Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26050Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th February 2018, 03:17 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMIOUSE View Post
So these are the Arrow Academy reveals and not the Arrow Video ones?
That's right

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 9th February 2018, 02:07 PM
Cult Master

Arrow Academy

"NEW UK TITLE: Irma Vep (Blu-ray)

A mid-nineties’ amalgam of François Truffaut’s Day for Night and Rainer Werner Fassbinder’s Beware of a Holy Whore.

Release date: 7 May

Ten years after he made his feature debut with Disorder in 1986, Olivier Assayas decided it was time to turn his attentions to the French film industry for his sixth picture. Written in ten days, and shot in less than a month, Irma Vep provides a mid-nineties’ amalgam of François Truffaut’s Day for Night and Rainer Werner Fassbinder’s Beware of a Holy Whore.

French filmmaker René Vidal (Day for Night’s Jean-Pierre Léaud) is commissioned by a TV company to direct a remake of Louis Feuillade’s classic silent-era serial, Les Vampires. Maggie Cheung (playing a version of herself) is cast in the central role and heads to Paris for filming – where she finds herself amid the chaos of artistic differences, petty rivalries and the immense egos which make up a film set.

Irma Vep is Assayas at his lightest and most playful – simultaneously a gently satirical dig at the state of French cinema and a love letter to his female star.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
• 2K restoration from the original negative, supervised and approved by Olivier Assayas
• High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentation
• Original 2.0 Stereo DTS-HD Master Audio
• Optional English subtitles
• Audio commentary by writer-director Olivier Assayas and critic Jean-Michel Frodon
• On the Set of Irma Vep, a 30-minute behind-the-scenes featurette with optional commentary by Assayas and Frodon
• Interview with Assayas and critic Charles Tesson
• Interview with actors Maggie Cheung and Nathalie Richard
• Man Yuk: A Portrait of Maggie Cheung, a 1997 short film by Assayas
• Black and white rushes
• Theatrical Trailer
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Peter Strain

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by critic Neil Young"

Justin101 and keirarts like this.

Old 9th February 2018, 02:10 PM
Cult Master

Arrow Academy

"UK/US TITLE: Smash Palace (Blu-ray)

A brilliant, vivid messy portrait of masculinity in crisis

Release dates: 28/29 May

Premiering at the 1981 Cannes Film Festival, Smash Palace was the second feature of Roger Donaldson following the success of Sleeping Dogs, a film which had heralded the arrival of the New Zealand New Wave.

Smash Palace concerns itself with the marriage of former racing driver Al (Bruno Lawrence, The Quiet Earth) and French-born Jacqui (Anna Jemison, Nomads). The pair had met when she nursed him back to health following a career-ending injury. They married, returned to Al’s native New Zealand to take over his late father’s wrecking yard business – the Smash Palace of the title – and had a child. But over time stagnation has set in, Jacqui’s resentment of Al has grown, and things are threatening to spill over…

Playing out as a darker, more haunting New Zealand variation on such US separation movies as Kramer vs. Kramer or Shoot the Moon, Smash Palace offers a brilliant, vivid messy portrait of masculinity in crisis, driven by Lawrence’s immense central performance – once again confirming his status as one of New Zealand’s finest actors.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
• High Definition (Blu-ray) presentation
• Original mono audio (uncompressed LPCM)
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Commentary by writer-director Roger Donaldson and stunt driver Steve Millen
• The Making of Smash Palace, a 51-minute documentary on the film’s production featuring interviews with Donaldson, actor Keith Aberdein, filmmaker Geoff Murphy and others
• Theatrical trailer
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Sean Phillips

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Ian Barr, a contemporary review by Pauline Kael and the original press book"

keirarts likes this.

Old 9th February 2018, 02:14 PM
Cult Master

Arrow Academy

"UK/US TITLE: Black Venus (Blu-ray)

A stark portrait of the life of Saartjie Baartman, also known as the ‘Hottentot Venus’.

Release dates: 21/22 May

Between Couscous, winner of three César Awards, and the Cannes triumph of Blue Is the Warmest Colour, Abdellatif Kechiche made Black Venus, a stark portrait of the life of Saartjie Baartman, also known as the ‘Hottentot Venus’.

Baartman was taken from South African home as a 21-year-old and shipped to Georgian London, where she would be caged and exhibited as a freak show. Presented semi-nude, her physique – especially her large buttocks – was the source of much curiosity. But as her ‘fame’ spread, so too did her exploitation…

Centred on a remarkable performance by Cuban actor Yahima Torres as Baartman, Black Venus provides a bleak but barbed exploration of sex, science, race, colonialism and social attitudes.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
• Optional 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio and 2.0 DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks
• Optional English subtitles
• Brand-new appreciation of Black Venus and the cinema of Abdellatif Kechiche by critic Neil Young
• Theatrical trailer
• Reversible sleeve featuring and original newly commissioned artwork by Peter Strain

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Will Higbee, author of Post-Beur Cinema: North African Émigré and Maghrebi-French Filmmaking in France Since 2000"

keirarts likes this.

Old 9th February 2018, 02:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

They should change the name of the range from Arrow Academy to Films Riks Never Heard Of
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 9th February 2018, 02:45 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

You've got to admire the Academy branch for putting out so many obscure titles, but you have to wonder how well they really sell? I only own two at the moment, Night of the Hunter & the Marx Brothers box! I'd like to look at the full range though as there are sure to be some hidden gems in there.

You're right though, never heard of 99 percent of their stuff!
Old 9th February 2018, 03:05 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
You've got to admire the Academy branch for putting out so many obscure titles, but you have to wonder how well they really sell? I only own two at the moment, Night of the Hunter & the Marx Brothers box! I'd like to look at the full range though as there are sure to be some hidden gems in there.

You're right though, never heard of 99 percent of their stuff!
hey Nostalgic, you have to get Dr. Jekyll and Miss Osbourne... totally bonkers! i also have a couple more Boro titles, Spirits of the Dead, The Manchurian Candidate and Network.
keirarts and fuzzymctiger like this.
Old 9th February 2018, 03:30 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

What a horrible cover for Irma Vep.

To say Maggie Cheung spends the film in a pvc catsuit i'd have thought they could have come up with something better than that godawful mess.
Justin101 and keirarts like this.
Old 9th February 2018, 03:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
hey Nostalgic, you have to get Dr. Jekyll and Miss Osbourne... totally bonkers! i also have a couple more Boro titles, Spirits of the Dead, The Manchurian Candidate and Network.
Want to try Spirits of the Dead as it's Poe, but have resolved to stop buying until later in the year. It's on my list though!
keirarts likes this.
Old 9th February 2018, 05:57 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
What a horrible cover for Irma Vep.

To say Maggie Cheung spends the film in a pvc catsuit i'd have thought they could have come up with something better than that godawful mess.

I quite like this new cover but hopefully it has some classic art on the other side!
keirarts likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!