Like Tree1201Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th August 2023, 07:03 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Have you seen any of the stuff on this one Dem? Your review of the first volume (I think) didn't sell it at all for me. Not that you were trying to.
No. None of them. It's not a set i'll be getting to be honest. I got rid of the first one and didn't bother at all with the second.

The best film by a mile on volume one was The Lake which was added to The Appointment Blu-ray plus all it's extras so i was well happy with that one.
Old 5th August 2023, 07:04 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Brannigan extras

Presented in High Definition

Audio commentary by Steve Mitchell and critic Nathaniel Thompson (2017)

A Duke Out of Water (2023, 37 mins): reminiscences from the people who made Brannigan

Frank Henson on Brannigan (2021, 4 mins): the veteran stuntman looks back on doubling the Duke

Take It to the Bridge (1905-1956, 23 mins): historical glimpses of the Thames, Tower Bridge and other Brannigan locations

A Policeman’s Lot (1896-1973, 35 mins): a copper’s clutch of films concerning crimefighters and crooks, proceeding from the very earliest days of cinema towards the Brannigan era

The Guardian Interview: Richard Attenborough (1983, 89 mins, audio only): the award-winning actor and director, and John Wayne’s Brannigan co-star, reflects upon his illustrious career

An extensive selection of location photographs, featuring cast and crew

Original trailer

**FIRST PRESSING ONLY** Illustrated booklet with new essays by Johnny Mains and John Oliver, notes on the special features and credits
Old 5th August 2023, 07:11 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Gothic (Blu-ray)
Director: Ken Russell

As a wild storm rages over Lord Byron’s literary house party, the poet suggests that his famous guests concoct a ghost story. But after deciding a séance would liven up the evening, they soon conjure up their deepest fears and are plunged into a surreal horror. Is it merely the power of their own intense lust and vivid imaginations that is tormenting them or have they, in fact, raised the dead?

Directed by cult favourite Ken Russell (The Devils ) and starring Gabriel Byrne (Hereditary), Julian Sands (A Room With a View), Natasha Richardson (The Comfort of Strangers) and Timothy Spall (Mr Turner), Gothic delves into the erotic and terrifying night on the shores of Lake Geneva that ultimately gave birth to Mary Shelley’s classic horror story Frankenstein.

Extras

Presented in High Definition

Feature commentary by film historian Matthew Melia and Lisi Russell (2018)

The Fall of the Louse of Usher (2002, 83 mins): Ken Russell returns to gothic themes in this legendarily lurid late video work featuring an all-star cast

A Haunted Evening (2023, 35 mins): Stephen Volk, the writer of Gothic, revisits his earliest feature script

The Sound of Shelley with Julian Sands (2017, 18 mins): the actor reflects upon the making of Gothic

Amelia and the Angel (1958, 27 mins): in this charming early Russell short, a young girl, cast as an angel in the school play, is distraught when her brother damages her treasured wings. Pocket money in hand, Amelia traverses London on the hunt for a new pair in time for the play

The Guardian Lecture: Ken Russell in conversation with Derek Malcolm (1987, 87 mins, audio only): the director reflects upon his career, at the time of Gothic

Original trailer

**FIRST PRESSING ONLY** Illustrated booklet featuring new essays by Ellen Cheshire, Jon Dear, and Matthew Melia and full film credits

This was a must buy for me anyway but with The Fall of the Louse of Usher added it's unmissable -
Old 23rd August 2023, 03:22 PM
Cult Master

'23 Seconds to Eternity' (2023) - Blu-ray / DVD combo pre-order available from BFI direct - £16:99

Release date: November 6

"The KLF became the biggest selling singles act in the world in 1991 with a series of international smash hits including acid house anthems 3 A.M. Eternal, Last Train To Transcentral, and Justified & Ancient, released on their own KLF Communications record label.

Produced and directed by Bill Butt in collaboration with Jimmy Cauty and Bill Drummond in their various guises as The JAMs, The KLF and The Timelords, one of the most successful, subversively creative and enigmatic electronic bands of the early 90s, 23 Seconds to Eternity takes viewers on a film journey through the collected music videos and short features including The White Room (1989), The Rites of Mu (1991), narrated by Martin Sheen and the previously unreleased Krash (1992). Also included are the world famous music videos for the hit singles 3 A.M. Eternal, What Time is Love? and Justified & Ancient.

This release is the first ever compilation of KLF Communication’s films and this release will feature an array of special features and an illustrated booklet featuring rare and previously unseen material.
"

Special features:
  • KLF: Unfinished (1992, 30 mins): making of documentary including optional commentary by director Robert Milton Wallace
  • Interview with Bill Butt by Mick Houghton (2023): the producer and director discusses the making of 23 Seconds to Eternity
  • This Is Not What The KLF Is About (1991, 15 mins): a short film shot and edited by Jimmy Cauty capturing the making of Stadium House Trilogy, newly remastered by Rich Osborn
  • 23 Seconds to Eternity theatrical trailer (2023, 2 mins)
  • KRASH trailer (1 min)
  • The White Room trailer (1 min)
  • Stills gallery
  • Limited edition includes an illustrated booklet with new writing by Mick Houghton and the BFI’s William Fowler, Bill Butt’s filmography, an introduction to The White Room, and rare images from the personal collections of Bill Butt and Mick Houghton

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 23 Seconds To Eternity.jpg (40.8 KB, 69 views)

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 23rd August 2023, 04:03 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

That looks like something worth getting. I really hope their performance at the Brit Awards with Extreme Noise Terror is on there. That was fantastic.

I know it's on YT but i want it in all it's glory smashing my surround system to bits.
Old 16th November 2023, 10:22 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The many stills shown here have convinced me i need this. They look gorgeous. A stunning upgrade on the dvd versions.

Ghost Stories for Christmas Volume 2 Blu-ray - Denholm Elliott
Mojo, Justin101 and Demoncrat like this.
Old 17th November 2023, 09:56 AM
Cult Veteran

I agree, I saw the review yesterday. I was buying it regardless but it’s a clear upgrade all around. Same with volume 1.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 17th November 2023, 01:30 PM
Cult Acolyte

Yeah - those stills are absolutely night and day in comparison.
I already have Vol 1 and looking to get Vol 2 for Xmas
Old 17th November 2023, 01:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Yeah - those stills are absolutely night and day in comparison.
I already have Vol 1 and looking to get Vol 2 for Xmas
I got Volume one the other week and was thinking of leaving Volume II until next year. However, those stills...
Old 17th November 2023, 01:48 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I got Volume one the other week and was thinking of leaving Volume II until next year. However, those stills...
Have you watched any of Vol 1 yet, Dem?

Like this? Share it using the links below!