Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th October 2022, 09:59 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default October 9th

The Wolf Man (1941)

Lon Chaney's finest performance and perhaps my favourite werewolf film. A genuine classic monster movie from Universal.

There's a beautiful foggy atmosphere throughout and the film's watchability is helped no end by Claude Rains who is on top form and Evelyn Ankers a fine actress who was one of the first scream queens, not to mention a wonderful cameo from Bela Lugosi as Bela the Gypsy.

It also features one of the great timeless quotes from the forties which along with the scripted ideas regarding werewolves went on to become pretty much the template for every werewolf film since..

Quote:
Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (96.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 10th October 2022, 10:14 PM
Cult Master

30 Days Of Unseen Horror

Day 10

MV5BNTE2OWE1NGItNTQ5OC00NzVkLWI2YjEtMTk4OGJhMWE5ZDYxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQ2MjQyNDc@._V1_.jpg

Cemetery of Terror

Halloween night and a group of medical students head to a party but when they arrive there is no party just a creepy abandoned house. The girls are not best pleased when they discover there was never a party just a plan from the boys to lure the girls away and have their wicked way with them. One of the boys finds an ancient book containing incantations and they decide to get their own back on the moody girls by carrying out a fake ritual on a body they steal but unfortunately for them the incantations are real and the body they snatched was that of a serial killer and now he has returned from the grave thanks to their foolishness.

This story has been told many times over the years and while it's not new it didnt take away from my enjoyment. I loved the look and feel of the abandoned house it looks scuzzy filthy and nasty I could actually feel it on me I could almost smell the damp and the dust on me they really did a great job making it look realistic not like it was staged in any way. The whole film is bursting with atmosphere as I already said the house itself the thick fog everywhere and the cemetery is overgrown and the wooden crosses used for headstones are all broken and falling apart with the paint peeling off of them just like everything else everywhere else in the film.

The killer himself did just look it he was from a 70s prog rock band with some blusher in his cheeks but the kills are awesome slashing faces and ripping out people's guts with his claws his preferred weapon of choice. Usually a group of young kids would wreck my head in a film but these kids were really good they were scared and screaming but at no point was I annoyed by them they really did a great job with a special shout out the the little guy in the cool Michael Jackson jacket back when it was ok to like old MJ

After a little bit of a slow start and too much time spent on very long make out scenes the action really ramps up and gets more and more frantic right up to the end especially the kids in the cemetery is fantastic with so much going on no spoilers so you will have to see it yourself to find out what's happening . They even use the whole oh no the car won't start and the killer is closing in but here it gives a good reason why the car won't start not the sort of I have fallen over myself and can't get up type stupidity.

Great gore great atmosphere great setting and a great soundtrack absolutely loved this.

Last edited by Nordicdusk; 10th October 2022 at 10:40 PM.
Old 10th October 2022, 10:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Book Of Blood. 2009.

A paranormal expert discovers the house she is investigating is more than just haunted.

Second time seeing this in so many years...can't remember when I Last saw this but do remember being in a empty building and although I do and some of us like the works of Clive Barker, this wasn't exactly his best work on the screen. Based on short stories that are stretched to a full length feature, John Harrison does his best with this and creating at dark atmosphere with great cinematography but I felt the acting was just dull, maybe a third viewing may help.

p3632092_v_h9_ad.jpg

Up next Stigmata.
Old 11th October 2022, 12:35 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Stigmata. 1999

Father Andrew Kiernan a Vatican investigator is given a case to look into, a young girl Frankie begins to show signs of Stigmata, the wounds of Christ.

This is quite interesting and a topic that can be questionable so please be gentle with me. People believe that the Stigmata can only happen to those that are very religious but director Rupert Wainwright goes in a different way that a Atheist person can receive the wounds of Christ.

Patrica Arquette plays the happy go lucky hairdresser who becomes the target that those around her thinks that she is loosing her marbles or suffering epilepsy. Gabriel Byrne plays the investigator who didn't have to do much acting as he did study to be priest before the acting bug got him and both them on screen are brilliant. Jonathan Pryce plays the Cardinal who disproves of the news and tries to deny the events yet he seems to think a exorcism is the answer.

The film can b quite tense in some places and especially towards the end with the final confrontation between, The Cardinal, Kiernan and Frankie. One film definitely to watch, (anyone with epilepsy be advised there is one or two club scenes with flashing lights)

s-l600.jpg

Up next City Of The Living Dead.

Last edited by MrBarlow; 11th October 2022 at 02:38 AM.
Old 11th October 2022, 02:38 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

City Of The Living Dead. 1980.

A psychic and a reporter try to close the gates of hell after a priest commits suicide that caused them to open.

A film that was released by Vipco on VHS and piratically ruined it, Arrow Blu-Ray release made me love it. There is really no explanation on how the clergyman's death opens the gates but reporter Christopher George and Katriona MacColl race against time to find the grave of the fallen man and close the gates. I love a simple tale with a good dark atmosphere and the usual Fulci gore.

