Like Tree4346Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th April 2018, 04:11 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
blimey I thought they had split years ago,are they still on Earache records??
I don't know. The one i just bought was their last release... in 2002.

I was wrong saying the tour was for the anniversary of their first record. It's for the anniversary of 1998's www.Pitchshifter.co album.

Their first came out in 91. Blimey!

Edit - it's impossible to type the album title without it showing as some form of web address. You should have seen it when i correctly typed in com.
Old 28th April 2018, 08:08 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Two arrivals this week. World Party - Bang and Pitchshifter - Psi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I'm just listening to it now. It's pretty good. Never owned one of theirs before. I imagine they were / are a riot live.
Quote:
They were getting pushed as the next big thing in the late 90's early noughties,but they never really amounted to much really.The early stuff was more industrial while the later stuff was abit meh...but still better than most...B.E. is a fan I believe...
As The Inspector quite rightly states, I am a fan of Pitchshifter.

PSI is easily the worst of their albums, although definitely listenable.

They have had a turgid history, what with being dropped by their label at one point due to poor sales I believe and receiving a huge backlash from their fans due to radically changing their vocal style and sound between the more industrial Infotainment and the 'website address' album ()

e.g.

I enjoy their work from both periods, although "Desensitized" is probably my favourite album of theirs.

I caught them live a few times in Bristol when I lived in that area (plus they played Reading festival too at least once) back in the day. Good times.
Old 28th April 2018, 08:52 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
As The Inspector quite rightly states, I am a fan of Pitchshifter.

PSI is easily the worst of their albums, although definitely listenable.

They have had a turgid history, what with being dropped by their label at one point due to poor sales I believe and receiving a huge backlash from their fans due to radically changing their vocal style and sound between the more industrial Infotainment and the 'website address' album ()

e.g.

I enjoy their work from both periods, although "Desensitized" is probably my favourite album of theirs.

I caught them live a few times in Bristol when I lived in that area (plus they played Reading festival too at least once) back in the day. Good times.
We were probably at the same gigs in Bristol..

Old 28th April 2018, 09:13 PM
Cult Veteran

Default Latest Album Bought

Industrial and Desensitized are the best 2 Pitchshifter albums by far. The third album which I can’t remember he name of right now was also good but as good as the other 2. I lost touch with them after that though.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 28th April 2018, 09:16 PM
Cult Veteran

Infotainment? Was the third album, had to look it up haha

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 28th April 2018, 10:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Yes, I don't like it when they start "singing" either ....

Harmlessly once posted a "too commercial" review of a Bloodbath album ... if only because I could hear what he was saying ... that's nae Death Metal in my book . Some chap took real umbrage to this ... possibly because the threadstarter had acclaimed it as top review . Ahem.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 29th April 2018, 05:36 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
blimey I thought they had split years ago,are they still on Earache records??
It doesn't seem it, looking at this:

ASK EARACHE: Why did Earache sign Pitch Shifter?

"Question: Why did Earache sign PitchShifter back in the early 90's? They were highly influennced and sounded almost identical to Godflesh (in the early days), and you have been known to not sign bands in the past(Fear Factory etc) for sounding to much like other Earache artists.

Answer (excerpts): Good question- I actually dunno why I bothered with Pitch Shifter, what a collosal waste of space that band turned out to be. The short answer is because they were a local Nottingham band, we moved in similar circles, they were on our doorstep and I'd seen their buzz building up close. In truth, the main reason is because they pretty much blagged themselves onto on the label...

Pitch Shifter didn't play grindcore or Death Metal, their sound utilised the latest music technology of the day- drum machines, early samplers, but with heavy guitars & growly vocals. It resulted in a sound which was very cool and contemporary for the time...

Almost as soon as the ink was dry on the contracts, the problems started. Stuart Toolin was ousted from the group, and in hindsight, it was from this time onwards that ours and the bands ideas began to differ, as the label's main contact in the PSI camp had gone. Frontman Jon 'JS' Clayden became the band leader and its fair to say I've never seen eye-to-eye with him. Despite this, during the course of their two albums for Earache, the Pitch Shifter fanbase grew steadily, and the band experimented with their sound, so as to not follow in Godflesh's slipstream anymore...

However, the underhanded way Pitch shifter engineered their move showed absolutely zero respect for Earache. Even though I cancelled the contract to allow the band to move on, Jon Clayden made absolutely scandalous and unfounded remarks about Earache for years afterwards, presumably to justify their move to their core fanbase, and themselves. The bloke has breathtaking arrogance, and no class whatsoever."

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 29th April 2018, 06:42 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
It doesn't seem it, looking at this:

ASK EARACHE: Why did Earache sign Pitch Shifter?

"Question: Why did Earache sign PitchShifter back in the early 90's? They were highly influennced and sounded almost identical to Godflesh (in the early days), and you have been known to not sign bands in the past(Fear Factory etc) for sounding to much like other Earache artists.

Answer (excerpts): Good question- I actually dunno why I bothered with Pitch Shifter, what a collosal waste of space that band turned out to be. The short answer is because they were a local Nottingham band, we moved in similar circles, they were on our doorstep and I'd seen their buzz building up close. In truth, the main reason is because they pretty much blagged themselves onto on the label...

Pitch Shifter didn't play grindcore or Death Metal, their sound utilised the latest music technology of the day- drum machines, early samplers, but with heavy guitars & growly vocals. It resulted in a sound which was very cool and contemporary for the time...

Almost as soon as the ink was dry on the contracts, the problems started. Stuart Toolin was ousted from the group, and in hindsight, it was from this time onwards that ours and the bands ideas began to differ, as the label's main contact in the PSI camp had gone. Frontman Jon 'JS' Clayden became the band leader and its fair to say I've never seen eye-to-eye with him. Despite this, during the course of their two albums for Earache, the Pitch Shifter fanbase grew steadily, and the band experimented with their sound, so as to not follow in Godflesh's slipstream anymore...

However, the underhanded way Pitch shifter engineered their move showed absolutely zero respect for Earache. Even though I cancelled the contract to allow the band to move on, Jon Clayden made absolutely scandalous and unfounded remarks about Earache for years afterwards, presumably to justify their move to their core fanbase, and themselves. The bloke has breathtaking arrogance, and no class whatsoever."

Cheers Suz,explains much,I could not remember the band who i thought they were kind of like at the start,but ther it is Godflesh....

Old 29th April 2018, 12:43 PM
Cult Master

P_20180429_134016.jpg P_20180429_133913.jpg P_20180429_133824.jpg

White Vinyl always looks great.
Old 29th April 2018, 02:13 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

That Venom vinyl looks lovely.

Like this? Share it using the links below!