All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26050Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th January 2013, 05:16 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Don't you mean The Last Emperor? I thought Warner put out Empire of the Sun.
And Storaro didn't have anything to do with Empire of the Sun...
Old 4th January 2013, 05:17 PM
Active Cultist

Can anyone explain why the Arrow section has sort of vanished ?
Old 4th January 2013, 05:19 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by the blob View Post
Sorry, yep. Too many Empires/Emperors.

The thing about the decision is that I believe they were happy with it as it reflected the creators' wishes or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criterion
We’re getting a huge amount of mail about our edition of The Last Emperor, specifically about the aspect ratio, which is 2:1. Some people seem to believe that we’ve lost our minds, forsaken our mission, and taken it upon ourselves to crop the sides off the picture. Others assume we just got careless. Either way, a rising chorus is asking how we could do this to Vittorio Storaro’s Academy Award–winning compositions. And to Bernardo Bertolucci’s framing. The answer is, we couldn’t, and we wouldn’t, and we didn’t do anything to violate the filmmakers’ wishes. This is the way the filmmakers want the film to be seen.

From the start of this project, Bertolucci has insisted that Storaro have ultimate approval of the mastering of the feature. This master was made in Rome under Storaro’s direct supervision, with Bertolucci’s approval. When we asked Storaro about the framing of the film, he unhesitatingly told us that the correct aspect ratio for The Last Emperor was 2:1, even though the film was commonly projected at 2.35:1. He told us that The Last Emperor was the first film he shot specifically for 2.0 framing, and Bertolucci backs him up. Our mission is to present each film as its makers would want it to be seen, and in this case the director and cinematographer asked that we release their film in the format they say they had always envisioned. We had quite a lot of discussion over this, and we certainly knew it would be controversial, but in the end the decision was not made by us. It was made, as it should be, by the filmmakers.

I can understand how people might be upset about this. The general rule of thumb where widescreen films is concerned is that wider is better, but in this case it’s not so obvious. I recently had the pleasure of joining producer Jeremy Thomas at a screening of The Last Emperor, and I asked him about this issue. Was it really true that they had envisioned the film less wide than the 2.35:1 aspect ratio in which it was commonly screened? Thomas said that they had originally hoped that all of the original release prints would be in 70 mm, framed at 2.2:1 or 2:1, but not 2.35:1 or 2.33:1. Thomas said Storaro and Bertolucci filled the wider frame knowing that there would be 2.35:1 prints in circulation as well, but that they always knew they were shooting a format wider than what they hoped to release.

So, in short, while some viewers may prefer the wider framing, the filmmakers must have the final say. This is not a case of our losing track of our mission, but rather one of being true to it.

Would have loved Argento to have made a statement about TBWTCP and its framing
Old 4th January 2013, 05:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by davcol View Post
Because they ****ed up the authoring on ZFE and knew we'd get Medieval on their asses!
hallo37 and davcol like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 4th January 2013, 05:20 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
They're no longer being promoted by Cult Labs. Arrow's decision
Old 4th January 2013, 05:20 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

They all get something wrong sometime. There's also been criticism of Criterion's Videodrome (rightly or wrongly who knows) because it's cropped compared to the Universal. Eureka has had it for Rumblefish and is now getting it for Two Lane Blacktop. Criterion also insisted non-anamorphic was the way to go in the days when people were starting to switch to widescreen displays.

Personally, I don't buy labels/studios. I buy films. None of them are perfect.
Rik, hallo37 and Demdike@Cult Labs like this.
Old 4th January 2013, 05:23 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I thought MoC's Two Lane Blacktop was a very good presentation; Criterion's may be better but I don't think by that much. The criticism seems to stem from the Blu-ray.com reviewer - I'm not at all surprised he gave it to Criterion. Beaver was a little better balanced on this, I thought.
Old 4th January 2013, 05:23 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by the blob View Post
They all get something wrong sometime. There's also been criticism of Criterion's Videodrome (rightly or wrongly who knows) because it's cropped compared to the Universal. Eureka has had it for Rumblefish and is now getting it for Two Lane Blacktop. Criterion also insisted non-anamorphic was the way to go in the days when people were starting to switch to widescreen displays.

Personally, I don't buy labels/studios. I buy films. None of them are perfect.
/
What are people's issues with Eureka's Two Lane Backdrop?
Old 4th January 2013, 05:24 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
They're no longer being promoted by Cult Labs. Arrow's decision
Any idea why that is ?
Old 4th January 2013, 05:26 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Any idea why that is ?
No one knows really. Considering it costs them to be promoted by Fetch Publicity and Cult Labs I guess they just want to do their own promotion now via social networking. Nothing sinister or conspiratorial.

Like this? Share it using the links below!