Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th October 2023, 10:40 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Terrifier 2

Art The Clown is back and on the rampage, a Teenage Girl tries to stop him. Other than the way too long running time, this Film delivers on what it's promised, very violent and very gory with some great F/X. David Howard Thornton is a revelation as Art The Clown, his facial expressions are really good.

It'll be interesting if Terrifier 3 gets a full Theatrical Release next year and in a way, I'm surprised that this (And the 1st one) got passed by The BBFC. If they were released in the 80's, they would've been banned as Video Nasties and VIPCO would've released them as Strong Uncut Versions LOL.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t2.jpg (9.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 8th October 2023, 07:09 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Urban Legend. 1998

A killer targeting teens on a college campus using the "Urban Legends" stories as a way of leaving the kills as a calling card. Apart from some good performances Urban Legend has many other assets. The opening sequence alone was enough to keep me hooked especially with a cameo appearance from Brad Dourif who plays a petrol station attendant trying to tell a young woman that someone is in her car and gets pepper sprayed for his troubles.

Robert England turns up as a professor who tries to debunk a much of eating popping candy and drinking a can of fizzy pop but may also be a suspect. Jared Leto is one of the teens who is also a doubters, along with Michael Rosenbaum and Tara Reid. If anyone has seen the slasher film ATM may recognise the same jacked that was inspired by this film. The acting isn't spectacular but everyone tries their best, entertaining enough for a teen slasher.

MV5BNjYxYmQ5YTUtZWVkNy00MjU4LTk2OTktZTAwNzU0MDI2OTdhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUzOTY1NTc@._V1_FMjpg_UX100.jpg

Last edited by MrBarlow; 8th October 2023 at 07:59 AM.
Old 8th October 2023, 08:52 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Scream. 2022.

Sadly Wes Craven died in 2015 but Matt Bettinelli-Olpin and Tyler Gillett took over directing with writer Kevin Willamson returning as co-writer for a 20 odd year reunion with the original three and Skeet Ulrich making a small cameo as Billy Loomis ghost. This one seemed to be getting a bashing but strangely I found it enjoyable, ok there a bit of a "you F@$King C%nt" moment in this and karma can come back and bite someone in the ass. The ending does seem to be the same as a previous film with the killer(s) trying to re-create a different amateurish ending that we know may not end well for some.
Old 8th October 2023, 11:04 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Sream VI. 2023.

Survivors of the previous Woodsboro onslaught are now living in New York and are once again a target for Ghostface.

What started off with a decent killing in public and the reason seems genuine enough and then the killer becomes a target I can go along with that. Gale appears and gets cheaped shot which was a laugh and two decent kills but this became a waste of time for me. Seems like the makers were given a load of money to make another movie and must have thought we can't go anywhere with the franchise and just run it into the ground. Some scenes were going on for way too long and very boring.

GUEST_00406ee3-d67e-4d2b-b45d-3f4bca93ec86.jpeg
Old 8th October 2023, 11:36 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Default Round-up Post

I'm rubbish at keeping on top of the reviews so here is a little round-up of the past few days!

Wed 4th
Scream 3 (2000)

Easily the worst of the original films, but still has enough to make it worth a watch. Parker Posey steals the show with an insane performance of 'Hollywood Gale'.

Thu 5th
Lost Boys: The Tribe (2008)

Wait, so it turns out that Corey Feldman isn't a good actor... lol

This was not a good film at all, but I still quite enjoyed it, surfing vampires! Frat Bro vamps pranking each other were very annoying though, I miss Kiefer and gang. Looking forward to the next installment!

Fri 6th
Blood and Black Lace (1964)

It was almost 8 years since I last saw this, the new 4k has just come out, but instead of buying it again (when my bluray has sat unwatched for 8 years) I paid £4 to buy the digital 4k edition. It's a good film in aesthetics and direction, but the story is thin. That being said, who doesn't love seeing international models being shoved off this mortal coil in inventive ways?

Sat 7th
Scream and Scream Again (1970)

What was that all about? There are so many story strands going on it's hard to keep up, I think it could easily do without the political angle and just focus on the mad scientist part. I enjoyed it though, didn't have a bloody clue what was going on for the first 30 mins, but it was good fun!

