Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th October 2018, 07:52 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Daughters of Darkness(1971).

A couple of newlyweds, Stefan and Valerie, stay at a hotel near the sea in Ostende. And are the only guests at first, until a mysterious Countess and her companion, the equally mysterious Ilona, arrive who may be vampires that could be responsible for a string of deaths in the area.

Directed by Harry Kumel, this is probably one of the most artistic vampire films ever made, surreal and rich in atmosphere. And with a mesmerizing performance from actress Delphine Seyrig as the Countess Bathory.

The film does move at a leisurely pace though and takes it's time to get going. But the slow pace only helps to build up the atmosphere and makes it even more intriguing with its low-key eroticism and horror.

A good recommend 8/10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91+IVeWS1VL._SY445_.jpg (42.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 17th October 2018, 08:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

It's a film I need to see again. My auld Tartan vhs still looks reasonable ... cough. Pretty tis this shiny bauble good sire ??

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 17th October 2018, 09:04 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Well worth a pick up, D. Nice presentation. Not perfect, but a vast improvement over the DVD I had.

And quite cheap on WOWHD. https://www.wowhd.co.uk/daughters-of...s/827058701396
Old 17th October 2018, 09:07 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Scary Movie 2 2001

One of my favourite horror parodies of all time. I know it’s not exactly held in universal acclaim by fans or critics but honestly, because it’s so funny, I don’t care. It’s just so funny. From the Exorcist opening (which is better than the actual Exorcist movie), to the Caretaker, to the dinner scene, to Cindy vs the Cat, to Ray and the Clown, to Shorty and the weed plant, to the Charlie’s Angels moment- yeah you get the point. I can’t understand why people hate it: i’ve watched it at least 25-30 times since 2010, probably more, and it never ages at all. 10/10

REC 2007

Another masterpiece. Watched it earlier this year and actually, I think it’s the only other horror besides Cannibal Holocaust that I gave full marks to (I need to check out Paranormal Activity again). It combines zombies, mixed with the shaky camera work and and it works to perfection. You get the sense that these zombies are a genuine threat that you can’t stop. None of the sequels really capture this the way the first does (although REC 4: Apocalypse comes close). The cast convince me that they are taking it seriously as well, not a dull performance to be found. Overall its a 10/10

It Follows 2014

The second time I have been completely blown away in this marathon. The first was Don’t Breath. Not knowing what was going to happen with these films helped a lot I think. Reading the back I just assumed that it was an ex-psycho boyfriend coming after his old girlfriend when it is anything but.

It has a bit of Halloween in there. As in, as opposed to predictable jumpscares, it actually has suspense which builds up to genuine scares. And also… Main characters name is Jay, which is short for Jamie… Jamie Lee Curtis from Halloween? Furthermore Jamie Lee has a sister called Kelly in real life, and Jay in this movie has a sister called Kelly. I don’t normally know every actress or actors sibling but I do with Janet/Tony/Jamie/Kelly Curtis. A brilliant family, one of my favourites in Hollywood. Otherwise I wouldn’t have noticed what I assume is a deliberately written easter egg?

So the plot which I have to hide. DO NOT UNCOVER THIS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES IF YOU HAVEN’T SEEN IT.

Okay.
SPOILER:
So basically it’s this weird demon chasing Jay because it gets passed on through sex. So basically the monster is a walking STI: which I think was the angle the film was going for. So she has to work out how to defeat it through either passing it onto someone else through sex or by other means: see the climax for the later.

Overall a modern day masterpiece. 10/10

I also watched Evil Dead II again, but I want to talk about that one a lot more than just briefly. I'll do that one later on...
Old 17th October 2018, 10:29 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Black Torment (1964)

There's something about this film i still find creepy. Robert Hartford-Davis' film has an incredible ambiance to it. When curtains billow and windows fling open in the wind it seems to work here more successfully than many other Gothic horror films. Perhaps it's the oddness of the plot where everyone seems to have spoken to the returned Lord Fordyke whilst he was away marrying his new bride, even though he clearly wasn't around. It's not like crying about a vampire or werewolf killing folk, it's more subtle than that, creating a slow burning chilling environment as the story slowly reveals itself.

