Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Members' Club > Competition Corner > Competition Archive > Past Competitions - 2010
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th March 2010, 12:21 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

very cool Roughale, love the last line.
Old 24th March 2010, 12:35 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
very cool Roughale, love the last line.
Thanks, the last line, that's a start No, seriously that was my initial starting point where I wanted to arrive, this line and the first one, it is also fun towrite in my chosen (and prefered) second language
Old 24th March 2010, 01:09 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Send a message via Yahoo to darthelvis
Default Chow Down Mister

My brain was in overdrive last night when I went to bed as I've been thinking the past few days about a story for this competition and all of a sudden this popped into my head. My original idea is coming shortly but this is a fun little piece for you all to sing along at work wherever that may be.

If you imagine the tune of Bow Down Mister by Boy George (sad I remember it!) and sing this along to it. I call it:

Chow Down Mister

With tambourine you bang out a song
Your Krishna friends sing along
Outside the Monroeville Shopping Mall
Hare, Hare, Hare

The Living Dead start to circulate
Tripping over your robe seals your fate
Panic sets in as eyes dilate
Hare, Hare, Hare

Chow Down Mister
Hare Rama, Hare Krishna
Chow Down Mister
The Dead will walk the earth

In some sad ironic twist
It’s a zombie nun that bites your wrist
The gods sure know how to take the piss
Hare, Hare, Hare

Chow Down Mister
Hare Rama, Hare Krishna
Chow Down Mister
The Dead will walk the earth

Shuffling through boxes of spam
You raise your rotting greyish hand
A shotgun’s butt ends your plan
Hare, Hare, Hare

Just as Night became the Dawn
A brand new Day rages on
The fight is lost and we never won
Hare, Hare, Hare

Chow Down Mister
Hare Rama, Hare Krishna
Chow Down Mister
The Dead Walk….the earth

Hope you enjoyed that! Should be more to come from me if I ever finish it but in the meantime here is a link to a song I wrote called The Vessel by my old band Hidden Leaves. As you will hear it is strongly influenced by Romero!
www.reverbnation.com/hiddenleaves
NB: Not one of my finest moments!
Attached Thumbnails
Weekly Comp - Day Of The Dead Blu-Ray - 21/03/2010-hare-krishna.jpg  
Hang Loose & Join the Community @ www.theforcebook.com
Old 24th March 2010, 04:45 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Default Romero & Juliet (Or How I met your Mother the Nurse Zombie)

Here is the piece I have been working on for the past few days, hope you enjoy it.

Romero & Juliet (OR HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER THE ZOMBIE NURSE)

INT: Inside a boarded up suburban house. FRANK Johnston looks through the peephole in his front door as the WGON-TV van pulls up outside his house.

THE CAMERA STARTS WITH A WIDE SHOT OF THE ROOM.

The room is cluttered with empty food can's, furniture upended and blocking the windows and other doors. The only piece of furniture left alone is an armchair in front of the tv. A shotgun is resting against the side of the seat. The fireplace has a raging fire blazing.

THE CAMERA ZOOMS IN AND LOOKS THROUGH THE PEEPHOLE IN THE DOOR REVEALING THE VAN DOORS OPENING AND TWO MEN CARRYING CAMERA EQUIPMENT APPROACHING THE DOOR.

Frank Johnston is a man in his mid-40's, fairly heavy set with thinning hair on top. he is wearng a yellow sweater vest on top of a chequered white shirt.

The WGON-TV crew approach the door of the Johnston house and knock.

Frank unlocks the door and removes the wooden plank that has been braced against the door as extra support to keep the living dead from breaking through.

FRANK: In you come guys, is it just the two of you?

Frank relocks the door and replaces the plank once the guys enter his house.

SCOTT the cameraman is in his late 20's with short fair curly hair and wearing a plaid shirt and jeans.

SCOTT: We are working on a real skeleton crew since the shit hit the fan.

JOSH Carpenter is on his first day as an unofficial anchorman. Josh is in his early 30's with brown hair and is wearing a cheap navy suit which hangs off him.

JOSH: Shall we set up over here?

Josh points toward the armchair which sits in front of the TV & Fireplace in the corner of the room. The TV is on but all we see is static.

FRANK: That's fine.

Frank seems uneasy, he is sweating ever so slightly and seems like his mind is elsewhere.

SCOTT: Nervous Mr Johnston?

FRANK: A little.

JOSH: Don't worry, we don't bite.

