Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th October 2023, 05:26 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
No I only watched it on YouTube but I will be buying it . Can you recommend a good release ?
Get the 88 Films release. It's a lovely print and as i said has a great chat track.
There's also a 12 page booklet which smells lovely. (I'm a bit weird that way, i'm sure nobody else sniffs their booklets)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Torture-Cha...s%2C473&sr=8-2
Nordicdusk and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 12th October 2023, 05:38 PM
Cultist

It is a bit weird but I like to smell the booklet but sometimes the smell can be a bit sickly but I just like the smell of a new booklet.
Old 12th October 2023, 06:35 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Get the 88 Films release. It's a lovely print and as i said has a great chat track.
There's also a 12 page booklet which smells lovely. (I'm a bit weird that way, i'm sure nobody else sniffs their booklets)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Torture-Cha...s%2C473&sr=8-2
Nice one thanking you.

Totally understandable you can't beat the smell of a new book or poster
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 12th October 2023, 06:45 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Nice one thanking you.

Totally understandable you can't beat the smell of a new book or poster

There is this one as well, just saying…

The Eurocrypt Of Christopher Lee Collection (Blu-ray + CD) [8-Disc Collector's Set] https://amzn.eu/d/8SaM0Xd

I’ll be going now
Demoncrat likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 12th October 2023, 08:32 PM
Cult Veteran

Default Another Catch-Up Post!

Another Catch-Up Post!

Mon 9th Oct
The Ghoul (1933)

Well I hate to say it, I found this pretty boring, with a few good bits and one of those cheat endings we all hate However, I extracted the audio commentary by Stephen Jones and Kim Newman from my DVD and listened to it with my headphones while out for a walk. Much better than the movie was

Tue 10th Oct
Two Orphan Vampires (1997)

Jean Rollin's late period vampire epic, where really not a lot happens. Two blind girls get pimped off by the nuns to the first daddy to come along, who just happens to be an eye surgeon Only these girls aren't really blind, they're vampires who lose their sight in daytime only for it to come back in the evening. We get to go on nighttime adventures with the two girls and meet strange people and victims alike. I'd never seen this one before, fearing that the later films wouldn't be as good, but I honestly loved this.

Wed 11th Oct
Dolls (1987)

Annoying kid alert! Also annoying adults and two weird old people
I do like this one really, but it is also kind of shit haha, those two punk girls are amazing though; they're punk through the eyes of someone who doesn't know what punk is. I liked the bit where punk girl #1 gets her face smashed against the wall

Thu 12th Oct
The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires (1974)

A blind spot in my Hammer viewing, so tonight's first time watch was a bit of a wild ride. I didn't expect to see so much blood or so many boobs! The 70s are in full swing here. The story itself is 100% hokum, but there are some brilliant visuals. The flashback scene while Van Helsing is giving his lecture is amazing. The undead rising from their graves, spooky! Really enjoyed it even if it's nothing like a Hammer film or a Shaw Brothers production either.

Old 12th October 2023, 09:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ooooh continuity!

Dracula: Prince Of Darkness

Tourists eh?
A family group are on a climbing tour of Eastern Europe. Meeting a monk who warns them off a forthcoming destination, they blithely ignore this to their cost all because we have to keep to our schedule what what. Ahem.
This old warhorse never lets me down. With a faint whiff of the source material in the structure, we get Lee at his most animalistic (even though he never shuts up in the commentary ), and even though Kier is no replacement for you know who, he handled his end of the log admirably. This BD yet again shows me something new (how pale Klove is etc etc)
, and I must redouble efforts to get more of them. Ahem.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 12th October 2023, 09:50 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default October 10th (2)

Hellions (2015)

A young woman sits at home on Halloween night when trick or treaters knock at the door...

Okay tell me if you've seen this one before. For twenty minutes i certainly had. Creepy kid trick or treaters stood silently on the doorstep, looking uncannily like Sam from Trick 'r Treat (2007), then a few minutes later 'Sam' knocks again this time with a couple of 'friends' one of them clutching a bag of sweets and the severed head of the girls boyfriend.

Then the shit really hits the fan as the film veered into territory i'd never imagined. Directed by Bruce McDonald who made the inventive Pontypool (2008), Hellions degenerates into some sort of hellish fever dream. The colour scheme becomes an abstract landscape of pink veering off into purples and off kilter yellows. The plot which to begin with was simplicity in itself becomes some sort of deranged surreal mindf*ck.

The imagery on show is startling, from fields of burning pumpkins bathed in a pink hue to unborn Lovecratian infants being sliced out of stomachs, anyone expecting some sort of Halloween comfort zone won't find it here and it's driven along by a pulsing soundtrack that would have Reznor scratching his head.

Hellions is a film so far out of the ordinary it has to be seen, it's an imaginative, psychedelic and unsettling experience which once again worked very nicely as an a-typical Halloween treat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1342 (Large).JPG (29.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 12th October 2023, 10:29 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default October 11th

Halloween (2007)

Rob Zombie's remake / re-imagining of John Carpenter's horror classic is largely very successful. The first forty minutes are where Zombie excels, giving us a lot of previously unexplored background information on Michael Myers' childhood and attempting to deal with the hows and whys of him becoming a mass murderer. Arguably this isn't a direction the film needed to go in as many agree the almost motiveless killer doesn't require back story but by going down this avenue Zombie tries something new rather than just a typical retread of familiar ground. It's an idea the director clearly has fun with - the whole dysfunctional family is bread and butter to him following films such as House of 1000 Corpses.

The second third is indeed familiar ground as it's basically a revamp of the Carpenter film. Introducing us to Laurie Strode, with the likable Scout Taylor-Compton replacing Jamie Lee Curtis
and her family and friends, among them Danielle Harris playing a different character to the one she played in Halloween 4 and 5 in decades past.

The final twenty minutes still feels like a run of the mill trip into generic lights out slasher territory with Zombie unable to bring any of the tension or scares Carpenter managed with his original.

Zombie brings in an impressive cast with several horror icons taking roles - Ken Foree, Dee Wallace, Udo Keir, Sybil Danning, Richard Lynch, Brad Dourif, and Clint Howard as well as jobs for the boys - Sid Haig, Bill Moseley - and the missus - Sheri Moon. The casting of Malcolm McDowell is spot on as a different Dr. Loomis.

All in all, Halloween is a good film with, i should add a terrific soundtrack, which mixes classic rock - Kiss, Blue Oyster Cult, Rush - with John Carpenter's iconic original score. it's also tremendously violent. There are certainly enough differences to warrant watching Rob Zombie's Halloween and i think it's one of the better remakes of classic horror films this century has thrust upon us.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1347 (Large).JPG (42.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 13th October 2023, 08:24 AM
Cult Veteran

It's Friday the 13th so which Jason film are you watching tonight? Last time it was F13 during the October horror marathon was 2015, I watched the first film back then. Tonight i'm going with F13 3D although I might regret it

Old 13th October 2023, 10:10 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
It's Friday the 13th so which Jason film are you watching tonight? Last time it was F13 during the October horror marathon was 2015, I watched the first film back then. Tonight i'm going with F13 3D although I might regret it
Jason Lives of course.

Last edited by Nordicdusk; 13th October 2023 at 11:33 AM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!