Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1457Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st August 2013, 12:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I haven't seen them yet, had to cancel my pre-orders due to being skint, but I'll definitely be picking them both up soon
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 31st August 2013, 07:09 PM
Cult Addict

I heard Brides of Dracula was in the wrong ratio

No idea how true that is though?!
Old 31st August 2013, 08:09 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
I heard Brides of Dracula was in the wrong ratio

No idea how true that is though?!
I can't comment on the correct ratio because I don't know what the correct ratio is but I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the transfer on brides.

I was a little worried as I hadn't heard of final cut before. The evil of Frankenstein is on my to watch pile.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
keirarts likes this.
Old 1st September 2013, 07:03 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by it'smebilly View Post
I can't comment on the correct ratio because I don't know what the correct ratio is but I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the transfer on brides.

I was a little worried as I hadn't heard of final cut before. The evil of Frankenstein is on my to watch pile.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
Someone mentioned it being 2:1 and supposed to be in 1:66:1 but then it is forum talk so unless I hear more its all speculation..
Old 1st September 2013, 07:59 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Default The Hammer Thread

Quote:
Someone mentioned it being 2:1 and supposed to be in 1:66:1 but then it is forum talk so unless I hear more its all speculation..
AV Forum review says it's definitely 2:1

http://www.avforums.com/movies/The-B...9/blu-ray.html
keirarts likes this.
Old 1st September 2013, 10:51 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I watched Brides last night and can I say from the off that I have no knowledge as to the original theatrical look of this film. So here are my opinions, firstly Chroma looks like it has been boosted for the most part and fluctuates in intensity from scene to scene a prime example being Van Helsing's Tweed jacket when he is talking to the village priest regarding the death of the girl, it a appears a reddish brown instead of grey. Also some heavy handed contrast boosting seems to have been applied with whites almost glowing in some scenes. Grain I feel is heavy but never really distracting and I am happy that it is still in place instead of what might have been.
The aspect ratio is obviously incorrect a good example being when Van Helsing reveals the bite on one of victims neck you can just make out one puncture wound the other drops out of shot.
As I say though I have no prior knowledge as to the look of this film but I would love to know where the print was sourced from, who did the clean up and transfer and the reasons for taking the decisions they did.
It is still very watchable despite of it's faults and will suffice until maybe one day we get a much better release
Old 1st September 2013, 12:01 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Apparently the print/neg of the film in the correct ratio was destroyed in the fire that broke out in the Universal vaults some years back. So I've no idea where this transfer was sourced from. For now, the old DVDs are the only transfers in the correct ratio.

Last edited by Daemonia; 1st September 2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old 1st September 2013, 12:58 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Ah well, so it's the wrong ratio then? I'll save my money and not buy it.
Old 1st September 2013, 07:31 PM
Cult Acolyte

The region 1 dvd in the Hammer Horror set looks excellent up-scaled and that's good enough for me.
Old 8th September 2013, 02:00 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Think I'll stick with my DVD copy! I'm not a purist but having just compared a scene from my copy to what I've read on that same scene...The baron bits Van Helsing and as he pulls away you see both fang marks! From what I just read one of those marks is no longer visible! Thats a lot of the bottom picture cut off!

Like this? Share it using the links below!