Like Tree16558Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th April 2019, 03:07 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
I’ve been told that they don’t make a profit at all selling them for £6. That’s a sale price to get people interested. 88 (or any other company who’s titles are in a sale for £6, get the whole £6, HMV will take a cut of that as well i’m afraid).
Is that how it works?

I thought HMV for example would purchase a series of titles from 88 and give them a flat rate for them - I don't know, say 500 copies of Swamp Thing - then HMV could do with them what they liked. Charge twenty notes, two for £25 whatever.
keirarts likes this.
Old 19th April 2019, 03:16 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Is that how it works?

I thought HMV for example would purchase a series of titles from 88 and give them a flat rate for them - I don't know, say 500 copies of Swamp Thing - then HMV could do with them what they liked. Charge twenty notes, two for £25 whatever.

I don’t think that’s how it works. They’ve also said that if they sell a title direct, they get all that money, whereas if the same title’s bought through HMV (and i’m assuming Amazon, etc), some of that is taken by those companies.
keirarts likes this.
Old 19th April 2019, 03:26 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I don’t think that’s how it works. They’ve also said that if they sell a title direct, they get all that money, whereas if the same title’s bought through HMV (and i’m assuming Amazon, etc), some of that is taken by those companies.
I don't suppose we'll ever know for sure exactly how it works.
Old 19th April 2019, 05:01 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Yeah and I'm happy to buy direct from them,but hey guys throw your loyal fanbase a bone now and again!

HMV ain't getting our titles? Kerching?

Happy to pay 14.99 or 12.99 for their titles,I've done it many times just don't try to squeeze us too hard with the free p&p over 30 quid shite.....

You think we came up the Clyde in a wheelbarrow?

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 19th April 2019, 05:32 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

To be fair,88 aren't the only ones 'coming the ****' in the current ecconomic shithole!!

HMV now have the latest PH titles at the bargain price of £22.99 each!

Hilarious,considering they're available 500 yards along the road in Fopp for £15 apiece!

This would explain why they've plenty of them!
keirarts likes this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 19th April 2019, 08:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Wow, £22 for a new title now?
Wonder if the premium titles will ever go 2 for 15 again then?

Back to 88, most of the stuff they put out now is barely worth a tenner, so i'll struggle to keep up with anything they put out if it's not in hmv, lol!
keirarts likes this.
Old 20th April 2019, 11:45 AM
Cultist

I wouldn't mind paying a tenner for a blu ray and buy them direct from each label to give them the support, but any more than that is really ripping this piss. Criterion and Eureka are the worst offenders. Absolute rogues.

With 88 Films I'm really only interested in their Kung Fu and Asian films these days, I've seen my share of slashers and giallos to last a life time.

Hope they continue with the 70s and 80s JC stuff and the Shaw Brothers films.

In terms of how much profit they make off of the sales. I know from working in games shops when I was younger, the stores just bought from a supplier and it was then up to them how much they charged for it. I would have thought that was the same for the likes of HMV and Fopp buying from independent labels. Once Fopp or whoever have bought their quantity from 88 then that's 88 Films got their money. Would like for someone from the likes of 88 to explain and justify why thinking free postage on offers over £30 or whatever constitutes an Easter sale.
Old 20th April 2019, 01:44 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I will be only be buying 88 films titles now if they have a sale on their site.
Not prepared to pay anything over a tenner for titles like Cannibal terror and Devil Hunter
Old 20th April 2019, 01:57 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Matrix View Post

In terms of how much profit they make off of the sales. I know from working in games shops when I was younger, the stores just bought from a supplier and it was then up to them how much they charged for it. I would have thought that was the same for the likes of HMV and Fopp buying from independent labels. Once Fopp or whoever have bought their quantity from 88 then that's 88 Films got their money. Would like for someone from the likes of 88 to explain and justify why thinking free postage on offers over £30 or whatever constitutes an Easter sale.
I thought this was how they worked ^.

The other scenario is probably 88 and a woe is me tale to compensate for no HMV deal.
Old 20th April 2019, 10:06 PM
Cult Acolyte

Also the rights to the titles have to be clawed back, especially if 88 have to borrow to obtain the rights, then the quality control and fixes if the transfer is a "pup", but as a disc in a case yeah I'd like to see a lower price point than the seemingly industry standard £14.99.
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!