing yet!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 7th October 2020, 10:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Videodrome. 1983.

T.V. producer Max Renn looking for new ideas to show for Civic T.V. comes across a 53 second clip called Videodrome. He goes looking for the creators and source and finds his reality in life changing.

This one I have seen plenty of times and reviewed it on here but this one seems to fascinate me more that other Cronenberg's movies, as when you don't watch it for a while then re-watch and pick up more suttle little bits, are the creators using a mind control of the air waves with the over exposure of Videodrome, or when he places the prototype for the hallucinations to be recorded is he still wearing it and hallucinating to the end, you cannot fault James Woods in this as he is brilliant .
Death to Videodrome, Long Live The New Flesh

movieposter.jpg

Up Next The Hills Have Eyes.
Old 8th October 2020, 12:12 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Hills Have Eyes. 1977,

A family to heading to California take a trip off road and end up stranded after breaking down, what starts as a family holiday becomes a trip of survival when the family is attacked by cannibals.

It had been a while since I saw this film and finally get to see a uncut version of this and with a alternate ending, this is really quite still brutal and tense and may seem upsetting to some but at least we know the victims do fight back with a vengeance as well as the family dog gets a bit of pay back. Even though this may seem low budget from the re-make (which is good IMO) it is well played out from a steady pace to a full blown horror and Wes Craven knew what to do and how to make things look good with the camera work.

R-2116665-1441104756-3400.jpeg.jpg

Up next may be Part two, if i stay awake, if not have a good night all
Old 8th October 2020, 04:15 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Spiral (2019)

Gaslighting: The Homophobia Edition

This honestly creeped me out, a lot! A same sex couple move into a suburban town and everything seems perfect. Their house gets vandalised and Malik keeps it from his partner Aaron, it seems that due to a very brutal event in his past he gets a little paranoid about these things... Obviously not all is right in this town and poor Malik is ripe to be a gaslighting victim.

I enjoyed this, it's not perfectly made and some bits are a bit predictable but overall had me on edge, creeped me out, and it upset me all in one.

Day 7 of my horror marathon and I've not had a truly disappointing viewing yet!
Lucky for some eh

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Justin101 likes this.
Old 8th October 2020, 12:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Hills Have Eyes Part II. 1984.

A group of bikers heading to a race become stranded in the desert and have to fight of cannibals who live in the area.

The first movie was good and brutal with some very tense moments, this is the first time I have watched this film all the way through and feel very disappointed by it as it says "Family of cannibals" yet there seems to be only two Pluto who survived Beast's attack and Reaper, didn't the first one have a woman that was like their mother who appeared in some scenes?? Robert Houston, Michael Berryman and Janus Blythe return from the first film. The killings are done far in between but what happened to the suspense in it, there was no atmosphere from the first or did I miss something?? Maybe Re-Watch

maxresdefault.jpg
Old 8th October 2020, 12:40 PM
Cult Veteran

I've not seen that one and it was one of my potentials for the next week or so as it's on the Arrow TV channel on iTunes. I might not bother. I'm definitely sticking with only films I've not seen before though, there are loads of well known films I haven't got around to yet so I'm glad to be filling some gaps.
bleakshaun likes this.

Old 8th October 2020, 12:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
I've not seen that one and it was one of my potentials for the next week or so as it's on the Arrow TV channel on iTunes. I might not bother. I'm definitely sticking with only films I've not seen before though, there are loads of well known films I haven't got around to yet so I'm glad to be filling some gaps.
Sorry Justin didn't mean to spoil it for you, we have different opinions about films maybe you may find it better than I did.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 8th October 2020, 12:51 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I actually like The Hills Have Eyes Part II.

It's not as good as the first by any means but i still like the desert vibes on offer. It's just a bit of OTT fun.
Justin101 and Susan Foreman like this.
Old 8th October 2020, 12:54 PM
Cult Veteran

Perhaps it's something I can watch at the weekend when I can do multiple films in the day, that way if it's not that good it won't dampen my spirits
MrBarlow likes this.

Old 8th October 2020, 12:56 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Perhaps it's something I can watch at the weekend when I can do multiple films in the day, that way if it's not that good it won't dampen my spirits
If you go into it thinking it might be a bit tongue in cheek then you might have a bit of fun with it.
Justin101 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!