All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th October 2022, 05:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Haha it’s a bad one this isn’t it, the prologue was the best bit, girl in her pink dress playing with her dollies. It seriously goes off the rails later. I wasn’t sure if the intention was that we didn’t know who the grown up version of the girl was???!

Greatest twist EVER you mean????

Tonight I will continue. This is fun.
Justin101 and nicholasrope like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 6th October 2022, 05:44 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Friday The 13th V: A New Beginning. 1985.

Attachment 242519

Jason or not,this is one of the best in the series.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 6th October 2022, 08:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Carrie. 2002.

One of Stephen King's earlier novels that was turned into a film by Brian De Palma is still a classic film, I had no idea what this version was like so went with a blind watch.

Angela Bettis plays the quiet and shy Carrie White and Patricia Clarkson plays Margaret White, sorry nobody can match up to Piper Laurie in the role, she made that role and became the mother we want to bitch slap into the next week.

This was done differently, sorry guys no nude shower scenes in this but starts off with detective David Keith questioning people from the prom night disaster and told in flash backs. There is a bit more added in with some minor CGI effects with the fire and brimstone. This was a decent version right up to the end and was clearly WTF till I checked it out and this was a pilot for a up and coming series that never happened, how can this be turned into a series???

Carrie_TV_TV-528606607-mmed.jpg

Up Next The Gorgon.
Old 6th October 2022, 08:43 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default October 5th.

Hands of the Ripper (1971)

Angharad Rees plays the daughter of Jack the Ripper who becomes possessed by his spirit and goes on a killing spree.

The script is more psychological horror than stalk and slash film, the film observes how Rees becomes afflicted from childhood memories of witnessing her father murder her mother. Eric Porter plays the psychologist attempting to break through the girls possession and prevent her doing her father's will.

Porter played Professor Moriarty in the ITV series of Sherlock Holmes, and it is that series the film most resembles. Having Jeremy Brett play Sherlock Holmes would have been a big help here. Jane Merrow and Keith Bell are instantly forgettable despite having sizable roles. It's probable that director Peter Sasdy went for a more thought provoking film than a basic slasher, and it's clear from this and the following years Demons of the Mind that Hammer were trying something different from the usual vampire and Frankenstein films.

The sets and costume design are as always wonderful, always a strong point of any Hammer film and the finale filmed on the Whispering Gallery at St Paul's Cathedral is certainly memorable however the high points of the film for me are Roy Ashton's gory make up effects. The knifing of the maid Dolly is a particular highlight and is one of Hammer's most iconic murder scenes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg r (3).jpg (70.6 KB, 2 views)
Old 6th October 2022, 08:46 PM
Cult Veteran

Default Wednesday and Thursday

Growing Pains (1980)

An odd family drama with a sinister undertone. James a newly adopted orphan arrives at his new parent's home to find out they have recently lost a son of a similar age. James is a peculiar child and likes to make odd statements and ask awkward questions.

This one was enjoyable, it starts off creepy and sustains that until the end. I'm not entirely sure what was meant by the ending but i'm happy to just go with it! Hammer House of Horror.

Halloween H20: 20 Years Later (1998)

I've already seen this once this year but it just came out in 4k so I felt like I had to watch it again In fact it's the third time in less than 12 months. It's not even one of the best Halloween films but I feel nostalgic about it. Great fun.

The Church (1989)

So this guy Evan, turns up late to work, annoys the bishop, befriends Asia Argento, steals a medieval manuscript and then sleeps with one of his colleagues after driving her home. This is all on the first day of his new job!

Soavi's best film, full of atmosphere and dreams, great musical score, practical special effects and an interesting story. Sure, in typical Italian horror fashion, some of it doesn't actually make sense but that doesn't matter. Just let the weirdness take you and enjoy the show.

I've not watched this for many years so I had forgotten most of it; As one of the dreamlike scenes was playing out I noted to myself that Goblin were ripping off Philip Glass but it was working for me so I wasn't mad. I chuckled to myself in the end credits when I realised they were actually performing a Philip Glass piece (Floe) rather than ripping him off!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 6th October 2022, 08:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post

Halloween H20: 20 Years Later (1998)

I've already this once this year but it just came out in 4k so I felt like I had to watch it again In fact it's the third time in less than 12 months. It's not even one of the best Halloween films but I feel nostalgic about it. Great fun.
You already this once...think autocorrect has struck you Justin or did you miss out a word
Justin101 and nicholasrope like this.
Old 6th October 2022, 08:57 PM
Cult Master

30 Days Of Unseen Horror

Day 5

6426635_orig.jpg

In the 22nd century Dr.Merchant a scienctist aboard his spaceship is trying to close the gateway to hell for ever after is ancestor knows as the toymaker created the puzzle box that unleashes hell on earth back in the 18th century. Pinhead and his cenobites are here to make sure he fails in his attempts to o block their passage to this world. But Dr.Merchant he created a reverse puzzle box.

I avoided all the the Hellraiser films made after III after hearing so many bad reviews but mostly down to my own ignorance well I thought it's time to try them out starting obviously with 4 surprisingly enough 😂

Anyway I was very pleasently surprised and really enjoyed the film for the most part. The acting was great for most of the film it was really just during the final part of the film where things started feeling cheap and cheesy when the space marines trying to take in Dr.Merchant on his ship. The cheesy one lines started and their acting was so wooden and false it just didn't fit in with the rest of the film lucky that was only the final 15 minutes and there was enough Pinhead action to keep you entertained and distracted from there shananigans. There is some great gore and some really fun and interesting kills and alot of hooks ripping flesh as you would expect I know the pain of a hook sticking into my flesh from fishing so I get a real appreciation of how painful a giant meathook ripping my face off might feel

Fun kills plenty of gore plenty of pinhead and an interesting story it's a win for me . Also a lesson learned I must take my head out of my ignorant ass a big more often
Old 6th October 2022, 09:03 PM
Cult Veteran

It only gets worse from here on in Nordy, much worse
MacBlayne and nicholasrope like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 6th October 2022, 09:08 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

@Nordy - For my sins i actually enjoy all the Hellraiser sequels - except 2011's Revelations which is unwatchable shit.

I even like Hellworld (2005) but acknowledge many don't. I think it's fun.

The most recent film Hellraiser: Judgment (2018) is a really refreshing and actually adds something to the franchise mythology. It might be my favourite of all the sequels.

If you are going to watch them all i hope you enjoy the majority of them as well.
Old 6th October 2022, 09:10 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

GOODNIGHT MOMMY – The remake, with Naomi Watts. Two brothers, twins, arrive at their estranged mummy’s house only to find her wrapped up like erm, well, basically a mummy. Just to make it clear, we are not within the realm of the ancient Egyptian undead (more’s the pity), this is just someone whose bandages are the result of something that’s happened to them… but what? Now mum’s acting strange and there’s a barn in the field at the back where no-one can go – will it all go ‘Eyes Without A Face’ or is the explanation even freakier? The original ‘Goodnight Mommy’ was quite interesting if I remember correctly, and had a clinical, detached Euro-art feel to it. This version is more meat and potatoes and kind of plays like a standard Hollywood thriller, raised a couple of notches by the presence of Watts and some good performances. It’s weirdly old fashioned in that, like the original, the whole thing seems to hinge on a single revelatory twist, making repeat viewings a bit redundant if there’s nothing much else going on (the original had style and was the sort of thing you could go back to just for the aesthetics, not really true in this case). But as a first viewing it’s quite entertaining.

Like this? Share it using the links below!