Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd February 2015, 08:48 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

The Pledge (2001). * * * ½
Directed by Sean Penn. Starring Jack Nicholson, Aaron Eckhart, Helen Mirren, Robin Wright Penn, Vanessa Redgrave, Sam Shepard, Benicio del Toro, Patricia Clarkson.

A little girl is brutally murdered. When a suspect is quickly identified and apprehended, the case seems to be clear. It becomes even clearer when Detective Krolak (Eckhart) forces a confession out of a retarded Indian (del Toro). When the latter decides that he doesn’t want to be a guest of the state for the rest of his life and shoots himself with a cop’s gun, the case is closed. Not for Jerry Black (Nicholson), though, an elderly Detective one day shy of his retirement. He assumes the duty to inform the girl’s parents (Clarkson and O'Keefe) and promises the mother to find the killer - a pledge that keeps him occupied for the rest of the film.

This is a slow and quiet film. With a run time of almost two full hours, director Sean Penn (yes, the actor) takes his time without stretching our patience. There was not a single minute where I lost interest in the progress of the story. One reason for that: many famous names in the cast. Almost all of them (see below for the only exception) are good choices, and Nicholson is the perfect actor to carry us along with him. His transformation from an excellent cop to a family person to a drunkard is totally believable, and the scenes between him and little Chrissy (Pauline Roberts) are as heart-warming and touching as those with Lori (R.W.Penn). His growing obsession to find the real killer culminates in final thirty minutes which are amongst the very best ever filmed.

This is not your run-of-the-mill Mystery Thriller. It’s based on an excellent book by Friedrich Dürrenmatt, it has a great script, masterful direction, and a fine cast. The last half-hour is as non-Hollywood as you can get. Highly recommended. Half a star deducted for a ridiculous performance of Mickey Rourke.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the pledge.jpg (90.7 KB, 61 views)
Old 22nd February 2015, 10:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Manhunter

The first Hannibal lecter film before anyone had really heard of the character. For me far superior to the remake (red dragon )in nearly every way, acting,direction and soundtrack. Vary tame compared to the tv show which is to be expect with its age. In someways I found Cox's performane more menacing than Hopkins whose performance as the movies went on seemed to get more OTT and hammy. 8/10
Am I the only man on this planet who thinks Manhunter is the definition of how not to make a film out of a book? I have read all the Harris books and neither of the films do justice to the character of Francis Dolarhyde but Bryan Cox is a terrible terrible terrible Hannibal. Hannibal is a sophisticated Eastern-European/American man, and I couldn’t imagine even seeing Cox's name on a list of people you would cast for that role if your instructions were to find an educated sophisticated Eastern European-American citizen to be in your movie??

Also, the soundtrack to the Manhunter film is irritating. I will never forget the god awful ‘Inna Godda Davida’ song ever. Whenever im stressed i can hear that song on loop, just like in the movie. It's just so annoying to hear, if a lobotomy would take that sound away I would take one.

The character of Will Graham is complicated and almost autistic in style. The best actor I have seen imitate that character from the book is the actor from the current TV show. He has the job, as far as im concerned. The actor in manhunter has such flat delivery of Will's lines when Will is talking his way into a crime scene. I have no idea how this movie or it's below par cast ever inspired such over the top admiration from the viewers.

I respect Trebor and this isn’t aimed at bringing his opinion down because I don’t know anyone who feels like I do. However, after trying to watch this film five or six times I just can't see it for anything other than a bastardisation of Harris and his work. I feel we all owe Harris a little more than to compare Manhunter with Red Dragon but IF we must, how can anyone discount Philly Hoffman as Fred Lounds. Also, Anthony Hopkins will always be the best Hannibal and ‘Ralph-strange-name-Fiennes’ does a great job of channeling Dolarhyde (but like I said neither of the actors that have played this evil character have done the book justice in my opinion).

Guys help me out here, this film is bloody terrible. Honestly just terrible.
Rik likes this.
Old 22nd February 2015, 10:32 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I'm not a big fan of Manhunter either. I don't own it on dvd however i used to have the vhs.

I really rate Brian Cox, a fine actor from these shores and someone i go out of my way to watch, but as you say he's not Lecter, not how Harris portrays him anyway.

I'm not really a fan of Michael Mann's early film work, yes it's stylish but also empty and those Tangerine Dream soundtracks really annoy (yes i know they aren't on show in this film but it's still droning synths). Oddly though i really like Miami Vice the series, which is also drenched in 80's synths. Sorry i can't explain why perhaps it's the sunnier Jan Hammer beats that go perfectly with what we're seeing.
Vipp likes this.

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 22nd February 2015 at 10:45 PM.
Old 22nd February 2015, 10:40 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

It's the other way around for me. Whilst I like Mann's earlier films (Manhunter and Thief are both great - although I hated Manhunter the first time I watched it and it took a couple more viewings before it 'grew' on me), I'm not a fan of his later stuff. Perhaps cinematic sacrilege, but I can't really take to Heat. Besides the draw of DeNiro and Pacino in the same film (which in itself is overblown but at the same time a shrewd piece of marketing ) I find it a very dull, overlong, drawn out piece of film-making. I haven't seen Miami Vice, although I've never seen (or felt the need to see) the show it's based on and therefore the film too.

