Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree16586Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th January 2016, 09:52 PM
Cult Acolyte

Sorry to derail the Fred thread but... all this talk of Man from Deep River, am I missing something? I thought it comes out in may? I know stuff sometimes ships early but... 4 months (isn't the doc included a search for Me Me lai? type item? have we seen it before then?)
keirarts likes this.
Old 28th January 2016, 10:04 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by platostotal View Post
Sorry to derail the Fred thread but... all this talk of Man from Deep River, am I missing something? I thought it comes out in may? I know stuff sometimes ships early but... 4 months (isn't the doc included a search for Me Me lai? type item? have we seen it before then?)
Hits the shelves second week in February doesn't it ?
Old 28th January 2016, 10:10 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
The documentary is Rediscovering Me Me Lai; I saw a rough cut of it earlier today, and found it enjoyable, interesting and informative. Work is ongoing in terms of editing and sound, but, along with the Q&A with Me Me Lai and Ruggero Deodato (I think from the Spaghetti Cinema conference, 2014), will make a really good package.
keirarts and platostotal like this.
Old 29th January 2016, 01:40 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenhooker View Post
Hits the shelves second week in February doesn't it ?

88 site say 16th may.
Old 29th January 2016, 01:49 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
The documentary is Rediscovering Me Me Lai; I saw a rough cut of it earlier today, and found it enjoyable, interesting and informative. Work is ongoing in terms of editing and sound, but, along with the Q&A with Me Me Lai and Ruggero Deodato (I think from the Spaghetti Cinema conference, 2014), will make a really good package.
Cheers Nos, apart from some really appalling animal scenes Lenzi's film has a nice 70s vibe to it so it's a nice leap up from the Hardgore dvd (though probably missing the same amount of footage) in terms of extra value.
keirarts likes this.
Old 29th January 2016, 08:01 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Cheers Nos, apart from some really appalling animal scenes Lenzi's film has a nice 70s vibe to it so it's a nice leap up from the Hardgore dvd (though probably missing the same amount of footage) in terms of extra value.
It's actually a very well made film in just about every technical aspect, with some beautiful photography. As you say, some of the animal violence is appalling, particularly the monkey scene (which Me Me Lai says is the worst she was ever involved in, and asked to be excused when it was shot) and almost impossible to justify.

As such, I hope the documentary and Q&A session, which, from memory, was very entertaining and informative – Ruggero always is! – makes the disc one which casual fans and 'committed' cannibal film enthusiasts will buy and enjoy.
keirarts likes this.
Old 29th January 2016, 08:06 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I actually found Man from Deep River to be extremely dull on initial viewing, however have come to appreciate it slightly more over the years. It's far from my favourite in the particular sub-genre though.
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 29th January 2016, 08:26 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I actually found Man from Deep River to be extremely dull on initial viewing, however have come to appreciate it slightly more over the years. It's far from my favourite in the particular sub-genre though.
Capital of the more interesting in the 'cannibal' subgenre because it doesn't involve a group of white Westerners travelling to the 'uncivilised' jungle to film and/or educate the natives. Instead, the protagonist is a man on the run who is captured by a tribe and gradually joins them. There is also a very small amount of cannibalism – it certainly isn't the focus of the film, unlike Cannibal Holocaust, Cannibal Ferox, Eaten Alive, Mountain of the Cannibal God etc.

It's been quite a long time since I last saw it, so I look forward to watching it again when the 88 Films Blu-ray arrives.
keirarts likes this.
Old 29th January 2016, 08:38 AM
Active Cultist

88 films say to me that burial ground will be 85 minute uncut version not that
cut like shriek show.
keirarts likes this.
Old 29th January 2016, 08:49 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by michal View Post
88 films say to me that burial ground will be 85 minute uncut version not that
cut like shriek show.
Good – thanks for letting us know.

Like this? Share it using the links below!