All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree3666Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th January 2024, 02:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Just got an email telling me they are having a flash Jean Rollin sale two titles up for sale and the website is down for maintenance

It’ll be back up at 4pm I reckon, they mentioned limited restocks of some out of print titles at 4pm.
Nordicdusk likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 29th January 2024, 02:35 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
It’ll be back up at 4pm I reckon, they mentioned limited restocks of some out of print titles at 4pm.
Thanks Justin
Old 29th January 2024, 02:45 PM
Cult Acolyte

These ones will be deleted completely by 31/01/24 midnight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2024-01-29_15-43-13.jpg (81.2 KB, 14 views)
Old 29th January 2024, 03:13 PM
Active Cultist

Default Powerhouse Films

I wonder if the availability of the Final Cut BD of 'Nightmare' is delaying the standard edition from Indicator? The other 3 titles from 'Hammer vol. 6' are up for SE preorder but no sign of this title yet.

Last edited by Dave; 29th January 2024 at 03:26 PM.
Old 29th January 2024, 04:08 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
These ones will be deleted completely by 31/01/24 midnight.
The Legacy is a great slice of strange British horror and shouldn't be missed.

Time Without Pity is also a very good British thriller which i have and highly recommend.
g053584398 and Rob4 like this.
Old 29th January 2024, 04:23 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I wonder if the availability of the Final Cut BD of 'Nightmare' is delaying the standard edition from Indicator? The other 3 titles from 'Hammer vol. 6' are up for SE preorder but no sign of this title yet.

Nightmare isn’t getting a standard edition. I forget why, but they confirmed it a few weeks ago.
Dave and Nuno_Miranda like this.
Old 29th January 2024, 04:52 PM
Cult Acolyte

So glad I got Nightmare in the box set.

It's good that some people will get the Rollins at a discount, but I wonder if this early sale is because it's proving difficult to get the wider film audience interested in the Rollins. Maybe they are reluctant to dip their toe in the water at full price for what for many may be quite niche?

I have to say the sheer number of Indicator hard-box editions in the last few months must have some punters scratching their heads on what to prioritise?

Not me, it's Rollin all the way. Well, at least until the next Mexico Macabre arrives

PS Just finished watching the Tod Slaughter boxset and all the extras. It's all great but I'd like to single out Stephen Thrower's video essay for special praise. This was the release of 2023 for me
Old 29th January 2024, 05:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Legacy is a great slice of strange British horror and shouldn't be missed.
I agree, one I wasn't keen on at first but certainly warmed up to it and definitely one to watch in the dark to soak up the atmosphere of the plot.
Old 15th February 2024, 09:30 AM
Cult Master

'Columbia Noir #6: The Whistler' - Pre-order available at PowerHouse Films direct - £54:99

Release date: May 20

Films included:
  • THE WHISTLER (William Castle, 1944)
  • THE MARK OF THE WHISTLER (William Castle, 1944)
  • THE POWER OF THE WHISTLER (Lew Landers, 1945)
  • VOICE OF THE WHISTLER (William Castle, 1945)
  • MYSTERIOUS INTRUDER (William Castle, 1946)
  • THE SECRET OF THE WHISTLER (George Sherman, 1946)
  • THE THIRTEENTH HOUR (William Clemens, 1947)
  • THE RETURN OF THE WHISTLER (D Ross Lederman, 1948)

"Our sixth journey into Columbia Pictures’ film noir output walks a different path, taking a detour into the mysterious world of the Whistler, as we present all eight films in the popular series.

Adapted from a hit radio series, each episode has the Whistler emerge from the shadows to introduce a nightmarish, twisting tale in his own sardonic manner, with the first seven films starring Richard Dix (It Happened in Hollywood). In The Whistler, a guilt-stricken man hires a contract killer to end his life… but finds he cannot pull out of the deal. The Mark of the Whistler sees a homeless man claim the money in an abandoned bank account, only to find the rightful owners on his tail. In The Power of the Whistler, an amnesiac must reconstruct his dark past using only the items in his pockets. Voice of the Whistler finds a poor nurse marry her wealthy, terminally ill patient, only for him to defy the odds and recover. In Mysterious Intruder, a private eye becomes embroiled in a murderous race to track down a missing girl and a lost fortune. The Secret of the Whistler sees a young bride suspect that her new husband may have murdered his first wife. In Dix’s final film, The Thirteenth Hour, the owner of a trucking company is framed for a murder he didn’t commit. Finally, in The Return of the Whistler, Michael Duane takes the lead as a man whose fiancée is abducted on the eve of their wedding.

This essential four-disc collection marks the UK Blu-ray premiere of all eight films, and features an array of fascinating contextualising extras, including newly recorded commentaries, critical appreciations, rare archival short films, and a 120-page book. Strictly limited to 6,000 individually numbered units."

Special Features
  • High Definition presentations of The Whistler, The Power of the Whistler, Voice of the Whistler, Mysterious Intruder, The Secret of the Whistler, The Thirteenth Hour, and The Return of the Whistler
  • Standard Definition presentation of The Mark of the Whistler
  • Original mono audio
  • Audio commentary with film historian Josh Nelson on The Whistler (2024)
  • Audio commentary with professor and film scholar Jason A Ney on The Power of the Whistler (2024)
  • Audio commentary with film historian Lee Gambin on Voice of the Whistler (2024)
  • Audio commentary with film historian Jeremy Arnold on Mysterious Intruder (2024)
  • Audio commentary with academic and curator Eloise Ross on The Thirteenth Hour (2024)
  • Kim Newman on ‘The Whistler’ (2024): in-depth exploration of the film series by the critic and author
  • Kim Newman on William Castle (2024): overview of the cult filmmaker’s early career as a studio-contracted director, prior to his successes as an independent showman best known for his macabre genre movies
  • Stuart Holmes Oral History (1958): rare archival audio recording of the prolific character actor in conversation with historian George Pratt
  • It’s Murder (1944): dramatised documentary, produced by Columbia Pictures for the war effort and featuring a number of cast and crew members from The Whistler film series
  • It’s Your America (c. 1945): dramatised documentary focusing on soldiers returning from World War II, directed by John Ford and featuring J Carroll Naish, the antagonist in The Whistler
  • Image galleries: promotional and publicity materials
  • New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Limited edition exclusive 120-page book with a new essay by Tim Lucas, archival interviews with actor Richard Dix, an extract from director William Castle’s autobiography, an archival article on the popularity of the radio show, new writing on the short films, and film credits
  • World premieres on Blu-ray
  • Limited edition box set of 6,000 individually numbered units for the UK
Extras subject to change

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 15th February 2024, 09:40 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
'Columbia Noir #6: The Whistler' - Pre-order available at PowerHouse Films direct - £54:99
This sounds great and I'm getting it!

But I'm really curious about why the radio shows are not included, it's an odd absence. I collect Old Time Radio and heard a few of The Whistler, they were wonderful.

If anyone wants to listen, maybe as preparation for the box set release: https://www.oldradioworld.com/shows/Whistler.php

Like this? Share it using the links below!