Like Tree4346Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd September 2016, 05:12 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Latest Madonna album, deluxe edition.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3599 (Large).jpg (92.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 2nd September 2016, 07:55 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Latest Madonna album, deluxe edition.
I've listened to it through once. All 24 songs.

It's a mixed bag. The singles are rubbish as are the collaborations* the rest is rather tasty.

*Seriously! Why does Madonna have to feature the likes of Nicki Minaj? She's the groundbreaking act surely she doesn't need some here today gone tomorrow tart to get a bit of airplay.
Old 2nd September 2016, 08:04 PM
Cult Veteran

I used to be such a big Madonna fan but her constant collab's seem like desperate attempts to stay relevant, unlike say, when she wrote a song with Prince and they performed it together on Like A Prayer.

I feel like if she just did her own thing she'd be popular like she used to be, her fans are older now, if she just got on with that fact and maybe didn't try to get new younger fans who don't care who she is she'd be selling bucket loads of albums and concert tickets.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 2nd September 2016, 08:07 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I used to be such a big Madonna fan but her constant collab's seem like desperate attempts to stay relevant, unlike say, when she wrote a song with Prince and they performed it together on Like A Prayer.

I feel like if she just did her own thing she'd be popular like she used to be, her fans are older now, if she just got on with that fact and maybe didn't try to get new younger fans who don't care who she is she'd be selling bucket loads of albums and concert tickets.
Exactly. Ghost Town which might have been a single, i'm not sure, is excellent as are the four tracks exclusive to the deluxe edition on disc two.

Because there's so much music on this version it's easy to have a good hour of very good songs which is fine. I think on first listen i preferred MDNA though.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 2nd September 2016, 08:09 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I've listened to it through once. All 24 songs.

It's a mixed bag. The singles are rubbish as are the collaborations* the rest is rather tasty.

*Seriously! Why does Madonna have to feature the likes of Nicki Minaj? She's the groundbreaking act surely she doesn't need some here today gone tomorrow tart to get a bit of airplay.
I listened to it on Spotify and, like you, think it is not consistently good. However, I thought it benefited from the collaborations with Nicki Minaj (probably the most memorable song on the album), Chance the Rapper (also very good even though it was the first I'd heard of him) and Nas bringing a sense of variety and, if nothing else, showing Madonna is still relevant.
Old 2nd September 2016, 08:13 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I listened to it on Spotify and, like you, think it is not consistently good. However, I thought it benefited from the collaborations with Nicki Minaj (probably the most memorable song on the album), Chance the Rapper (also very good even though it was the first I'd heard of him) and Nas bringing a sense of variety and, if nothing else, showing Madonna is still relevant.
Did you listen to the whole album? The super deluxe edition as it's called?

Beautiful Scars, Borrowed Time, Addicted and Graffiti Heart are all a class above any of the collaborations... in my opinion.
Old 2nd September 2016, 08:14 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Exactly. Ghost Town which might have been a single, i'm not sure, is excellent as are the four tracks exclusive to the deluxe edition on disc two.

Because there's so much music on this version it's easy to have a good hour of very good songs which is fine. I think on first listen i preferred MDNA though.
I agree – there's nothing on Rebel Heart which really stands out, but oddly MDNA had some good collaborations with Nicki Minaj and MIA.

That said, I don't think any of her albums have been something I would pay top money for since Confessions on a Dance Floor over 10 years ago.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 2nd September 2016, 08:16 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Did you listen to the whole album? The super deluxe edition as it's called?

Beautiful Scars, Borrowed Time, Addicted and Graffiti Heart are all a class above any of the collaborations... in my opinion.
I've only listened to it once and found the collaborations stuck out, but whether that's a good sign or not is something that I'll only know after a few more listens.
Old 2nd September 2016, 09:44 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Ray of Light is easily her best album. Superb and still sounds great today.
MacBlayne likes this.
Old 2nd September 2016, 09:45 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I agree – there's nothing on Rebel Heart which really stands out, but oddly MDNA had some good collaborations with Nicki Minaj and MIA.

That said, I don't think any of her albums have been something I would pay top money for since Confessions on a Dance Floor over 10 years ago.
Is it so long since that album?

Like this? Share it using the links below!