Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree3666Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th February 2024, 10:53 AM
Cult Master

NEWS:

THIRTEEN NEW UK STANDARD EDITIONS

"Further to the recent selling out of a number of Limited Editions, thirteen Standard Editions will be released on 20 May in the UK: the four films from the MEXICO MACABRE box set – BLACK PIT OF DR. M, THE WITCH’S MIRROR, THE BRAINIAC, and THE CURSE OF THE CRYING WOMAN; the four films from the WILLIAM CASTLE AT COLUMBIA, VOLUME TWO box set – ZOTZ!, 13 FRIGHTENED GIRLS, THE OLD DARK HOUSE, and STRAIT-JACKET; as well as the following individual titles: BRITANNIA HOSPITAL, HOFFMAN, INVINCIBLE, SECRET FRIENDS, and A SOLDIER’S STORY."

RELEASE DATE CHANGES

"The release dates for our 4K UHD and Blu-ray editions of PATRICK and SNAPSHOT have had to be moved to 25 March in the UK and 26 March in the US. We apologise for this delay, but assure you that it will be worth the wait. Please note that orders from our website will be fulfilled as soon as stock becomes available, which we hope will be in advance of this new date."

3 FOR £20 – NEW TITLES

"Four Standard Editions have been added to the 3 for £20 offer: BELLMAN & TRUE, CRIMEWAVE, GRAY LADY DOWN and JAGGED EDGE."

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 15th February 2024, 10:39 PM
Cult Acolyte

So Indicator teased George Romero's Bruiser. I've not seen it - any opinions on this one?
Old 15th February 2024, 10:43 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
So Indicator teased George Romero's Bruiser. I've not seen it - any opinions on this one?
I really like it. It's not that long since i saw it for the first time, a few years, and really enjoyed it.

I do seem to be in a minority though. Basically because it's not a zombie film.
Rob4 likes this.
Old 8th March 2024, 07:06 AM
Cultist

Quote:
So glad I got Nightmare in the box set.

It's good that some people will get the Rollins at a discount, but I wonder if this early sale is because it's proving difficult to get the wider film audience interested in the Rollins. Maybe they are reluctant to dip their toe in the water at full price for what for many may be quite niche?

I have to say the sheer number of Indicator hard-box editions in the last few months must have some punters scratching their heads on what to prioritise?

Not me, it's Rollin all the way. Well, at least until the next Mexico Macabre arrives

PS Just finished watching the Tod Slaughter boxset and all the extras. It's all great but I'd like to single out Stephen Thrower's video essay for special praise. This was the release of 2023 for me
I have Arrow's Conan and Tod Slaughter sets as the releases of 2023 for me.

The Conans, as films, wwere a known quantity, dazzling more by force of sheer transfer quality and abundance of supplements (for a childhood Conan fan, this is pure gold) than for the films themselves.

The Slaughter box was the sheer pleasure of discovery. I knew absolutely zero about him. I mean, I was somewhat familiar with his name but had never watched any of his films (and therefore had not been subjected to sub-par transfers, as most fans). I watched them disc by disc, in sequence, with extras and supplements, so that when I watched the later films, it was with much different eyes. I absolutely loved it, and it is for me THE release of the decade (the whole 2010s + this bit of 2020s).

Re. boxed sets, I just finished reading Silver Nitrate by Silvia Moreno-Garcia, and now have this intense curiosity about Mexican horror/sci-fi films and am quite sad that I missed on the Mexico Macabre boxed set. I had other priorities when it came out, unfortunately and now it's only available in the secondary market at absurd prices.
Susan Foreman and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 8th March 2024, 07:55 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuno_Miranda View Post

Re. boxed sets, I just finished reading Silver Nitrate by Silvia Moreno-Garcia, and now have this intense curiosity about Mexican horror/sci-fi films and am quite sad that I missed on the Mexico Macabre boxed set. I had other priorities when it came out, unfortunately and now it's only available in the secondary market at absurd prices.
You should pick them up individually. You are clearly a fan of classic old school horror so they will be right up your street, Nuno

Standard editions are available so you'll only miss out on the book and the box.
Nuno_Miranda likes this.
Old 8th March 2024, 05:20 PM
Cultist

Quote:
You should pick them up individually. You are clearly a fan of classic old school horror so they will be right up your street, Nuno

Standard editions are available so you'll only miss out on the book and the box.
I didn't realise they were out, that's what I'll try to do, although I'm 99.9% sure I'll love them and then I'll want volume 2 and then there's no box for vol. 1... OCD is a b**ch

I am indeed an old school horror fan -- I'm having such fun now with the Karloff at Columbia set now!
Old 8th March 2024, 05:24 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuno_Miranda View Post

I am indeed an old school horror fan -- I'm having such fun now with the Karloff at Columbia set now!
I'm currently watching that. Seen them all before except The Devil Commands, however i'm enjoying them all over again and with the commentaries too.
Rob4 and Nuno_Miranda like this.
Old 14th March 2024, 09:54 AM
Cult Master

'The Whole Truth' (1958) - Pre-order available at PowerHouse Films direct - ?16:99

Release date: June 17

"Limited Edition Blu-ray (World premiere)

Stewart Granger (Footsteps in the Fog), Donna Reed (Scandal Sheet), George Sanders (Endless Night), and Italian sex symbol Gianna Maria Canale (I vampiri) star in The Whole Truth, a wry suspense thriller set on the French Riviera.

