Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Music
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree27209Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th September 2011, 06:05 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

@Phurious, is the track with the drawing by Austin Osman Spare by Psychic TV?
Old 19th September 2011, 06:48 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Been listening to Elliott Smith's Either/Or album a lot this past week. Lovely stuff.
Old 19th September 2011, 07:07 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Yup We Kiss from Allegory And Self - I reckon it would be a credible love theme for a 70s Italian exploitation flick

Well spotted on the Spare pic, I only just clocked now that you said - sort of scritchier and scratchier Beardsley.
I saw a Spare exhibition last year in London - in fact it was featured on the Culture show and presented by Alan Moore

Midnight Video 26: The Great Silence, My Favourite Year and Brain Damage
Old 19th September 2011, 07:31 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Ah yeah... I was looking at that image and racking my brains about where I know it from. Of course it never dawned on me to listen to it. I've been listening to a lot of Psychic TV lately - last week it was the acid house stuff and at moment I'm listening to Brion Gysin's Dreamachine the collaboration PTV did with The Hafler Trio. Highly recommended if you like the noisier side of drone music...
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 19th September 2011, 09:53 PM
Cult Addict

@Phurious and Wes.

I'm not a fan of Psychic TV, yet somehow feel I should be, but love Austin Osman Spare's art work and his approach to magick for which he's most likely more known for these days via the Chaos Magick current of the 80/90s.

I used to have a dreamachine. I think I've still got the book and template on how to build one somewhere. Very trippy.
Wes and Demoncrat like this.
Old 20th September 2011, 07:25 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
@Phurious and Wes.

I'm not a fan of Psychic TV, yet somehow feel I should be, but love Austin Osman Spare's art work and his approach to magick for which he's most likely more known for these days via the Chaos Magick current of the 80/90s.
The life and work of AOS is fascinating, I might pick up Phil Baker's biography from AmazonUK - it's meant to be a very good read...

Quote:
I used to have a dreamachine. I think I've still got the book and template on how to build one somewhere. Very trippy.
I have those plans as well (they're easy to find online) but I never had the engineering savvy to build one...
Old 20th September 2011, 09:34 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

The bitch is in heat, so you better run...

Whitesnake - Sweet Talker

Greetings!
Old 20th September 2011, 11:11 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

here's a song (and a half) im very fond of.
Peter Hammill - A Louse is not a Home - YouTube
Wes likes this.
Old 20th September 2011, 07:43 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
The life and work of AOS is fascinating, I might pick up Phil Baker's biography from AmazonUK - it's meant to be a very good read...

I have those plans as well (they're easy to find online) but I never had the engineering savvy to build one...
I'm waiting for pay day to get the Spare book. I've got Baker's massive biography of Dennis Wheatley which is a good read.

My dreamachine was easy to make, I used cardboard, a record player and a dismantled lamp. Perhaps it was not the prettiest of things but it did the job.
Old 20th September 2011, 07:55 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Ah yeah... I was looking at that image and racking my brains about where I know it from. Of course it never dawned on me to listen to it. I've been listening to a lot of Psychic TV lately - last week it was the acid house stuff and at moment I'm listening to Brion Gysin's Dreamachine the collaboration PTV did with The Hafler Trio. Highly recommended if you like the noisier side of drone music...
I'm so-so with Psychic, I much prefer Coil and TG, but there's some great stuff in there. Not heard The Hafler Trio collaboration, but I loved THT's work with Autechre so will definitely check. Do you like NON/Boyd Rice? Well worth checking out too.

@ Make Them Die Slowly and Wes

I went to an exhibition on Euston Rd a few months ago and they had a dreamachine in a pitch black room.

The exhibition was about the history of drugs and their consumption - fascinating, and yep, I really liked the dreamachine.
Wes and Demoncrat like this.

Midnight Video 26: The Great Silence, My Favourite Year and Brain Damage

Like this? Share it using the links below!