Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree678Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th December 2023, 11:08 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Kim does the extras for the forthcoming Horrors of the Black Museum as well.

Along with Stephen Jones, who for me makes my favourite double act.
I didn't know, thanks fot the heads-up! But not even those two could make me buy that BR. I was very disappointed with that movie, when I watched it a few weeks ago. Maybe it was Michael Gough's performance that was too histrionic for my taste. Maybe it was the fact that I spotted the killer in the first few minutes. Maybe it's the story that doesn't even make much sense -- and I say this after trying to explain the plot of The Mole People to my wife yesterday afternoon! I will hear KN's commentary, though, should it appear in... other places...
Old 8th December 2023, 11:09 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuno_Miranda View Post
I didn't know, thanks fot the heads-up! But not even those two could make me buy that BR. I was very disappointed with that movie, when I watched it a few weeks ago. Maybe it was Michael Gough's performance that was too histrionic for my taste. Maybe it was the fact that I spotted the killer in the first few minutes. Maybe it's the story that doesn't even make much sense -- and I say this after trying to explain the plot of The Mole People to my wife yesterday afternoon! I will hear KN's commentary, though, should it appear in... other places...
It's not the greatest is it. Gough hams it up constantly.
Nuno_Miranda likes this.
Old 8th December 2023, 02:50 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Along with Stephen Jones, who for me makes my favourite double act.

I'm with you here: Kim Newman with Stephen Jones are the best double act around. I just heard them on Slaughter's Sexton Blake and the Hooded Terror and it was great.

It was also my first Slaughter, and I must say I'm a fan. Well it would be awkward if I hated him, as I now have the boxed set so... crisis averted.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 8th December 2023, 03:24 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I'm with you here: Kim Newman with Stephen Jones are the best double act around. I just heard them on Slaughter's Sexton Blake and the Hooded Terror and it was great.
Did you get the Network release of Dark Eyes of London?

That had an excellent commentary from the pair and also a half hour chat in a London pub.
Old 8th December 2023, 03:32 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Did you get the Network release of Dark Eyes of London?

That had an excellent commentary from the pair and also a half hour chat in a London pub.
I didn't, because I have most of Lugosi's films over various DVD collections and he's not usually on my radar. But for the commentary it's now on my Amazon basket, thanks. And the pair chatting in a pub! Also, there's an Edgar Wallace pub?! Great place to drag my wife kicking and screaming to, next time we're in London...
Old 23rd January 2024, 10:24 AM
Cultist

Just received my copy of Devil Girl from Mars and was so excited to watch it again restored and then the Kim Newman/Forshaw commentary, but... film audio is completely out of sync! I thought it was a problem with my setup, but turns out it 100% isn't. Did anyone else buy this BR and have the same problem?
Old 23rd January 2024, 10:45 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Just received my copy of Devil Girl from Mars and was so excited to watch it again restored and then the Kim Newman/Forshaw commentary, but... film audio is completely out of sync! I thought it was a problem with my setup, but turns out it 100% isn't. Did anyone else buy this BR and have the same problem?
It seems like it is a common problem. There are a number of reviews on Amazon (from January 2024) that mention it:

"...However - Be aware that the soundtrack is either slightly out of sync or badly dubbed. My wife said it didn't bother her, and, whilst I was aware of it, don't let it put you off, as it really isn't that bad. I just thought it worth mentioning"

"... I looked forward to this studio canal cult blu ray uk 2024 release , However the timing is out of synch , how did this pass quality control ???, so disappointing as the Network dvd release has the dialogue in synch , however this is out of synch, i expect they will not bother to correct this such a let down"

"...Unfortunately the audio on the blu ray is out of sync on the first release/pressing of this disc, picture transfer looks great though, hopefully Studio Canal will issue a replacement disc program to rectify the issue"

"... Please note - the audio is out of sync on this Blu Ray release for the entire runtime of the film. Its immediately noticeable and unfortunately, deems the film unwatchable."
Nuno_Miranda likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 23rd January 2024, 10:48 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
It seems like it is a common problem. There are a number of reviews on Amazon (from January 2024) that mention it:

"...However - Be aware that the soundtrack is either slightly out of sync or badly dubbed. My wife said it didn't bother her, and, whilst I was aware of it, don't let it put you off, as it really isn't that bad. I just thought it worth mentioning"

"... I looked forward to this studio canal cult blu ray uk 2024 release , However the timing is out of synch , how did this pass quality control ???, so disappointing as the Network dvd release has the dialogue in synch , however this is out of synch, i expect they will not bother to correct this such a let down"

"...Unfortunately the audio on the blu ray is out of sync on the first release/pressing of this disc, picture transfer looks great though, hopefully Studio Canal will issue a replacement disc program to rectify the issue"

"... Please note - the audio is out of sync on this Blu Ray release for the entire runtime of the film. Its immediately noticeable and unfortunately, deems the film unwatchable."
Yes... Just read them. Unfortunately they're a little too late lol
That's one of the problems of pre-ordering things...

Now I'm not sure I should just return the disc to Amazon or wait to see if Studio Canal will create a disc repalcement program. From what I read, that's very unlikely. This had never happened to me before. Lucky, I guess!
Old 23rd January 2024, 11:53 AM
Cult Acolyte

I saw the reviews for Devil Girl ahead of ordering so avoided the disappointment of playing it.

To be honest, I was also put off by the fact it's in the incorrect 1.33 aspect ratio. This film is supposed to be matted to widescreen.

Total ball-drop by SC...
Nuno_Miranda likes this.
Old 29th January 2024, 05:44 PM
Cult Acolyte

Peeping Tom arrived today

...but with a very damaged slipcase, so its going straight back

Like this? Share it using the links below!