Demons (1985)

Lamberto Bava's slighty surreal shocker is an extravaganza of great demon make up, foaming green bile, claws, fangs and gory murders all to the tune of Motley Crue, Accept and Saxon as demons run riot in a Berlin cinema. Great stuff!

.................................................. .................................................. .................

The Changeling (1980)

Extremely slow moving and rather forgettable supernatural tale that borders on the boring despite a stand out performance from George C Scott. The script doesn't seem to know if it wants to be a haunted house mystery or the story of composer Scott's recovery from tragedy, seemingly heading in the latter direction until a firey and perhaps ghostly climax wins through in the dying minutes.

Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers (1995)

I can never decide if this is the work of an unrivaled genius or a sloppy mess in it's mixture of serial killer Michael Myers and Occult shenanigins. Some of the kills are excellent but other sequences are hideous, yet it's a film i return to every October so it must be watchable even if it is so far removed from the John Carpenter original that only Myers, the town of Haddonfield and a returning Donald Pleasence - for the last time - provide any connection.
Surprised me there with The Changeling Dem. I imagined you'd be a big fan of that film.
Old 17th October 2018, 10:45 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Surprised me there with The Changeling Dem. I imagined you'd be a big fan of that film.
I much prefer the other Melvyn Douglas starrer that is Ghost Story. I know they aren't exactly similar films but for whatever reason - perhaps starring older gentlemen - i've classed as similar.
J Harker likes this.
Old 17th October 2018, 10:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Psycho 1960.

After stealing money from her boss and go on the run, Marion Crane makes a stop at Bates Motel run by Norman and his ruling mother.

No matter how many times I have seen this it never gets boring, Anthony Perkins role as Norman is brilliant, he is like the quiet guy but with hidden intentions. Janet Leigh was good as the convincing secretary who ends up dead as Julius Ceasar In the shower. Alfred Hitchcock was a amazing director he knew how to create suspense and tension especially in the scene between the private investigator and Norman there was a sense of something a miss and both men know that they are playing mind games with each other.

The end scene was brilliant with the psychiatrist speaking to Norman giving him explanation but was really mother speaking even with black and white made it all more interesting to watch.10+. I did see the remake when it came out but can't remember much about it...is that a good or bad thing?

Up next Psycho II
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 034psycho.jpg (74.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 17th October 2018, 11:19 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I much prefer the other Melvyn Douglas starrer that is Ghost Story. I know they aren't exactly similar films but for whatever reason - perhaps starring older gentlemen - i've classed as similar.
Ghost Story is good too but I find it a much slower sedate affair.
Old 18th October 2018, 02:18 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
It's a film I need to see again. My auld Tartan vhs still looks reasonable ... cough. Pretty tis this shiny bauble good sire ??
The BD comes with The Blood Spattered Bride (in SD) as an extra feature so if you don't have that then it's worth it. I bought it recently for around a tenner.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 18th October 2018, 02:32 PM
Cult Veteran

House on Haunted Hill (1999)

Watched this one the night after I watched the original. Didn't love it I have to be honest. The editor needs to take his ADHD medicine I quite like that the story was changed a little and that the house was previously an asylum where the inmates were experimented upon. I also liked the cast, everyone was pretty good, I always like Ali Larter and Famke Janssen and I was happy about Peter Gallagher being part of the ensemble. The set design was great too but the CGI and matte painting backgrounds were a bit rubbish!

That ending as well...

Two Evil Eyes (1990)

I've not seen this one for years, I was never a huge fan of it, but I picked up the new BD and gave it another try. Romero's story of a gold digging wife and her secret boyfriend defrauding her dying husband by hypnotism was really enjoyable and the last 20 minutes were genuinely creepy. However, Argento's story was just too grim and gorey for the sake of it and it left me feeling cold. It had one of the worst, anti-climactic endings I've seen in ages too!

I think I'll get re-watch value from The Facts in the Case of Mr. Valdemar but I doubt I'll go back to Harvey Keitel manically strangling a cat any time soon.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Last edited by Justin101; 18th October 2018 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Pictures

Like this? Share it using the links below!