Sergio Salvati did a great job with the cinematography even with the empty streets that you know some shit will hit the fan and even when our stars and Carlo De Mejo are walking through the cemetery in a slight fog with Fabio Frizzi background score playing just gives it that tense moment that you get the feeling something is going to happen then you get a curve ball.

The gore is done the way we like with Giovanni Lombardo Radice meeting a power tool, future horror director Michele Soavi watching his date literary puke up her own guts while bleeding from the eyes, and cringe worth moment with our three stars and Janet Argen getting covered in maggots.

41S0176XWCL.jpg

Up next Sleepaway Camp 2
Old 11th October 2022, 04:42 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Sleepaway Camp II: Unhappy Campers. 1988.

Angela who is now reformed and under a new identity begins working at a new camp, when the campers begin to misbehave she reverts back to her old ways.

Pamela Springsteen plays the Angela in this and seems a bit more mature, happy and more vocal but still a unbalanced person in life and more creative with some kills or i she just thinking on her feet? Unlike the previous film this does have some black comedy moments blended in but still entertaining even with some cheesy moments.

220px-Sleepaway_Camp_2.jpg

Have a good day all
Old 11th October 2022, 05:40 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default Cult of Chucky

CULT OF CHUCKY

I couldn’t think of a decent pun, so screw it!

I feel like Chuckin’ Tonight! Chuckin’ Tonight!

It’s been four years since the events of Curse of Chucky, and Nica is in a maximum-security asylum. She now believes she suffers from schizophrenia, and blames herself for the events that killed her family. Due to good behaviour, she is transferred to a minimum-security asylum, and to attend group therapy. To help her come to terms with the night, her doctor brings a Good Guy Doll to her sessions. Suddenly, people start turning up dead left and right.

Cult of Chucky is another great entry to the Chucky series. It’s a lot less subtle than Curse of Chucky, but it has far more gags and action. Don Mancini’s direction is even more stylish, clearly doing his best DePalma impression. The cinematography and production design do a fantastic job of creating a cold, sterile environment. This is an extremely white film. The interiors are all shining whites and glass, while outside it snows heavily. Perfect for the bloodletting. And blood there is, as Cult of Chucky is a delightfully gory film.

Mancini’s talents as a writer haven’t faded either, as Cult of Chucky is loaded with hilarious scenes that somehow don’t conflict with the horror, as well as some surprising moments and developments. Chucky’s opinion about some of the staff and residents is hysterical, without ever poking fun at mental illness.

The acting by all is hilarious. Fiona Dourif is superb again, considering she has to play multiple variations of her character. I’m not sure if I would call Alex Vincent a great actor, but his stiltedness is perfect for where Andy Barclay is right now. However, this is still Brad Dourif’s show, and as always, he delivers his lines with relish.

Cult of Chucky is a tremendous horror that effortlessly balances the horror with the comedy, and somehow keeps everything fresh. And it cements the fact that the Chucky series is the best slasher series. All hail Don Mancini!

My ranking of the series:

1. Bride of Chucky
2. Child’s Play
3. Curse of Chucky
4. Cult of Chucky
5. Child’s Play 2
6. Seed of Chucky
7. Child’s Play 3 (the only mediocre one)

P.S. Stay tuned for after the credits. Yet again, there is a little treat for the fans.
Old 11th October 2022, 10:04 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default October 10th

Just the one film last night. My first viewing of the two hour twelve minute directors cut of 1973's

Wonderful. If i have one criticism it's the additional scenes often simply cut away rather than playing out to a conclusion. Regan's spider walk down the stairs really stood out in this way.

It's powers to terrify may have diminished over the years with multiple viewings but i was completely engrossed from the first minute to the last.

The Blu-ray looked and sounded tremendous.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0115 (Small).JPG (20.4 KB, 25 views)
Old 11th October 2022, 12:13 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Just the one film last night. My first viewing of the two hour twelve minute directors cut of 1973's

Wonderful. If i have one criticism it's the additional scenes often simply cut away rather than playing out to a conclusion. Regan's spider walk down the stairs really stood out in this way.

It's powers to terrify may have diminished over the years with multiple viewings but i was completely engrossed from the first minute to the last.

The Blu-ray looked and sounded tremendous.
The director's cut is just William Peter Blatty's cut, no?
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 11th October 2022, 12:21 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post
The director's cut is just William Peter Blatty's cut, no?
Yes, but it does give the film more depth on the whole and actually adds atmosphere i thought. Plus a new scene at the end between Dyer and Kinderman kinda sets up The Exorcist III.

It's the 6:1 sound that's the deal breaker and hits you from all angles. Even simple little things like rustling leaves on the street and subway trains (Ok not so little) sound to be in the room with you.

Like this? Share it using the links below!