LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th March 2017, 09:10 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Boobies!
Old 31st March 2017, 12:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Yeah, Slumber Party Massacre would be great! Maniac would be great too!

I saw a DVD copy of maniac in a charity shop the other day, priced at £5, which was well above the other dvds. I just tho got to myself - Is it that hard to get a hold of?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
keirarts likes this.
Old 31st March 2017, 01:06 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckyFunster View Post
Maniac would be great too!
Is Maniac still cut by the BBFC?

I was really disappointed by the blu-ray Blue Underground released a few years back.

The color correction was horrible, and the black level was also wrong, with blacks that turned gray. It also looked like some DNR was used, since a 16mm movie like that should be grainy as hell.

I sold the Blu-Ray and bought the old THX Anchor Bay DVD instead, since it just looks better.

The ironi was that the trailer on the Blu-Ray looked amazing, more fine details, grain, correct colors and black level

I don't know how Bill Lustig could **** up the new transfer to his own movie.

So if another label picks this up, I hope they make a new 2K/4K transfer, or at least color correct the existing one.
keirarts and sjconstable like this.
Old 31st March 2017, 01:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default The 88 Films Thread

Maniac was last submitted to the BBFC in 2002 and was cut by 58 seconds. This being the Anchor Bay DVD I mentioned above as being for sale in my local charity shop.

"Cuts information

Cuts required to reduce length of sexualised strangulation sequence by half and to remove shots of a knife played over and stabbing into female flesh with sexual connotations. Cuts made in accordance with the Video Recordings Act 1984 and BBFC Guidelines and policy on sexualised violence"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
keirarts likes this.
Old 31st March 2017, 01:59 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel76 View Post
Is Maniac still cut by the BBFC?

I was really disappointed by the blu-ray Blue Underground released a few years back.

The color correction was horrible, and the black level was also wrong, with blacks that turned gray. It also looked like some DNR was used, since a 16mm movie like that should be grainy as hell.

I sold the Blu-Ray and bought the old THX Anchor Bay DVD instead, since it just looks better.

The ironi was that the trailer on the Blu-Ray looked amazing, more fine details, grain, correct colors and black level

I don't know how Bill Lustig could **** up the new transfer to his own movie.

So if another label picks this up, I hope they make a new 2K/4K transfer, or at least color correct the existing one.

Glad its not just me. I had a lot of people telling me I was unreasonable when I complained about the maniac blu-ray. The THX DVD looks beter.
Steel76 likes this.
Old 31st March 2017, 02:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I've been put off buying it because of what people have said on here, and yeah the THX DVD looks great
Steel76 and keirarts like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 31st March 2017, 03:30 PM
Cult Acolyte

i have Maniac on Blu but not watched it yet. it was a fairly early release for BU so i wonder if they were tempted to use some dnr to reduce what was likely to be a very grainy transfer in 2K resolution?

also i wonder if they scanned the 35mm blow up or went back to the original 16mm negative?
keirarts likes this.
Old 31st March 2017, 03:42 PM
Seasoned Cultist

They probably used the 35mm version.

The fine-details, what was left of them, is basically on the same level as the DVD transfer. So there was nothing to gain on that Blu-Ray.

Maybe the 16mm negative have been lost?

Kinda wish that Synapse would take on this project.
As May usually does a damn fine job, when it comes to color correcting transfers.
keirarts likes this.
Old 31st March 2017, 05:57 PM
Cult Acolyte

well Lustig is no slouch but agree May is a master at getting the most out film elements.

having said that i recently watched The Dorm That Dripped Blood also filmed on 16mm and it was a very grainy/grimy transfer. but probably the best that can be done with such a film. tbh it adds to the grindhouse value for me.
keirarts likes this.
Old 31st March 2017, 06:03 PM
Seasoned Cultist

A prime example of how great a 16mm transfer can look on Blu-Ray, is the original Evil Dead and Texas Chainsaw Massacre
keirarts, platostotal and Graeme73 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!