Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th October 2022, 11:54 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

30 Days of Unseen Horror

Day 14

Faust-1926-Poster-MGM.jpg

As God and Satan battle over earth they decide to make a small wager over the soul of Faust an alcamist who has lost all hope during the plague after he fails to stop it from killing the people in his village. Burning all his books Satan see an opportunity to take Faust's soul and sends in Mephisto to tempt him with promises of youth for 24 hours a proposition that Faust cannot resist and hands over his soul instantly. But this is no 24 hours of fun and games and reliving past glories with Maphisto at his side Faust is the one pulling all the string showing him a good time but also betraying his new plaything all the while.

Faust is amazing everything about it is outstanding it's a fantastic story and visually it's stunning full of dark and creepy atmosphere it's also quite a sad a tragic. The innocence and playfulness of Gretchen frolicing in the fields and dreaming of falling in love before she meets Faust and afterwards her life falls apart going through desperation isolation and lonlyness to the brink of madness it's all so sad.

I have always since a child found these silent films very creepy the look of the people and how they were shot just always gave me a feeling of unease and that's a beautiful thing.

Last edited by Nordicdusk; 15th October 2022 at 12:09 PM.
Old 15th October 2022, 12:02 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
30 Days of Unseen Horror

Day 14

Attachment 242672

As God and Satan battle over they decide to make a small wager over the soul of Faust an alcamist who has lost all hope during the plague after he fails to stop it from killing the people in his village. Burning all his books Satan see an opportunity to take Faust's soul and sends in Mephisto to tempt him with promises of youth for 24 hours a proposition that Faust cannot resist and hands over his soul instantly. But this is no 24 hours of fun and games and reliving past glories with Maphisto at his side Faust is the one pulling all the string showing him a good time but also betraying his new plaything all the while.

Faust is amazing everything about it is outstanding it's a fantastic story and visually it's stunning full of dark and creepy atmosphere it's also quite a sad a tragic. The innocence and playfulness of Gretchen frolicing in the fields and dreaming of falling in love before she meets Faust and afterwards her life falls apart going through desperation isolation and lonlyness to the brink of madness it's all so sad.

I have always since a child found these silent films very creepy the look of the people and how they were shot just always gave me a feeling of unease and that's a beautiful thing.
Did you watch this via the Eureka dual format release? Does it look lovely?

I have it down to watch this October at some point. Already seen the dvd version on the Eureka release a few years ago and thought it looked good so look forward to watching the Blu-ray part of the edition soon.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 15th October 2022, 12:07 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Did you watch this via the Eureka dual format release? Does it look lovely?

I have it down to watch this October at some point. Already seen the dvd version on the Eureka release a few years ago and thought it looked good so look forward to watching the Blu-ray part of the edition soon.
No just the dvd sadly I'm sure it will look great on blu ray that I'll definitely pick up now.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 15th October 2022, 01:15 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Black Water. 2007.

3 people venture for a trip to the backwater swamps of Australia, when their boat capsizes they are being stalked by a crocodile.

Based on a true story that happened back in 2003, this was a blind watch for me seeing as there is only 5 actors listed can it be good? The film makers did do a good job and not rely on CGI, the actors must have went through a lot and being filmed on location in different areas and some good blood effects used but it was a slow burner.
I really like this and the similarly themed Rogue.

