Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Poll: Which kind of giallo do you like best?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Which kind of giallo do you like best?

Like Tree822Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #221  
Old 7th November 2010, 08:44 PM
the blob's Avatar
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader
 
Join Date: May 2010
Blog Entries: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
Glad you liked it!
The image quality is also the best around.
I'm quite surprised the ones at OMG haven't sold out already.
I'm guessing everyone's going to wait till it's oop and fetching ridiculous amounts?
I'm surprised too! I've been dying for a good replacement for the velvet one for years and this one really is it. The old extras weren't subtitled anyway so I can't say I miss them, haha!

EDIT: Of course, it's also possible that word of the hidden English dub hasn't spread enough but I'd have thought people who were really interested would know by now..
Reply With Quote
  #222  
Old 7th November 2010, 09:58 PM
bdc's Avatar
bdc bdc is offline
Cult Addict
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Belgium
Default

Just finished watching The Case of the Bloody Iris (think it's been 2 years since I last watched this).
Top giallo in my book,great cast (possibly my favorite Fenech/Hilton giallo),beautiful photography/settings,fun twists and red herrings,some grisly murder scenes,a bit of sleaze,lots of comedy scattered throughout and a fantastic soundtrack!

Like I mentioned before I would love to see a decently subbed Italian version of this one appear on dvd...

The final ending is a bit of a puzzler though?
I think I may have my own theory on that.

Reply With Quote
  #223  
Old 8th November 2010, 08:59 PM
bdc's Avatar
bdc bdc is offline
Cult Addict
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Belgium
Default

Just received...
Tenebre (Fnac Exclusive) (1982) (RB,Wildside) Blu-ray
Will be checking this out tonight.
I'm getting the to-be-released Arrow as well btw.

Reply With Quote
  #224  
Old 8th November 2010, 09:55 PM
the blob's Avatar
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader
 
Join Date: May 2010
Blog Entries: 3
Default

Death Smiles At Murder.. what a hoot to revisit that one!

Personally I'm on the side of it not being a Giallo. It has Gialloesque traits but to me the supernatural and gothic characteristics are far more overpowering, especially when it comes to the identity of the killer and, without wanting to give anything anyway for anyone that hasn't seen it, her 'state' at the time. Overall it reminds me more of a Poe story than a giallo and I think you can really see some obvious Poe influences in there.

Anyway, I really like the film. It's got it's bad moments but I think D'Amato does just enough to hold the confusion together. The cinematography is very rich in parts, has a good cast and the overall 'plot' is very good and well-intentioned, although could have been executed better but that just adds to the surreal experience, which is one of the film's biggest plus points. It touches on some seedy subjects too without going over the top, although none of the murders are particularly memorable. Incest, necrophilia, lesbians and murder... what more do you really need?

I wonder what it would have been like if D'Amato had made it ten years later?
Reply With Quote
  #225  
Old 9th November 2010, 08:21 PM
bdc's Avatar
bdc bdc is offline
Cult Addict
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Belgium
Default

Love Death Smiles At Murder!
Would classify it as a gothic horror though,like you mentioned.

Watched part of Tenebre on blu last night...
It looks very nice and blows my Dutch dvd away!
It also seems to be the complete version!
It does have fixed French subs so I watched the Italian version (French is no problem here).
Planning on watching the English version later.

I must admit that i was tired yesterday night so watching this actually awake may be even more impressive!

The subs are discreet and it reminded me a bit of watching a foreign import vhs.

Extras are very minimal with a short interview featurette which has Argento (talking French),Simonetti (talking Italian) and Tovoli (also talking French) discussing the film.

Of course I'm also planning to get the Arrow release (which should use the same hd master) when it's released next year,but just couldn't help myself (just had to get this).
I'm certain Arrow will have lots more nice extras and will be a lot cheaper than this "Fnac exclusive" (almost 30 Euro including DHL shipping to Belgium).
Reply With Quote
  #226  
Old 9th November 2010, 09:23 PM
Cultist in Training
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Default Tenebrae

I'm sure most of you have watched it, so i'd like to ask something. Have you ever come across some sort of "official" explanation of the beach scenes? These are of the copycat's, but it it a fantasy or it happened? Or maybe half of this happened and the murder of the cute transexual is the fantasy? I am so confused.
Reply With Quote
  #227  
Old 10th November 2010, 07:43 AM
Argentofan's Avatar
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Pontypridd, Wales
Default

Doesn't the cop explain at the end that it was Peter Neal doing the killing on the island and in the film he gives that woman those red shoes, which he took from the murder sequence on the beach. I'm guessing the first sequence on the beach (when she put her heel in his mouth) is why he killed her later on.

? Not sure

Someone else could explain better.
Reply With Quote
  #228  
Old 10th November 2010, 05:11 PM
unclefred's Avatar
Cultist in Training
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
Just finished watching The Case of the Bloody Iris (think it's been 2 years since I last watched this).
Top giallo in my book,great cast (possibly my favorite Fenech/Hilton giallo),beautiful photography/settings,fun twists and red herrings,some grisly murder scenes,a bit of sleaze,lots of comedy scattered throughout and a fantastic soundtrack!

Like I mentioned before I would love to see a decently subbed Italian version of this one appear on dvd...

The final ending is a bit of a puzzler though?
I think I may have my own theory on that.

After reading your post at Latarnia, I started thinking that there is a theme in the film that is amplified by the hysterical monologue of the crazy guys Mother, next door. The raving about modern young women being immoral sluts, etc. and being responsible for their own murders...Most of the women were shady ladies in fact. I'm wondering if the call at the end is just to tie in with another shady, immoral, modern woman?
__________________
This is what it feels like to hit your peak.
Reply With Quote
  #229  
Old 10th November 2010, 08:35 PM
bdc's Avatar
bdc bdc is offline
Cult Addict
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Belgium
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclefred View Post
After reading your post at Latarnia, I started thinking that there is a theme in the film that is amplified by the hysterical monologue of the crazy guys Mother, next door. The raving about modern young women being immoral sluts, etc. and being responsible for their own murders...Most of the women were shady ladies in fact. I'm wondering if the call at the end is just to tie in with another shady, immoral, modern woman?
That could be another plausible explanantion.
Reply With Quote
  #230  
Old 10th November 2010, 09:03 PM
bdc's Avatar
bdc bdc is offline
Cult Addict
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Belgium
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentofan View Post
Doesn't the cop explain at the end that it was Peter Neal doing the killing on the island and in the film he gives that woman those red shoes, which he took from the murder sequence on the beach. I'm guessing the first sequence on the beach (when she put her heel in his mouth) is why he killed her later on.

? Not sure

Someone else could explain better.
I'm planning on watching Tenebre tomorrow.

Last edited by bdc; 11th November 2010 at 10:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply  

Like this? Share it using the links below!

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Our goal is to keep Cult Labs friendly. If you feel discouraged from posting by certain members' behaviour then you can e-mail us in complete confidence.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
All forum posts are contributed by members of the site; Cult Labs cannot take responsibility for all content posted on the site. If you have an issue with content posted on the site please click the 'report post' button.
Copyright © 2014 Cult Laboratories Ltd. All rights reserved.