LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th October 2021, 08:58 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
Halloween Kills

EVIL DIES TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

Based on what a couple of folk said here I went to see this yesterday with very low expectations of it being good. I found the funniest film of the year. A terrible Halloween film. Some really good set pieces and great kills. But it is really bad, I still had fun though.
EVIL DIES TONIGHT

EVIL DIES TONIGHT

EVIL DIES TONIGHT

Mark Kermode's review for BBC Radio was basically 5 minutes of him saying "Why?" haha

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 18th October 2021, 09:55 AM
Cult Addict

Week 2 has been good again

oct 3.jpg
Old 18th October 2021, 10:01 AM
Cult Addict

The Fog

Still right up there as one of my favourite John Carpenter films.
Old 18th October 2021, 10:24 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
The Fog

Still right up there as one of my favourite John Carpenter films.
Same here. Just so atmospheric.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 18th October 2021, 10:49 AM
Cult Addict

So what have I managed to watch. Few bits.
The Masque of the Red Death. 1964.

This has gone from my least favourite of Cormans Poe series to somewhere towards the top. It still doesn't win out over Usher or Tales of Terror but it is nonetheless a terrific film.
Despite the gorgeous sets and costumes and dreamlike sequences it has taken this second viewing to appreciate what is essentially an exploitation flick, as befits Cormans heritage I suppose. Vincent Price plays a truly evil man and yet at times he manages to almost convince he has the moral high ground with his delicious dialogue corrupting Jane Ashers sense of right and wrong. Fantastic and quite nasty in places, StudioCanals blu looks superb too.

The Dark Eyes of London. 1939.

Early British horror with Bela Lugosi playing Bela Lugosi as some sort of odd insurance broker/doctor hybrid. For me Lugosi as much as he is an iconic figure in the horror genre just doesn't have much range. Almost always just playing himself, (there are a few exceptions) here he's no different. That's said this is still a great little movie with some genuinely tense moments and some of the kills are particularly dark for the time. Plenty of fun is to be had between the two detectives on the trail of a serial killer drowning people in the Thames.

The Werewolf. 1956.

The first movie I've watched from Arrows Sam Katzman set. The tale of a man who turns up in a small town in Anywheresville USA. He can't remember who he is or how he got there but not long after his appearance people start dying and a monster of some kind is clearly responsible. I'm trying to avoid spoilers but the title of the film clearly let's us know what's going on here. Its the how and why that is interesting and well put together. Basically a Frankenstein story in disguise. This actually has the feel of an extended twilight zone episode with its sets and acting. Of particular note is our helpless man/creature played by Kim Charney. Not an actor I'm familiar with but one that gives this role far more than such a film probably deserves. I really felt for this guy and his plight is what drives this movie forward. Excellent and thoroughly recommended if you like old b-movies.

Not a movie but I'm also really enjoying Midnight Mass on Netflix. Took an episode or two to get going and it is quite slow burn but it's a great show.
Old 18th October 2021, 03:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

HALLOWEEN HORROR BINGE ROUNDUP #7

17/10/21

THE MOON IN SCORPIO – A boat, some people, some corpses. Although all available reviews basically equate it to a barrel of shite rolling endlessly downhill towards utter nothingness, in some bizarre way ‘The Moon In Scorpio’ had me hooked. I’m kind of only saying that so I can slip in a crap pun about the killer’s weapon of choice (yep, a hook – well OK, it’s a harpoon – but then again, is it a knife? One of this film’s endless ambiguities / continuity errors). I thought that ‘The Moon In Scorpio’ was baffling, disjointed, tonally nonsensical, badly paced, a bit boring, couldn’t even really work out what was going on half the time despite it being the simplest of set-ups… and yeah, somehow I came out thinking I’d had quite an enjoyable experience. But I’m funny like that. Yep, I guess it did have me hooked after all.

THE VIDEO DEAD – This “EC meets Videodrome” comedy horror features a television set that spawns the living dead, who step straight from an onscreen NOTLD-esque monochrome graveyard into the kind of house where bad things always happen in straight-to-video eighties horror flicks. No-one involved was taking this seriously, not that I hold that against it; its incompetence is a bit mesmerising, scattershot pacing and random turns of event increasing the sense of unreality (it’s the kind of film where zombies can massacre an entire suburban street in the middle of the day and no-one seems that bothered). When the central character, a stoner kid, goes into the woods with a fatherly ‘zombie hunter’ type, a strange, almost fairy-tale quality sets in. Other than that, there’s some tasty gore, nice period zombie makeup, a couple of surprisingly mean-spirited moments (considering the tone is fairly light), and just that grainy, cheap eighties film look that always gets me.
Old 18th October 2021, 04:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

TVD was always on somewhere in someone's house back in the day. Or certainly seemed like it. Must revisit methinks!!
Frankie Teardrop likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 18th October 2021, 06:28 PM
Cult Addict

The Sect

I didn't really enjoy this one. It's fine but I was struggling to get into this one.
Old 18th October 2021, 06:41 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
The Sect

I didn't really enjoy this one. It's fine but I was struggling to get into this one.
Fairly dull isn't it.
Mojo, trebor8273 and bleakshaun like this.
Old 18th October 2021, 06:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Fairly dull isn't it.
Yes it is!
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!