Old 15th October 2022, 01:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

VIOLATION – Anyone on holiday in a cabin in the woods will meet disaster in some form… it’s easy for me to say that as a horror fan, but crikey, it’s usually not this bad. ‘Violation’ is absolutely a horror film, a rape revenge film, but it’s not exploitative, at least not in the way this kind of film can be. No judgement either way on that one, it’s simply that ‘Violation’ isn’t interested in selling thrills, it wants to show pain. The rape that ignites ‘Violation’s payback inferno is shown glancingly; what happens afterwards is a shriek of despair that once or twice threatens to shatter the screen. The comeuppance meted out to the central perp here might have had problems with the BBFC a few years back (maybe more cos of said creep’s schlong waving than anything else), but the main point is Madeleine Sims-Fewer‘s performance. It goes for the jugular in a way that a less committed film would shy away from and seems to reach deep, at points collapsing into shudders and gasps that recall Isabel Adjani going full-throttle in ‘Possession’. The rest of the film is more subdued but still glowers. In fact, the slow-burn that leads to vengeance is where, for me, the film is at its strongest, foregoing standard beats and plot moves for the sake of building an atmosphere of mounting dread. There’s something about the constant shots of nature that seems sickly and eerie, a sense of poison spreading in lockstep with scenes of ever-more toxic squabbling. Powerful and punishing stuff. Recommended if you’re in the mood for a challenging watch… if you’re not, you could always put on ‘I Spit On Your Grave’ for light relief!
Old 15th October 2022, 02:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I really like this and the similarly themed Rogue.

Can't remember if I have seen Rogue but has popped up a few times, will add it to the watch list
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 15th October 2022, 03:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
VIOLATION – Anyone on holiday in a cabin in the woods will meet disaster in some form… it’s easy for me to say that as a horror fan, but crikey, it’s usually not this bad. ‘Violation’ is absolutely a horror film, a rape revenge film, but it’s not exploitative, at least not in the way this kind of film can be. No judgement either way on that one, it’s simply that ‘Violation’ isn’t interested in selling thrills, it wants to show pain. The rape that ignites ‘Violation’s payback inferno is shown glancingly; what happens afterwards is a shriek of despair that once or twice threatens to shatter the screen. The comeuppance meted out to the central perp here might have had problems with the BBFC a few years back (maybe more cos of said creep’s schlong waving than anything else), but the main point is Madeleine Sims-Fewer‘s performance. It goes for the jugular in a way that a less committed film would shy away from and seems to reach deep, at points collapsing into shudders and gasps that recall Isabel Adjani going full-throttle in ‘Possession’. The rest of the film is more subdued but still glowers. In fact, the slow-burn that leads to vengeance is where, for me, the film is at its strongest, foregoing standard beats and plot moves for the sake of building an atmosphere of mounting dread. There’s something about the constant shots of nature that seems sickly and eerie, a sense of poison spreading in lockstep with scenes of ever-more toxic squabbling. Powerful and punishing stuff. Recommended if you’re in the mood for a challenging watch… if you’re not, you could always put on ‘I Spit On Your Grave’ for light relief!
Duly noted FT.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 15th October 2022, 05:54 PM
Cult Veteran

Satan’s Slave (1976)

A British satanic chiller with lots of boobs, blood and black candles. I enjoyed it. Could have done with some equal opportunity nudity but you know what these 70s films were like! Unintentionally the second Michael Gough as a baddie film I've watched this week

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 15th October 2022, 06:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Satan’s Slave (1976)

A British satanic chiller with lots of boobs, blood and black candles. I enjoyed it. Could have done with some equal opportunity nudity but you know what these 70s films were like! Unintentionally the second Michael Gough as a baddie film I've watched this week

If you liked him in that Justin, check out Crucible of Horror (aka The Corpse) and Horror Hospital.
Old 15th October 2022, 06:35 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default October 14th

Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982)

Watched the film twice last night.

Firstly the US Blu-ray - An in name only Halloween sequel which despite it's script which gets even more daft the longer the film goes on is one hell of a lot fun.

Then followed it up with the old UK Sanctuary dvd to listen to the commentary in which the wonderful Kim Newman and Stephen Jones really dig in to what makes the film tick especially what their great friend Nigel Kneale had to do with the film.

They also destroy the Blade Runner - Deckard is a replicant - theory. Deckard is definitely not a replicant. Halloween III star Stacy Nelkin was originally cast as the final replicant but was cut before filming began due to budgetary reasons. Had she not been cut then she would have been seen as the final replicant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9f88e95c35ce9346c29049f036e84f5c.jpg (86.4 KB, 1 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!