When film producer Max (Granger) begins an affair with Gina (Canale), the star of his latest production, it isn't long before she threatens to tell his wife, Carol (Reed), what is going on. However, the price of Gina?s silence changes for Max when she is found murdered, and he must convince Inspector Carliss of the Yard (Sanders) of his innocence...

Directed by John Guillermin (Town on Trial), photographed by Wilkie Cooper (The 7th Voyage of Sinbad), and co-written by Philip Mackie (The Naked Civil Servant), The Whole Truth is a stylishly shot and tautly plotted murder mystery."

Special Features
  • High Definition remaster
  • Original mono audio
  • Audio commentary with film historians Kevin Lyons and Jonathan Rigby (2024)
  • Robert Shail on ?The Whole Truth? (2024): the film historian discusses the film and British production company Romulus Films
  • The BEHP Interview with Ronald Spencer (1991): archival audio recording, made as part of the British Entertainment History Project, featuring the assistant director in conversation with Joyce Robinson
  • Original theatrical trailer
  • Image gallery: promotional and publicity materials
  • New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Barry Forshaw, archival interviews with George Sanders and Gianna Maria Canale, archival article on Canale and Donna Reed, extracts from the films campaign book, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and film credits
  • World premiere on Blu-ray
  • Limited edition of 3,000 copies for the UK

Extras subject to change

Nuno_Miranda likes this.

Old 14th March 2024, 09:58 AM
Cult Master

'Obsession' (1949) - Pre-order available at PowerHouse Films direct - ?16:99

Starring Robert Newton (Kiss the Blood Off My Hands), Phil Brown (The Camp on Blood Island), Sally Gray (They Made Me a Fugitive), and Naunton Wayne (The Lady Vanishes), Obsession takes a dark and unsettling journey into the mind of a murderer.

When psychiatrist Clive (Newton) learns that his wife, Storm (Gray), is having an affair, he resolves to take revenge by kidnapping and murdering her lover, Bill (Brown), and dissolving his corpse in acid. As Bill languishes in Clive?s cellar, Detective Finsbury (Naunton) doggedly pursues the case...

Written by Alec Coppel (Vertigo), scored by Nino Rota (8?, The Godfather), and directed by Edward Dmytryk (The Sniper) during his blacklist-induced exile in Britain, Obsession?s original release was delayed due to the ongoing court case of real-life ?Acid Bath Murderer? John Haigh."

Special Features
  • New 4K restoration by Powerhouse Films
  • Original mono audio
  • Audio commentary with film historians Thirza Wakefield and Melanie Williams (2024)
  • The John Player Lecture with Edward Dmytryk (1972): archival audio recording of the prolific director in conversation with author and critic John Baxter, recorded at London?s National Film Theatre
  • Richard Dyer on ?Obsession? (2024): the academic and author explores the themes and the making of the film
  • The BEHP Interview with Gordon McCallum (1988): archival audio recording, made as part of the British Entertainment History Project, featuring sound recordist McCallum in conversation with Alan Lawson
  • Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Fintan McDonagh, archival articles on Edward Dmytryk?s period in Britain and the making of Obsession, an archival interview with actor Naunton Wayne, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and full film credits
  • Limited edition of 4,000 copies for the UK and the US

Extras subject to change

Old 14th March 2024, 10:00 AM
Cult Master

'The Shop At Sly Corner' (1947) - Pre-order available at PowerHouse Films direct - ?16:99

Oscar Homolka (Mr. Sardonicus), Derek Farr (Town on Trial), Muriel Pavlow (Doctor in the House), and Kenneth Griffith (Love on the Dole) star in the British crime classic The Shop at Sly Corner.

Descius Heiss (Homolka), a London antiques dealer, lives a comfortable life fencing smuggled diamonds in order to pay for his beloved daughter Margaret?s (Pavlow) tuition. However, when his young assistant (Griffith) learns of the arrangement, he begins to blackmail Heiss, unwittingly sparking a chain of events that leads to murder...

Also known as Code of Scotland Yard, The Shop at Sly Corner is deftly directed by George King (Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street), the man who helped launch Tod Slaughter?s film career, and also marked the film debut of Diana Dors."

Special Features
  • New restoration from a 4K scan by Powerhouse Films
  • Original mono audio
  • Audio commentary with film historian Josephine Botting and critic Phuong Le (2024)
  • Jonathan Rigby on Oscar Homolka (2024): the film historian delves into the life and career of the prolific Austrian actor
  • Muriel Pavlow in Conversation (2009): filmed interview in which the British actor discusses her career with Josephine Botting at London?s National Film Theatre
  • Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Steve Chibnall, archival interviews and articles, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and film credits
  • Limited edition of 4,000 copies for the UK and the US

Extras subject to change

Like this? Share it using the links below!