Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179653Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th May 2017, 08:25 PM
Cult Addict

Stakeland II. 2016. Dan Berk and Robert Olsen.

Some years after the events of Stakeland Boy has settled up north in a settlement in Canada. Following the murder of his family at the hands of the brotherhood led by a one eyed female vampire, boy becomes consumed with revenge and sets out to enlist the help of his old mentor Mister. Given i love Jim Mickles original and taking into account some of the not particularly positive comments on here i wasn't expecting much from this sequel where Mickle has opted to produce but not direct. I was pleasantly surprised. While its not really on a par with the first this is still an entertaining atmospheric film and I'll be picking it up on disc sooner rather than later.
Old 15th May 2017, 09:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

When a group a survivors from ship that sink sank near a island that was used in nuclear testing a expedition is sent to investigate why the survivors had no signs of radiation poisoning and mention seeing people. At the island they come across to women one foot in height, an evil business man kidnaps them , forcing them to perform in shows. This awakens mothra who goes seeking to free them, its up to a scientist and a reporter to locate too rescue them from the business man, before mothra destroys everything in her path. This was the start of the monsters being indvidauls and not mindless killing machines like Godzilla a and Rodan before, unlike those Mothra is a force of good. Also she Is my favorite of the Kaiju. 7.5/10

Now watching Godzilla's return after a seven year absence, we get not one but two iconic monsters the other of course being King Kong.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22fba3404ec7bfbd86d5752c56791e30.jpg (99.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 15th May 2017, 09:29 PM
Cult Acolyte

Bad Words. Jason Bateman is a foul mouthed 40 year old slacker who has his own reasons for using a loophole to become an entrant in a national Spelling Bee in this very funny film that has got to be one of the few decent comedies of the 2010s. Enjoyed this just as much second time, really funny but with a bit of heart too. Very enjoyable.
Old 15th May 2017, 10:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Shark Exorcist (2015, Donald Farmer)
Wooh mama. First off, I must say I loved the main theme, like Absurd, every time you hear it, someone's gonna die. A uniquely strange experience, disorientating but not in a good way, more like if you've sampled your schizoid mate's medication and for a 67 min film, it never seems to actually end
I look forward to many sequels.

Instant Death (2016, Ara Paiaya)
Fisher Price rampage movie starring The Hulk. Quite nasty in places.

London (2005, Hunter Richards)
Stafam snorts coke whilst sporting a super side parting . Up there with In The Name Of The King in the WTF stakes. Was Worth the wait

Dead Heat (1988, Mark Goldblatt)
Never having warmed to Treat Williams before, he's a hoot in this playing the good cop in this genre twisting wee gem. Sank like a stone at the time, as people say they want something different, but no they don't really.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 15th May 2017, 10:26 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The Gunman (2015)

**1/2 out of *****

keirarts and trebor8273 like this.

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 15th May 2017, 10:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Watched a cool little anime called Sword of The Stranger, tonight, 8/10.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 15th May 2017, 10:46 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Other Woman (2014)

Mark (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) seemingly has everything. A good job, more than one house, a gorgeous wife (Leslie Mann), an equally gorgeous mistress (Cameron Diaz) although she doesn't know it and... the other woman (Kate Upton).

It's not long before his wife and mistress meet and begin scheming revenge on Mark and then the real fun begins when they discover his other girlfriend.

As far as modern comedy goes this really isn't bad. There are one or two smutty jokes but otherwise it doesn't resort to the typical sex gags and OTT swearing so many others do. This film from actor / director Nick Cassavetes relies on the appeal of it's three female stars. Mann, who needs to stop and breathe sometimes, Diaz, perfect as the power player and Upton, who is for want of a better word voluptuous. The three play off each other well and have good chemistry.

Whilst i wasn't roaring with laughter throughout, it's a film that gave me a few chuckles and engaged me constantly giving me that warm feel good feeling that the best comedies do and is a film i'm more than happy to add to my comedy collection
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TheOtherWoman_Quad_CampB_v4.jpg (91.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 15th May 2017, 10:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Other Woman (2014)

Mark (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) seemingly has everything. A good job, more than one house, a gorgeous wife (Leslie Mann), an equally gorgeous mistress (Cameron Diaz) although she doesn't know it and... the other woman (Kate Upton).

It's not long before his wife and mistress meet and begin scheming revenge on Mark and then the real fun begins when they discover his other girlfriend.

As far as modern comedy goes this really isn't bad. There are one or two smutty jokes but otherwise it doesn't resort to the typical sex gags and OTT swearing so many others do. This film from actor / director Nick Cassavetes relies on the appeal of it's three female stars. Mann, who needs to stop and breathe sometimes, Diaz, perfect as the power player and Upton, who is for want of a better word voluptuous. The three play off each other well and have good chemistry.

Whilst i wasn't roaring with laughter throughout, it's a film that gave me a few chuckles and engaged me constantly giving me that warm feel good feeling that the best comedies do and is a film i'm more than happy to add to my comedy collection

My idea of hell.
Whilst seeing the Lannister in a comedy might provide a chuckle or two, there's always Headhunters for that. Each to their own and all that....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 15th May 2017, 11:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Exposé aka Trauma aka house on straw hill.

I done a thread on this in what you have bought recently and would do a review on it well here goes.

This was listed as a video nasty it's a tale of a writer who suffers paranoia rents a house in England with a secretary.

This is a tale of paranoia with sexual fantasy and perverse and nudity mixed with revenge. What you see in the trailer is in the movie. 7-8 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hoshdvd.jpg (14.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg download.jpg (16.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 16th May 2017, 10:52 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Count Yorga, Vampire. Strange genre effort caught between the traditional gothic movies of Hammer and the more avant garde grue movies that became more popular in the early seventies. As such it falls between the two stalls and ends up being neither. The first 20 minutes are pretty dull, which is never good for a movie, but it picks up well and holds the interest until the end where it gets a bit more raunchy and gruesome. Protagonists die and the good Count gets his 'wives' to make out to relieve his boredom while he watches from his throne (sadly offscreen).

Decent enough but doesn't really know what kind of film it is trying to be. 6.5/10

Like this? Share it using the links below!