Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th October 2022, 05:55 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
Ha ha, well the 'dead deer sex' thing is true of a lot of films!
For me it was just one of those movies that work in that three-in-the-morning, between waking and sleeping kind of way... and I think I would've found it genuinely chilling had it not been for the obvious construction. Might even save my pennies and get the US blu ray if there's anything left after winter.
Unless there's oodles of extras and a 5:1 surround mix i can't imagine a Blu looking any better than a dvd.

I know The Blair Witch Project certainly doesn't.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 20th October 2022, 06:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A woman who is a social worker , children are removed from a woman she knows who is believed to been abusing her kids. Not longer after the kids are taking away , they turn up dead believed to have been drowned.

So not long after this strange things start happening and her children have become withdrawn and have the same type of injuries that the womans kids had. Soon becomes apparent that some supernatural is involved and wants her kids.

Seems to borrow a lot from the conjuring movies with a lot of jump scares and people making the most stupid choices.

Didnt find it scary but was well shot and good acting from the mother and ex priest guy.

We know the story a woman receives a doll from her husband and then all types of disturbing and creepy shit happen.

This always creeped me out ,as always found dolls creepy since I was a kid when my mother collected them , they all just look so evil and they dead creepy eyes just followed you around.

As much as dolls creep me out I always enjoy this one. The wife should of filed for divorce as soon as she set as on Annabel.

Weeping woman must be part of the conjuring universe as the same old priest is in both. Will be watching the other movies the series which I've not seen.

I also get a rosemary baby vibe with the apartment block they move into.

Next the the Terrifier

Last edited by trebor8273; 20th October 2022 at 06:49 PM.
Old 20th October 2022, 08:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Devil Hunter. 1980.

Another very early 80s film on the "Cannibal" genre this time by Jess Franco and his imagination of what a cannibal god will look like with his type of budget and creativity.

A fashion model is kidnapped in a South Africa jungle and her manager hires a ex Vietnam Veteran to rescue her from the thugs that took his model and fend of a group of savages. This does feature the usual Franco cinematography which is decent even with Vaseline on the lens for the P.O.V. shot, decent atmosphere, and Al Cliver trying to be a hero in this one. Franco really did try his best and may not be for everyone's taste but I enjoyed it.

Devil-Hunter-5.jpg

Up next The Devil's Nightmare
Old 20th October 2022, 09:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Feast (2021, Lee Haven Jones)

Folk horror set in Wales.
An MP's wife is holding a dinner party for important guests. But no one knows what's really on the menu tonight ...
Whilst this one looks pretty enough (the house looks familiar cough), I could have done with just a smidgen more flesh on these bones. To say slow burn might be underselling it a tad, but it's all about the finale with this one. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed this, but I can't help finding fault where I see it.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 20th October 2022, 09:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
The Feast (2021, Lee Haven Jones)
He directed what i consider arguably the best episode of the Whitaker era of Doctor Who - Revolution of the Daleks

The only other worth mentioning is The Haunting of Vila Diodati so i admit the competition wasn't great.
Old 20th October 2022, 09:59 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default October 19th

An American Werewolf in London (1981)

I was a bit at odds with myself regarding what to watch last night. Just past the middle of the month and jadedness sets in. It always does on these marathons so i plumped for what i consider the Withnail and I of horror films An American Werewolf in London.

Why Withnail and I? I don't hear you ask. Well i can kinda imagine Richard E Grant and Paul McGann wandering the moors complaining about the weather, their feet being wet and the fact they are on holiday, i mean who the hell goes on a holiday to simply walk? Certainly not Withnail that i can tell you.

Then the greeting they get upon entering the homely pub The Slaughtered Lamb. I can practically see Withnail demanding wine and hot food and not even noticing the pentagram on the wall.

Were i clever enough with editing procedures i'm sure i could place so many scenes from that classic comedy into John Landis classic horror werewolf comedy and i'd have the greatest film of all time. Well. after Casablanca anyway.

Now if Withnail strutted into Rick's Place in Morocco that would be something else wouldn't it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51j8ZLuOjuL._AC_.jpg (24.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 20th October 2022, 10:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Devil's Nightmare. 1971.

A group of tourists on a bus tour stop off at a castle owned by a family that have a dark cloud over them.

Another Euro sleazy shock horror that when it was released it got butchered with editing and scenes trimmed or cut completely, thanks to those who released it gave us the uncut version.

The plot itself isn't something new, nice Gothic castle that hides a dark secret of devil worshiping and sacrifice but with a somewhat bizarre twist that the people on the tour bus represent the seven deadly sins or is it me that looked into this a bit too deep? Filmed on a tight shoe string budget, director Jean Brismee wasn't exactly letting that hamper his view one what could happen and really wasn't shying away from horror and torture and a bit of girl on girl. Cat lovers beware during a certain scene.

MV5BYWM3Y2RkMTUtZTQzYi00MDI3LThmMmUtNDMzZTAzZGViMmQxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzc5MjA3OA@@._V1_.jpg

Up next The Sentinel
Old 20th October 2022, 11:32 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
An American Werewolf in London (1981)

I was a bit at odds with myself regarding what to watch last night. Just past the middle of the month and jadedness sets in. It always does on these marathons so i plumped for what i consider the Withnail and I of horror films An American Werewolf in London.
images (33).jpeg

"I mean to have you, even if it means Lycanthropy !!"

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.

Last edited by nosferatu42; 21st October 2022 at 12:26 AM.
Old 21st October 2022, 12:49 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Setinel. 1977.

Another one of these horrors that doesn't look great at first glance but slowly grows on you and every watch seems like your picking up on little extra bits when the film goes on.

Cristina Raines takes the lead as the fashion model moving into a new building and meeting the new neighbours who seem very happy to be acquainted but have other plans for her unstable mind and body. it seems to have a odd assortment of plot summaries to the Catholic Church and Latin phrases, the gate way to hell and good vs evil. This is a decent horror mixed with some psychological mind games and a really good star cast and great direction from Michael Winner who manages to create a good tense and suspenseful final chapter to the film.

The-Sentinel.jpg

Up next The Slayer
Old 21st October 2022, 03:30 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Slayer. 1982.

Two couples take a vacation to a small island where a woman has seen the island in her dreams and soon after her dreams become reality.

Something probably new back in the day but nothing new we have seen today, a mixture of blurring the lines between fantasy and reality which is decently done here. we got our usual setting of a Island some where in the middle of nowhere that has a very small population which makes it a decent hunting ground.

The film is atmospheric and does have great cinematography, Sarah Kendall, Frederick Flynn, Carol Kottenbrook and Alan McRae play the four vacationers who visit the island and begin to be stalked by a monster that comes from dreams. It may be a slow burner at times and not the most realistic monster but certainly worth a glance at.

The_slayer_1982_vhs_video.jpg

Will try and get The Unborn watched before I leave work and comment later, Have a good day peeps.

Last edited by MrBarlow; 21st October 2022 at 03:42 AM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!