Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th October 2020, 02:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Vampire Hunter D (1985)

Another crossed of the 'want to watch' list. This time a classic horror anime from the 80s. Not much to say but I loved this one, timeless tale of girl bitten by a vampire hires a hunter to kill her soon to become master.

I love this 80s art style, you can tell everything is hand drawn and frankly it looks amazing. Not knocking the modern stuff as I still love and enjoy current series airing now, but you can see the artistry on display here.

Very enjoyable if it's your thing!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 24th October 2020, 02:43 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
I watched it on Amazon Prime
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 24th October 2020, 04:56 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default October 23rd

Dawn of the Dead (1978)

There's so much to love about this zombie classic from George A Romero and yet strangely it doesn't quite do it for me.

True, there are scenes of great suspense and thrilling action and parts remain scary even to this day and Savini's FX work is tremendous but even in this slightly shorter theatrical version it seems too long.

There's too much padding, too many scenes of frivolity and larking about in the mall, any build up of tension dissipates all too quickly during the middle third, neither is it helped in any way by the soundtrack of elevator muzak which grates immediately.

One of the things i do love about the film is the standout powerhouse performance by Ken Foree. From his first appearance you know he's one bad ass mother****er you'd want on your side in the event of a zombie apocalypse.

The fact i prefer Day of the Dead, Land of the Dead and Night of the Living Dead might be due to being over familiar with it seeing as it was a favourite of mine throughout the late 80's and 90's.

I'd never suggest Dawn of the Dead was a bad film, it's just not an all time favourite of mine.

I think i'll give a rewatch to Argento's cut in the next day or two, i haven't seen that since the Anchor Bay Ultimate Edition first came out.
Old 24th October 2020, 05:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Scream (1981, Byron Quisenberry)

A group of adults take a break in the outdoors
They take refuge in an ... old tv western set by the looks of it tbh
Someone seems to be watching ....
Odd, slack little thing this. The ending felt like a wee bitty more exposition was needed ahem.
Remember I said these were adults, yeah? A more feckless bunch you couldn't hope to meet. Give me horny teenagers anyday FFS
NEXT.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 24th October 2020, 05:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Scanners II: The New Order. 1991.

A scanner uncovers a plot ordered by another to use their powers for political reasons.

Sometimes sequels don't really work but this one did it's fair share of trying to live up to it's predecessor, even though David Cronenberg name appears as the characters were created by him. The actors do try to make it more entertaining with a bit more suspenseful on how their abilities are slowly surfacing and a connection to the first film with one particular character learning who he really is was done well and the make up effects were a bit low budget and done decently.

Is the third film any better, your thoughts please.

Attachment 228853
The 3rd is camp AF laugh riot IMHO MrB!
nosferatu42 likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 24th October 2020, 05:33 PM
Cult Addict

I watched Scanners 2 & 3 back to back when i got a set with the 3 films in.
I remember liking them all but one of the sequels i enjoyed more, pretty sure it was the 3rd as it was cheesy, over the top and entertaining.
Demoncrat likes this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 24th October 2020, 05:36 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
I watched Scanners 2 & 3 back to back when i got a set with the 3 films in.
I remember liking them all but one of the sequels i enjoyed more, pretty sure it was the 3rd as it was cheesy, over the top and entertaining.
I actually thought Scanners 3 was the best of the lot.
Old 24th October 2020, 06:00 PM
Cult Veteran

I've not seen any of the sequels myself, something for the future I think
Demoncrat likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 24th October 2020, 07:42 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I NEVER LEFT THE WHITE ROOM – An early film by Michael Schneider, about to find underground notoriety around the corner with ‘August Underground’s Mordum’, his collaboration with F Vogel from 2003. This film is more a stab at art-school surrealism than an exercise in faux-snuff, though its aesthetic is defiantly (and brutally) ‘lo-fi’, which I always think brings a bit of a forbidden vibe to things and reminds me of unmarked VHS tapes left on the top deck of the last bus home etc. It’s fairly non-linear, allowing for a loose narrative that forms around a psychiatric patient who may have been behind a string of murders, or at least something that has placed him in a state best described as ‘mentally tortured’. Whether you end up in that state yourself after watching this will depend on your tolerance / enjoyment of unhinged, heavily processed ‘bad-trip’ psychedelic imagery, presented as a skronky, glitch-ridden barrage that brings back memories of the back projections favoured by bands who used to play feedback and look smug in leather trenchcoats back in the eighties. The industrial reference doesn’t end there because the soundtrack is exactly as you might expect – disembodied drones, submerged voices, loops running backwards, yer weird uncle’s heavy breathing etc etc. A heady concoction that won’t please everyone, but you’ll probably know already whether you’ll dig it or not. Personally, I found it fascinating. Although you could perhaps say it’s a certain ‘type’ of film, direct comparisons are a little elusive, but fans of such out-there fare as ‘The Mutilation Man’ and ‘Subconscious Cruelty’, not to mention that bit from the tape on ‘Ringu’, will surely find something here to tickle their questionable fancies.
Old 24th October 2020, 08:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Scanners III: The Takeover.1991.

A young female scanner is driven mad by a new developed drug EPH-3 which is in a experimental stage, her brother living a quiet life in Thailand is persuaded to go back home and stop his sister from controlling everyone.

The sub plot good versus evil, sibling versus sibling sounded really good and the use of meditation to control the scanning ability was a new direction, yes it is very much cheesy, a guy being made to do a dance in a posh restaurant was pretty funny and a arm falling on a cop car and all they say is "I hate this bloody city" never interrupt police when a on a coffee and doughnut break. There was some good decent killings that live up to the first film and more mind control, decent third film.

220px-Scanners_III-_The_Takeover_FilmPoster.jpeg

Like this? Share it using the links below!