Anyone who knows me and the type of music I enjoy and post in the what are you listening / electro music threads will also know my stance in regards to the synth soundtracks of the aforementioned films
keirarts, trebor8273, Vipp and 2 others like this.
Old 22nd February 2015, 10:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
It's the other way around for me. Whilst I like Mann's earlier films (Manhunter and Thief are both great - although I hated Manhunter the first time I watched it and it took a couple more viewings before it 'grew' on me), I'm not a fan of his later stuff. Perhaps cinematic sacrilege, but I can't really take to Heat. Besides the draw of DeNiro and Pacino in the same film (which in itself is overblown but at the same time a shrewd piece of marketing ) I find it a very dull, overlong, drawn out piece of film-making. I haven't seen Miami Vice, although I've never seen (or felt the need to see) the show it's based on and therefore the film too.

Anyone who knows me and the type of music I enjoy and post in the what are you listening / electro music threads will also know my stance in regards to the synth soundtracks of the aforementioned films
I'd forgotten he directed the film of Miami Vice. That was terrible. I was meaning the series as i've now made clearer in the original post.

As for Heat? Well, to me it's a modern masterpiece.
keirarts, trebor8273, Vipp and 1 others like this.
Old 22nd February 2015, 11:14 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

2001: A Space Odyssey

8/10

The Green Zone

Best film on Iraq I have seen. From what I can gather myself, massively underrated. As equally well acted, equally, perhaps even more intelligent and so more engaging than that supposed masterpiece The Hurt Locker.

9/10.
keirarts, trebor8273 and Vipp like this.
Old 23rd February 2015, 06:57 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShaw View Post
Of course I was in London to see Profundo Rosso with a live musical score and despite the technical problems (in the latter part of the first half) hearing and seeing Claudio Simonetti and co. perform their live soundtrack accompaniment was a real treat (perhaps not as good as last years Suspiria, but that has more to do with the film). They stayed around after the film to play a role call of Argento/Goblin greatest hits. Simply sublime! Hopefully they will turn up around the festival circuit so that I have a chance to see the performance gremlin free. I have some very grainy photos from my Handy that I will share on my diary thread.
I preferred this to the live Suspiria screening although like you this has to do with the film Absolutely loved every second of it.

Got to be honest I didn't notice any technical issues in the first half. The only think i did notice was you could hear the band's cues in the 2nd half a bit. The set at the end was a great touch.
keirarts and Vipp like this.
Old 23rd February 2015, 10:01 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched Slayground (1983, Terry Bedford).
Not as engaging as Deadly Strangers imo. Though that is slightly unfair...

Footsteps aka Vengeance Day (2006, Gareth Evans as GH Evans)
See gag, it still goes on.....
The rather violent "debut" from the chap who brought us The Raid, it reminded me of various splatter films (Ittenbach etc), though tis nae as engaging as Olef's work haha. Must stop using engaging ahem!

Haven't plugged in the VHS yet, though I will, as I must see what this Fear Chamber is like (aka the Torture Zone). Last tape I picked up second hand etc.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 23rd February 2015, 10:12 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipp View Post
Am I the only man on this planet who thinks Manhunter is the definition of how not to make a film out of a book? I have read all the Harris books and neither of the films do justice to the character of Francis Dolarhyde but Bryan Cox is a terrible terrible terrible Hannibal. Hannibal is a sophisticated Eastern-European/American man, and I couldn’t imagine even seeing Cox's name on a list of people you would cast for that role if your instructions were to find an educated sophisticated Eastern European-American citizen to be in your movie??

Also, the soundtrack to the Manhunter film is irritating. I will never forget the god awful ‘Inna Godda Davida’ song ever. Whenever im stressed i can hear that song on loop, just like in the movie. It's just so annoying to hear, if a lobotomy would take that sound away I would take one.

The character of Will Graham is complicated and almost autistic in style. The best actor I have seen imitate that character from the book is the actor from the current TV show. He has the job, as far as im concerned. The actor in manhunter has such flat delivery of Will's lines when Will is talking his way into a crime scene. I have no idea how this movie or it's below par cast ever inspired such over the top admiration from the viewers.

I respect Trebor and this isn’t aimed at bringing his opinion down because I don’t know anyone who feels like I do. However, after trying to watch this film five or six times I just can't see it for anything other than a bastardisation of Harris and his work. I feel we all owe Harris a little more than to compare Manhunter with Red Dragon but IF we must, how can anyone discount Philly Hoffman as Fred Lounds. Also, Anthony Hopkins will always be the best Hannibal and ‘Ralph-strange-name-Fiennes’ does a great job of channeling Dolarhyde (but like I said neither of the actors that have played this evil character have done the book justice in my opinion).

Guys help me out here, this film is bloody terrible. Honestly just terrible.
I never found Hopkins scary in SOTL. Now if had been Mark Heap
trebor8273 and Vipp like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 23rd February 2015, 10:52 AM
Cult Addict

Hopkins is Lecter. Brian Cox was neither here nor there and not in Manhunter enough for it to matter much. Mads in the series is terrible, has the charisma of a boiled potato.
Rik and Vipp like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!