Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Horror Stars & Directors
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: what is your favourite QT film? written or directed?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
what is your favourite QT film? written or directed?

Like Tree227Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th January 2011, 11:30 AM
Cult Addict

Cheers for the heads up on the dvd! I'm going to see if I can order it now. It must be at least 25 years I've been wanting to see this again.
Old 12th January 2011, 07:04 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

so what are everyone's thoughts on the 2 Kill Bill films?

i recently rewatched both back to back and absolutely loved the first but found vol.2 to be a bit of a mess editing wise. The first should have been his entry into the Grindhouse experiment...
Old 12th January 2011, 07:43 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Love them both. I don't think it works that well if you watch them back-to-back since it never picks up the momentum gained from the House of Blue Leaves scene which is utterly spectacular. I still really like Volume 2 a lot though.

I don't for a minute believe Bill reads Superman comics though. That bit always came across as a bit crow-barred. He seems to miss the point somewhat and I'm not sure if that's intentional on Tarantino's behalf.
Old 12th January 2011, 09:08 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post

i recently rewatched both back to back and absolutely loved the first but found vol.2 to be a bit of a mess editing wise. The first should have been his entry into the Grindhouse experiment...
Hi, think it was me who referred to QT as a hack ...personally, I'm not fond of his films - feels like he takes everything I love and turns it to s**t.

Kill Bill is one of the worst offenders ~ I see his work as more of an insult than a homage.
Old 12th January 2011, 09:09 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:

Love the KILL BILL films,but as I said Vol 2 was summat of a disappointment,which was always gonna be the case,as the first was awesome!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 13th January 2011, 08:21 AM
Ex-member

I think that Tarentino is (to use a quote by Stephen Fry) an arse of the highest order.
Old 13th January 2011, 08:25 AM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MECHAGODPHILLA View Post
Hi, think it was me who referred to QT as a hack ...personally, I'm not fond of his films - feels like he takes everything I love and turns it to s**t.

Kill Bill is one of the worst offenders ~ I see his work as more of an insult than a homage.
I agree with you Mechagodphilla, that he just rips-off other films and that he is a non-original director.
Old 13th January 2011, 10:03 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
I did like the performances from both Darryl Hannah and Sonny Chiba.

Other than that, though, I thought they were awful films. Unfocussed hodge-podges of genre styles that episodically clash with each other, a trite and uninteresting story centred around Uma Thurman's most cardboard performance yet.

And the anime cartoon section in Part 1 actually made me angry. It was completely unnecessary and was only there because it could be. NONE of the other assassin characters had such a huge proportion of film time given over to their backstory, so why the Japanese one? It was cringe-inducing and I very nearly walked out of the cinema when it popped up. Awful, childish fanboy film-making that did nothing to serve the narrative and broke up the film stylishtically. Dreadful.

OK, so maybe it made people go back and check out Thriller and Lady Snowblood and so on and so on, but that makes it an advert, not a film.

Tarantino's hugest folly and a very bad film/a pair of very bad films. I'll stick with Jackie Brown and Reservoir Dogs!
Old 13th January 2011, 02:02 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
I did like the performances from both Darryl Hannah and Sonny Chiba.

Other than that, though, I thought they were awful films. Unfocussed hodge-podges of genre styles that episodically clash with each other, a trite and uninteresting story centred around Uma Thurman's most cardboard performance yet.

And the anime cartoon section in Part 1 actually made me angry. It was completely unnecessary and was only there because it could be. NONE of the other assassin characters had such a huge proportion of film time given over to their backstory, so why the Japanese one? It was cringe-inducing and I very nearly walked out of the cinema when it popped up. Awful, childish fanboy film-making that did nothing to serve the narrative and broke up the film stylishtically. Dreadful.

OK, so maybe it made people go back and check out Thriller and Lady Snowblood and so on and so on, but that makes it an advert, not a film.

Tarantino's hugest folly and a very bad film/a pair of very bad films. I'll stick with Jackie Brown and Reservoir Dogs!
Check out Inglorious, incredible film!!
Old 13th January 2011, 02:42 PM
Cult Addict

You have to admit that he does have an ear for dialogue. IMO it's the best thing about a QT movie.

Like this? Share it using the links below!