All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26050Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th April 2016, 06:17 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
I really don't understand why they would bother with the R-rated cut
Must admit that I always have a problem when I play the old EIV version of 'Leatherface', and I am faced with "Do you want to play the cut version, or the uncut version", and I think to myself "um, let me think for a minute..."!

Saying that, tho, I do like having both versions on a disc, because I find it interesting to see how much, and what material has been removed - although I will almost certainly only watch the cut version once!!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 20th April 2016, 07:45 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Must admit that I always have a problem when I play the old EIV version of 'Leatherface', and I am faced with "Do you want to play the cut version, or the uncut version", and I think to myself "um, let me think for a minute..."!

Saying that, tho, I do like having both versions on a disc, because I find it interesting to see how much, and what material has been removed - although I will almost certainly only watch the cut version once!!
I think if the cut version is a theatrical cut or uses alternate shots/takes it should definitely be preserved and is worth having.

Cut for home video? Pointless to preserve

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 20th April 2016, 09:08 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
I think if the cut version is a theatrical cut or uses alternate shots/takes it should definitely be preserved and is worth having.

Cut for home video? Pointless to preserve
My policy is that if a cut version is likely to be very familiar to a lot of potential customers, there's a good case for retaining it if only for nostalgia reasons - unless of course it's been butchered to the point of incomprehensibility, when it's a waste of disc space.

A case in point: the upcoming Crimes of Passion. There are three cuts of this film - the R-rated US one, which is worthless (and director-disowned), the 107-minute international theatrical cut (which we know that Ken Russell personally signed off on) and a 112-minute "extended cut", whose bona fides are unclear. So while Arrow isn't bothering with the R-rated cut, they are including both of the others.

There may also be a more practical reason for including two versions - sometimes "uncut" versions have to be reassembled by splicing in footage of noticeably subpar quality which viewers may find distracting (Hellraiser 3 and Pray for Death are recent examples), so the R-rated versions are included because they offer an uninterrupted viewing experience at optimum technical quality. Come to think of it, the 112-minute version of Crimes of Passion may well be a similar situation, as I don't know if 35mm materials for the offcuts still survive.
Old 20th April 2016, 05:18 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Brooke View Post
My policy is that if a cut version is likely to be very familiar to a lot of potential customers, there's a good case for retaining it if only for nostalgia reasons - unless of course it's been butchered to the point of incomprehensibility, when it's a waste of disc space.

A case in point: the upcoming Crimes of Passion. There are three cuts of this film - the R-rated US one, which is worthless (and director-disowned), the 107-minute international theatrical cut (which we know that Ken Russell personally signed off on) and a 112-minute "extended cut", whose bona fides are unclear. So while Arrow isn't bothering with the R-rated cut, they are including both of the others.

There may also be a more practical reason for including two versions - sometimes "uncut" versions have to be reassembled by splicing in footage of noticeably subpar quality which viewers may find distracting (Hellraiser 3 and Pray for Death are recent examples), so the R-rated versions are included because they offer an uninterrupted viewing experience at optimum technical quality. Come to think of it, the 112-minute version of Crimes of Passion may well be a similar situation, as I don't know if 35mm materials for the offcuts still survive.
If the versions have clear differences then I can see the reason for including it. With re-animator 2 its literally a few short snips on Gore scenes. Its very different from say Rob Zombies Halloween (1st one that popped into my head) where the R-rated and unrated use entirely different scenes ect.
As for crimes of passion. Totally stoked for that. I've set myself a task of trying to get all Ken's stuff on Blu-ray wherever possible. I own DVD's of Lair of the white worm and The Devils, Blu-rays of Altered states, Great passions, great performers and Valentino so far.
Old 20th April 2016, 06:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
As for crimes of passion. Totally stoked for that. I've set myself a task of trying to get all Ken's stuff on Blu-ray wherever possible. I own DVD's of Lair of the white worm and The Devils, Blu-rays of Altered states, Great passions, great performers and Valentino so far.
The BFI Valentino disc is outstanding, I thought the film was pretty interesting as well with some really memorable scenes, I'm a big Ken Russell fan as well and I'm trying to make a collection also.
keirarts likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 20th April 2016, 07:25 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
US Bride of Re-Animator is sold out, UK version is sold out on the Arrow store, but still some with retailers. Shouldn't be long until we get it without all the fancy packaging and cut version of the film.
Does anybody know how many its limited to? UK version.
Old 20th April 2016, 07:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayzeUK View Post
Does anybody know how many its limited to? UK version.
5000, but it's not numbered like some of the other sets they've done (5000 for the US too)
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 20th April 2016, 07:31 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Look at this beautiful little bugger! Can't wait for Hired To Kill next month.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1461180683.298798.jpg
Old 21st April 2016, 06:42 PM
Cult Acolyte

My screen shot recipt from Amazon for SHIVERS has been accepted. The discs are on their way.
Old 21st April 2016, 06:48 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
My screen shot recipt from Amazon for SHIVERS has been accepted. The discs are on their way.
keirarts and Dave Boy like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!