Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26055Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd May 2015, 01:11 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

How can two companies release the same film on the same format in the same country?

Surely someone is breaching a rights contract.
Old 2nd May 2015, 02:09 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
How can two companies release the same film on the same format in the same country?

Surely someone is breaching a rights contract.
This has been brewing for a while. The director of Pit Stop Jack Hill maintains that he owns worldwide copyright of his film and sold the rights to Arrow to license in the UK (and now the US) whilst Roger Corman also maintained that he owned the rights, of which has been licensed to Code Red for some time now. Code Red has been sitting on them until Arrow announced and has obviously made a deal with Kino to distribute in the US. The prints/extras will probably differ over both sets, but the timing was crucial for Code Red/Kino as they couldn't afford not to announce the same day Arrow did as anything after could be detrimental to their sales.

However, that said the UK region free version has been available (and available cheap) for a while, and for a niche title such as this most people who wanted to own it probably already do.

Still, with Blood and Black Lace and now Pit Stop Arrow's venture into the US has hardly got off to the greatest of starts.
Old 2nd May 2015, 02:11 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
This has been brewing for a while. The director of Pit Stop Jack Hill maintains that he owns worldwide copyright of his film and sold the rights to Arrow to license in the UK (and now the US) whilst Roger Corman also maintained that he owned the rights, of which has been licensed to Code Red for some time now. Code Red has been sitting on them until Arrow announced and has obviously made a deal with Kino to distribute in the US. The prints/extras will probably differ over both sets, but the timing was crucial for Code Red/Kino as they couldn't afford not to announce the same day Arrow did as anything after could be detrimental to their sales.

However, that said the UK region free version has been available (and available cheap) for a while, and for a niche title such as this most people who wanted to own it probably already do.

Still, with Blood and Black Lace and now Pit Stop Arrow's venture into the US has hardly got off to the greatest of starts.
Thanks for the info B_E. Very informative.

So what went wrong with Blood and Black Lace?
Old 2nd May 2015, 02:19 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Thanks for the info B_E. Very informative.

So what went wrong with Blood and Black Lace?
Arrow originally announced the title for both UK and US distribution however encountered a rights issue in the US (probably due to VCI who released the last US version) and has had to postpone the release indefinitely (pretty much a few days before it was released so the units had all been manufactured and discs pressed) until the rights entanglement has been sorted out. This has led to a lot of annoyed US fans - most of which who contributed to the Indiegogo campaign. A lot of these fans have now been encouraged to buy/replace their Indiegogo reward with the UK version (which was released region A and B on Blu) until the rights issues have been sorted one way or another.
keirarts likes this.
Old 2nd May 2015, 02:43 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Arrow originally announced the title for both UK and US distribution however encountered a rights issue in the US (probably due to VCI who released the last US version) and has had to postpone the release indefinitely (pretty much a few days before it was released so the units had all been manufactured and discs pressed) until the rights entanglement has been sorted out. This has led to a lot of annoyed US fans - most of which who contributed to the Indiegogo campaign. A lot of these fans have now been encouraged to buy/replace their Indiegogo reward with the UK version (which was released region A and B on Blu) until the rights issues have been sorted one way or another.
Do you get the feeling they should get out of the US market whilst the goings good?
Old 2nd May 2015, 03:27 PM
Seasoned Cultist

High Rising Productions edited their post on facebook because they realised Nekromantik isn't released in the USA by Arrow.
Old 2nd May 2015, 03:37 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:

Messy and complicated situation, isn't it?!
Old 2nd May 2015, 03:55 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane View Post
High Rising Productions edited their post on facebook because they realised Nekromantik isn't released in the USA by Arrow.
Yes this was my fault and I apologise without reservation for the confusion.

I am somewhat saddened however that armchair 'experts' on the Critereon Forum seem to have their own madcap ideas about my actions and thinking. I will make it very clear - when you work for a company, any company, as a freelance employee you do so under clear guidelines. Pit Stop is not the first time Arrow has breached the agreement under which we worked for them - we were expected to give Scream Factory our Motel Hell extras, for free, so Arrow could gain their stuff on Night of the Comet - an arrangement that benefited them and not us. On the other hand when Synapse asked us to re-edit the interviews with Luigo Cozzi and Sergio Stivaletti that appeared on Arrow's Demons BD (footage we gave them for free and which they proceeded to pay another editor to put together) we were told this was unacceptable. Even though this footage which we shot and supplied we were never paid for.

There has been a bit of this in the past and we finally put our foot down with Mark of the Devil. We were paid for the use of our stuff on the Arrow USA edition and promised by email this would never happen again. As I said, I honour my side of this - Synapse asked me if I could supply them our stuff for Tenebrae and Phenomena just last week and I said I could not as it would breach the agreement I have with Arrow.

To now see our stuff announced on Pit Stop is frankly shocking and I trust and hope they will pull this material.
Old 2nd May 2015, 05:01 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Messy and complicated situation, isn't it?!
Well Olsen is always whinging about other companies 'stealing his rights' so the old saying....what goes around....

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 2nd May 2015, 07:53 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Arrow US vs. Code Red:

Like this? Share it using the links below!