Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Horror Stars & Directors
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th January 2011, 02:25 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Some extremely interesting news at blu-ray.com about Blue Velvet!

During a recent radio interview, David Lynch revealed that the deleted scenes from his 1986 masterpiece Blue Velvet, which for a long time were thought to be lost forever, had recently been found "somewhere up in Seattle." Lynch said that "hopefully" some of those scenes will end up in an upcoming Blu-ray (although he also noted that some of them "aren't worth putting back together"). It will also feature a brand-new 5.1 mix supervised by Lynch and his sound engineer Dean Hurley.

As explained on the Blue Velvet special edition DVD released in 2002, the original cut of the film as assembled by Lynch had a running length of around four movies. However, his contract with producer Dino De Laurentiis obligated Lynch to deliver a two-hour movie so he had to perform extensive cuts, deleting whole scenes and subplots.

During the interview, Lynch said that he had been seeking out all that deleted material, "because some of these scenes on their own would be beautiful to see again." However, he found out that De Laurentiis's company had been sold to other companies and neither the producer (who passed away in November 2010) nor anybody else knew where the unused and deleted footage was. So it is a stroke of luck that such a treasure trove has been unearthed.

At the moment, Blue Velvet is still unannounced on Blu-ray in the US; it is coming out in France on February 16.
Old 24th January 2011, 05:37 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Great news! Saw this earlier, and was about to post it myself.

I think I'll hold out for a UK/US Blu rather than going for the French release, though.
Old 19th April 2011, 04:42 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Sorry to drag up an old thread but I've recently (ish) become a very big Lynch fan. I was hooked after Twin Peaks and have loved every other one of his films I've seen except maybe Eraserhead.

Anyway, I was wandering if any of you here have the Mystery Disc in the Lime Green Box? And also if any of you have seen Hotel Room or On The Air?
Old 21st April 2011, 09:41 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentofan View Post
Sorry to drag up an old thread but I've recently (ish) become a very big Lynch fan. I was hooked after Twin Peaks and have loved every other one of his films I've seen except maybe Eraserhead.

Anyway, I was wandering if any of you here have the Mystery Disc in the Lime Green Box? And also if any of you have seen Hotel Room or On The Air?
I haven't got or seen the Lime green set yet (far too expensive, DVD too!) but I saw Industrial symphony number 1, which is featured on that mystery disk (so I've heard) on a TV broadcast years ago. I remember thinking it was pretty good and of course as usual WEIRD. I would like to get that set purely for this and the hours worth of deleted scenes from Wild at Heart.

I never saw Hotel Room but I did used to have On the air on VHS. For something made around the same time and by the same team (Lynch / Frost) it was very different from Peaks. From what I remember it played like a parody of a 50's American sitcom, some funny scenes but I wasn't too enamoured by this, especially after the brilliance of Peaks but I would like to see it again, out of curiosity.

My fave Lynch's are Blue Velvet and Mulholland Drive, both tied in first place.
Old 21st April 2011, 09:47 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

I got a hold of the mystery disc, it has some shorts and wild at heart scenes on it. I haven't watched any of them yet though.
Industrial symphony no.1 is on a separate disc, so I'm gonna have to get the VHS of that, I've seen some of it on youtube and it was pretty good.

On the Air doesn't sound to bad I'll eventually get hold of the VHS's cause I can't see Lynch releasing them any time soon on DVD. Hotel Room on vhs though is really expensive though
Old 31st March 2012, 11:54 PM
Cult Rookie

my favorite director ^^ soo happy about his new blu ray releases!! my favorite is Eraserhead, followed by Mulholland drive... blue velvet and lost highway joint in 3rd! he is too good!
it'smebilly likes this.
Old 26th June 2012, 08:51 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Okay.Now that Lynch has been rolled out on BD and I've watched Lost Highway,would anyone care to explain what the **** was going on after the halfway mark?

I must say though,I think it was Total Film who said the first 40 minutes were a master class in terror,and they were spot on

Twin Peaks FWWM I gave up on....

I have had DUNE since the dawn of VHS,and then on DVD and will revisit it on BD.
Also purchased Blue Velvet today,which I'll sit through.....

Oh and I told the kids to get me Inland Empire for Father's Day....a glutton for punishment?

Thing is-curiosity is getting the better of me concerning Mullholland Drive.....

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 26th June 2012, 09:08 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Okay.Now that Lynch has been rolled out on BD and I've watched Lost Highway,would anyone care to explain what the **** was going on after the halfway mark?

I must say though,I think it was Total Film who said the first 40 minutes were a master class in terror,and they were spot on

Twin Peaks FWWM I gave up on....

I have had DUNE since the dawn of VHS,and then on DVD and will revisit it on BD.
Also purchased Blue Velvet today,which I'll sit through.....

Oh and I told the kids to get me Inland Empire for Father's Day....a glutton for punishment?

Thing is-curiosity is getting the better of me concerning Mullholland Drive.....
I adore Lynch's films, except maybe Dune and it's about time I reassessed that. Blue Velvet and Mulholland Drive are tied in first place for me. If you haven't seen Mulholland Drive you really need to.

Inland Empire is a difficult one, it's to be admired as experimental film making just like Eraserhead but I don't revisit IE very often I have to say.
Old 26th June 2012, 09:17 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Glad you're here Billy.You're just what I need!

Now please tell me WTF was going on in Lost Highway-was it all in his head?

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 26th June 2012, 09:25 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Glad you're here Billy.You're just what I need!

Now please tell me WTF was going on in Lost Highway-was it all in his head?
Honestly? I really couldn't tell you but I'm happy not to know and just to let the film wash over me, same with MD and most of the Lynch back catalogue and Donnie Darko too for that matter.

Though there are plenty of sites that try to decipher the film. Here is one such interpretation: Lost Highway: Explained

Linbro likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!