Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26055Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th December 2015, 09:53 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default latest announcements

The art student part of my brain reckons arrow release some worthy alternative cinema, but the rest of my brain yawns knowing i'll never buy the stuff and demands to know where the tits and gore is?
Old 9th December 2015, 10:25 PM
Cult Addict

Right, I've had a drink and it's like this
Arrow aren't the label they used to be. They don't want to be the label they used to be.
They're embarrassed about the label they used to be.
They release some titles like the stuff they used to release because they're embarrassed about being embarrassed about the label they used to be.
Plus they don't like that 88, Second Sight, Odeon, Final Cut and now MediumRare are making good money releasing the type of stuff they used to release.
Sorry.
Tomorrow you can all crucify me.
Old 9th December 2015, 10:32 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Arrow aren't the label they used to be. They don't want to be the label they used to be.
They release some titles like the stuff they used to release because they're embarrassed about being embarrassed about the label they used to be.
Plus they don't like that 88, Second Sight, Odeon, Final Cut and now MediumRare are making good money releasing the type of stuff they used to release.
Sorry.
i disagree i just think they like to spread their wings on releases which is fair enough , and with recent lavish releases of hellraiser, blood rage nekromantik 2 i dont think they are embarassed by their roots in horror and exploitation, I just think they are trying to stay ahead of the game in a growing marketplace .
Old 9th December 2015, 10:45 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasterface View Post
i disagree i just think they like to spread their wings on releases which is fair enough , and with recent lavish releases of hellraiser, blood rage nekromantik 2 i dont think they are embarassed by their roots in horror and exploitation, I just think they are trying to stay ahead of the game in a growing marketplace .
Fair points Mr Face Sir. Not quite a crucifixion i grant you, but you could have waited til tomorrow as suggested. 😆
plasterface and MacBlayne like this.
Old 9th December 2015, 11:14 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Sorry.
Well, it's 00:10 so I feel I can say this: I always got the impression that Arrow was about alternative cinema, which includes exploitation and arthouse.

I was going to nail you to a cross but I'm afraid I mixed up my feet and inches again...

Old 10th December 2015, 07:28 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Nothing for me so far maybe Friday might bring something more to my taste.
J Harker likes this.
Old 10th December 2015, 05:26 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Sorry.
Mr Harker. You, Sir, have hit the nail on the head. By the end of 2016 I fully expect Arrow to have its head stuck firmly up its own arse and the horror/slasher/cheap ass exploitation films will be few and far between more art house/respected fare.

If you are a fan of this kind of crap then you will lap it up and more power to you but it's my personal opinion (Yeah, like assholes -we all got one!) that they are forsaking their core audience that made them what they are today in some misguided attempt at becoming a "respected" company. Criterion, anyone?

The forthcoming Buttgereit titles will do well for them - even these are being portrayed as Art house rather than horror - and there will always be the Fanboys who will buy every title they release even if it is a boring ass stink-fest like Waking Life or some Fassbinder excretment. Lets just hope that they have some awesome shit lined up for later on next year.

Now before I'm put up on a cross next to Mr H I would like to say that I have loved Arrow for many a year and their releases have been superb, I could wank over Videodrome, The Scarlet Box, Nekro 2 and, I'm sure, the coming Deep Red but I feel Mr H is right and Arrow will move away from what once made them great to the detriment of the fans that got them there.
Old 10th December 2015, 05:34 PM
Cultist

There's a bunch of recent Arrow announcements that I have little interest in either (Arrow Academy sub label) but there's so many still on my wishlist (proper horror) that I'm fine with that. Arrow have been releasing all sorts for years (there were simply just "Arrow films" years before the white slipcase "Arrow Video" days we know and love, I've two different copies of their release of Romero's Martin before the actual white slipcase version) so it's really nothing new they are releasing all sorts. Has everyone really bought everything they would ever want from their back collection?
Old 10th December 2015, 05:45 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Yeah, there's a lot I still need to pick-up - I usually wait for their sales though and only buy the LE releases that I'm interested in on day one or not long after release date through fear of them selling out. I think 2015 has been the first year that I haven't been able to bag all of the Arrow LE releases I've wanted in advance of release day due to the sheer quantity being released.

Plus, people tend to forget that during their horror/cult run in 2010/2011 they were releasing maybe ten titles a year on average whilst now they release around 2-3 every month so the number of horror titles has actually increased as a whole over prior years but it is also complimented by other cult fare; some of which is through their UK only sub-label Arrow Academy, which tends to be why the UK only announcements will include more and more non-horror stuff as their backlog of UK only AV releases runs dry.
Old 10th December 2015, 05:52 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
Mr Harker. You, Sir, have hit the nail on the head. By the end of 2016 I fully expect Arrow to have its head stuck firmly up its own arse and the horror/slasher/cheap ass exploitation films will be few and far between more art house/respected fare.

If you are a fan of this kind of crap then you will lap it up and more power to you but it's my personal opinion (Yeah, like assholes -we all got one!) that they are forsaking their core audience that made them what they are today in some misguided attempt at becoming a "respected" company. Criterion, anyone?

The forthcoming Buttgereit titles will do well for them - even these are being portrayed as Art house rather than horror - and there will always be the Fanboys who will buy every title they release even if it is a boring ass stink-fest like Waking Life or some Fassbinder excretment. Lets just hope that they have some awesome shit lined up for later on next year.

Now before I'm put up on a cross next to Mr H I would like to say that I have loved Arrow for many a year and their releases have been superb, I could wank over Videodrome, The Scarlet Box, Nekro 2 and, I'm sure, the coming Deep Red but I feel Mr H is right and Arrow will move away from what once made them great to the detriment of the fans that got them there.
Personally I think they are still covering all the bases they always have, but done even better?
Sam, plasterface and MacBlayne like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!