Sun 8th
Bedlam (1946)

This seemed like a good Sunday afternoon film. Part melodrama and part horror. Imagine being locked in an asylum out of spite! Great performances by Karloff and Anna Lee, not so good from Richard Fraser as the bricklaying quaker! It was as if he was reading his lines from a board held behind the camera! The WB Archive disc looks amazing, great restoration from the original nitrates.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 8th October 2023, 12:28 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

GHOSTWATCH – “There are no creaking gates, no gothic towers, no shuttered windows,” – so said Parky at the beginning of ‘Ghostwatch’, a live-on-air journey to the supernatural underside of the UK TV heartland, where you’re more likely to get freaked out in the bedroom of a pebbledashed cul-de-sac than in the corridor of a deserted mansion. Infamous now as the hoax that spawned a tabloid furore and a BBC ban, it’s hard to imagine anyone sitting down with their mug of Horlicks these days seeing ‘Ghostwatch’ as anything other than a put-on from the start. To moan about that would be to miss the point by a country mile, though. Its genius lay in its ability to blindside - casual viewers and channel hoppers likely asked themselves “what the f@ck” when flipping from a 1992 KitKat ad to wonky vid cam footage of a terrified Sarah Greene and screaming children, for which there was very little real precedent at the time. Callow young Frankie watched it when it first aired, expecting the usual twee spectres, maybe a bit of poltergeist stuff – dead wrong. Even if you’re viewing it as a dramatic construct, there’s an inexplicable strain in the air from the start, a tension that darkens to outright menace after the chaos kicks in midway. Incidentals and little details accumulate unease as they filter through via studio phone-ins and tales from passers-by on the ground – I can remember realising something was fundamentally off about it during the bit where someone in a really bleak looking playground tells Craig Charles a story about a mutilated pregnant dog. It seldom hits the wrong note, but there are a few little missteps to break the spell here and there; the girl with the grafted-on “mr evil voice” doesn’t play quite as well these days and maybe didn’t at the time. But all that’s overshadowed by what director Lesley Manning and writer Stephen Volk sustain on the back of surprisingly dark creative choices, and I always forget that the haunting’s backstory is mired in an account of awful abuse and nasty shit. More interesting still is the conceptual ambition signalled after it broadens out and takes on almost Nigel Kneale-esque type proportions – “we’ve created a broadcast séance!” – and you get this very potent sense of a UK made of little grey houses and depressing estates sitting atop a terrain of vast and unknowable forces, some of which might have erupted in the studio that night. Never disappoints as a rewatch, and genuinely a pivotal moment in UK TV history. Even if the moment’s gone, I’d somehow love a remake directed by Ben Wheatley, with Alan Partridge standing in for Parkinson.
Old 8th October 2023, 01:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Grudge. 2020.

Set during between The Grudge and The Grudge 2 and three stories set over a period of time concerning a house, not in Japan but in America. It is told how exactly the curse came to torment a new house and family.

John Cho and his wife are expecting a new baby and are tormented by the spirit. Frankie Faison and wife Lin Shaye look for assisted suicide. Andrea Riseborough is the new detective in the force and looking into a crime that may be connected to the house. Spine chilling and terrifying this film ain't, the jump scares are very much non-existent but William Sandler does have a decent small role as a troubled detective. There is a decent dark tone atmospheric mode throughout the film that sets the dark mode perfectly even though the acting can be questionable at times but plenty blood splatter moments.

the-grudge-2020-button-1571759206424.jpg

House Of 1000 Corpses up next.
Old 8th October 2023, 01:11 PM
Cult Master

30 Days of Unseen Horror

Day 7

MV5BNTM4MzM1NTg5Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzMzNjM1NA@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

After the tragedy of losing an unborn child Emily and Nate Weaver move to the countryside to live in Nate's ansectrial home leaving behind the trauma and hoping for a clean fresh start. Not long after settling in Emily falls pregnant again and while she is still scared senseless she is over the moon but strangely Nate doesn't appear to share her joy maybe he is just worried something will go wrong himself or is there something else going on. With Nate's work taking up more and more of his time Emily spends a lot more time alone at home and strange things start to happen around the house and she starts to uncover the dark secrets of the Weaver families past.

I wasn't expecting much from this going in so how could it manage to let me down well it did. I know it's impossible to find anything new or original with these sort of haunted house films but this was just plain boring it had zero tension zero atmosphere and zero interesting things happening. At the beginning I felt the acting was solid but as the film goes on the a ting just got worse it was very stiff and the dialogue wasn't delivered naturally I mean some of the actors were decent but their lines were just bad so that just made any half decent performance seem awful. Also a major thing I hated was the way they divided it up into chapters of sorts the screen would go black and then THE REGROWTH or some rubbish would come up on the screen completely pointless I just couldn't see the logic behind it a terrible choice adding that.

Ita not a terrible film in that I didn't turn it off and it didn't make me angry watching it but it's a boring film that I couldn't recommend.

Last night it felt like a good idea to add a newer film into the mix well it wasn't. A newer film yeah from 2010 you get what I mean.

I'm going to throw that blu ray in the bin now.
Old 8th October 2023, 01:53 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I have Fertile Ground on dvd. Part of a series called After Dark Originals. They all look really good on the shelf together with their matching orange spines.

Can't remember anything at all about the film though.
Old 8th October 2023, 01:57 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I have Fertile Ground on dvd. Part of a series called After Dark Originals. They all look really good on the shelf together with their matching orange spines.

Can't remember anything at all about the film though.
I have a couple of the blu rays not watched any of them before today.

Like this? Share it using the links below!