LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th September 2014, 08:06 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Brooke View Post
Thanks for that - that's very much the intention.

I cut my teeth on BFI booklets (contributing to loads, editing three), and I've tried to maintain or surpass those standards on every project I work on. In fact, it's funny you should mention Criterion because when I started on The Night of the Hunter I knew that while my extras budget couldn't possibly compete with Criterion's (for starters, I only had one BD to play with, whereas they had two), at the very least I could make sure that the booklet was superior to theirs.

And one of the great things about having two media to play with is that I can decide whether things work better in text or video form. For instance, when it came to the making of Don Siegel's The Killers we had the headache that there was no pre-existing documentary and that virtually everyone involved was either dead or inaccessible (fruitless approaches were made to Angie Dickinson and Clu Gulager), so anything we created would inevitably be somewhat bitty. But Siegel's memoirs contained an incredibly detailed, punchy and vivid account of the shooting of the film (and a lengthy one as well - I think it tips the scales at over 8,000 words), and it's pretty much the last word on the topic.

And it's because of situations like the Siegel one that I could never regard the booklet as some kind of optional extra - it's an absolutely integral part of the package.
Booklets and reverse artwork,to me,are the prize extras in an Arrow package.
keirarts, shel and Buboven like this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 25th September 2014, 04:59 PM
Cult Master

"We finally signed off RABID DOGS today (woohoo!) but we can't confirm a release date til the BBFC confirm the rating. But in the meantime here are the final specs, don't under estimate the booklet, at 8,000 words it's a real corker and contains a nice surprise!

SPECIAL 3-DISC EDITION CONTENTS:
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation of ‘Rabid Dogs’ – Bava’s original version posthumously completed from his notes & ‘Kidnapped’ – the re-edited, re-dubbed and re-scored version, supervised by Bava’s son and assistant Lamberto Bava and producer Alfredo Leone
- Original Italian mono audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-ray)
- Newly translated English subtitles
- Audio Commentary with Bava biographer and expert Tim Lucas
- End of the Road: The Making of Rabid Dogs – A documentary featurette including interviews with Lamberto Bava, Alfredo Leone and star Lea Lander
- Bava and Eurocrime – An interview with Umberto Lenzi
- Alternate Semaforo Rosso version opening title sequence
- Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Stephen Thrower, Peter Blumenstock on the history of the film’s first distribution and more!"

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 25th September 2014, 05:43 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I've just ordered The Girl Who Knew Too Much from Zavvi for £13.99 and Rabid Dogs/Kidnapped from Arrow for £0.99, redeeming most of my reward points to bring the price down by £13.

I also received Night of the Comet today which, because of the three commentary tracks, I'll watch several times over the next week or so.
Old 25th September 2014, 07:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
"We finally signed off RABID DOGS today (woohoo!) but we can't confirm a release date til the BBFC confirm the rating. But in the meantime here are the final specs, don't under estimate the booklet, at 8,000 words it's a real corker and contains a nice surprise!

SPECIAL 3-DISC EDITION CONTENTS:
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation of ‘Rabid Dogs’ – Bava’s original version posthumously completed from his notes & ‘Kidnapped’ – the re-edited, re-dubbed and re-scored version, supervised by Bava’s son and assistant Lamberto Bava and producer Alfredo Leone
- Original Italian mono audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-ray)
- Newly translated English subtitles
- Audio Commentary with Bava biographer and expert Tim Lucas
- End of the Road: The Making of Rabid Dogs – A documentary featurette including interviews with Lamberto Bava, Alfredo Leone and star Lea Lander
- Bava and Eurocrime – An interview with Umberto Lenzi
- Alternate Semaforo Rosso version opening title sequence
- Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Stephen Thrower, Peter Blumenstock on the history of the film’s first distribution and more!"
At last! When was Rabid Dogs originally announced?
Old 25th September 2014, 07:09 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMIOUSE View Post
At last! When was Rabid Dogs originally announced?
1066 I think!!! The silver lining is that I pre-ordered this at £9.99 when it was first announced, which looks good value now.
Demdike@Cult Labs and shel like this.
Old 25th September 2014, 07:38 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Same here, I ordered it from Arrow the day it was announced. The shop listing still says English audio too, I didn't think Rabid Dogs or Kidnapped had an English dub.
Old 26th September 2014, 09:00 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I'm assuming two discs will be DVDs. It doesn't seem to mention, as far as I can see. It seems to have been rated by the BBFC, so hopefully it'll stick to the current date listed by retailers. It feels like an age since the last Bava release from Arrow. Now we have two coming along in such a short space of time. I consider The Girl Who Knew Too Much one of Bava's best too. Certainly in the top 3 for me.
Old 26th September 2014, 09:30 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKA View Post
I'm assuming two discs will be DVDs. It doesn't seem to mention, as far as I can see. It seems to have been rated by the BBFC, so hopefully it'll stick to the current date listed by retailers. It feels like an age since the last Bava release from Arrow. Now we have two coming along in such a short space of time. I consider The Girl Who Knew Too Much one of Bava's best too. Certainly in the top 3 for me.
I can't see anything on the BBFC website about it, and it seems the last Mario Bava film they rated was The Whip and the Body.
Old 26th September 2014, 09:34 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I can't see anything on the BBFC website about it, and it seems the last Mario Bava film they rated was The Whip and the Body.
Arrow posted this:

Quote:
...and BBFC pass RABID DOGS uncut, advising an 18 certificate and "scenes of strong sexual threat, humiliation, violence".
Old 26th September 2014, 09:52 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

That's excellent news. I wonder why I can't see it on the BBFC website.

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/search/releases/Rabid%2Bdogs

Like this? Share it using the links below!