CAMERA CUTS TO CLOSE UP OF SCOTT WHO LOOKS AT JOSH WITH A REAL LOOK OF DISGUST AS HE SHAKES HIS HEAD.

JOSH: Sorry Sir, I never thought. I'm so sorry.

FRANK: (Rather angrily) Shall we get started.

SCOTT: Ready to go Mr Johnston.

FADE TO BLACK

THE TV INTERVIEW

CLOSE UP OF FRANK.

JOSH IS OFF CAMERA FOR THE FULL INTERVIEW AS THERE IS ONLY ONE CAMERA AND MOST OF THE EXPERIENCED STAFF HAVE NOT COME IN TO WORK SINCE THE OUTBREAK.

JOSH: Can I first of all say how sorry I am to hear about the passing of your wife. Can you tell us how you both met?

FRANK: Thanks. I met June at the Monroeville Mall in Pittsburgh. I was heading up the escalator to Penny's when I remembered I'd forgotten something on the ground floor. Stupidly instead of going up to top and then coming back down the down escalator, I decided to turn around and walk down the up one. That's when fate stepped in. I bumped into the most stunning woman I'd ever seen...

Frank pauses and starts to whell up.

JOSH: Are you alright to continue? We can take a break if you like, I know it's hard.

Frank composing himself

FRANK: No I'm alright. (Clears his throat). She was on her lunch break from the hospital, a vision in white, dressed top to toe in her nurses uniform. That was it, I was floored. A year later we were married. We've been married now for 17 years. We made quite a few visits to the mall as we courted. June loved ice-skating so we'd go for a skate and then we'd go to the Brown Derby for a juicy steak dinner. It was a long trip but well worth it.

Off camera there is some quiet banging heard. Josh and the Cameraman Scott seem a little uncomfortable but choose to ignore it.

JOSH: Sorry Frank where were we? Alright can you explain in your own words what happened 3 nights ago? Take your time, I know this must be really hard for you.

Frank is getting more and more distressed. He is starting to look very feverish and uncomfortable.

FRANK: (Clearing his throat again) June was at work as usual, working the night shift at the hospital. The police brought in a man who had to be restrained and seemed to be bleeding from a wound in his neck. June went to clean his wound and the man snapped his head forward biting her arm.

FRANK is now in tears. The room is eerily quiet until another series of quiet bangs can be heard from another room.

Scott zooms the camera in to a close up of franks face.

FRANK: (Coughing) Her bosses sent her home after cleaning and bandaging her wound as she was clearly in shock.... She got home and went straight to bed. The next morning she didn't wake up..... It was at that point that the news started to come through that the dead were returning to life and attacking the living.

SCOTT: Shall we break there?

FRANK: No. No, I can continue..... I had to do what I had to do.... She is my world.

Frank stretches out his arm towards his shotgun which rests beside the armchair. As his arm is out-stretched, his shirt cuff moves to reveal a bandage on his wrist. Frank rises to his feet taking the shotgun in his hand.

JOSH bolts to his feet.

JOSH: What the hell are you doing Frank?

Frank backs towards the door at the rear of the room and slowly unbolts the lock.

FRANK: I'm sorry.....She's hungry and I don't know what else to do.

The door bursts open, knocking Frank to the floor. The undead body of June, still dressed in her nurses uniform shuffles towards Josh who has grabbed a poker from the fireplace and is swinging it in front of him.

June (nurse zombie) is dressed in her full nurse uniform and her skin has turned a pale grey blue colour. SHE moves slowly like rigamortis has set in to most of the muscles in her body. each step IS laboured and her eyes roll in THEIR sunken sockets.

Frank pumps his shotgun and takes aim at Josh's leg. His gun goes off, blowing a hole in Josh's leg, crumpling him to the floor like an accordion, dropping the poker as he goes down.

JOSH: (Cries out in agony). You ****!

Frank pumps his shotgun ready for a second shot. Frank still lying on the floor, doesn't look like he's getting up any time soon.

Cries can still be heard from Josh as June drops to her knees and sinks her teeth in to the flesh hanging around the hole in his leg. The flesh stretches as she pulls her head away from his leg snapping the flesh away with it. Josh passes out with the pain as the nurse goes in for a second helping this time taking a chunk out of his neck.

SCOTT THE CAMERAMAN after standing motionless still in shock walks toward frank as the nurse continues to feed on josh.

SCOTT: Please Frank, just let me go. You could let me go.

FRANK: Through the door and head down the hall and you'll come to back door.....(Coughing loudly) Key is in the door.

THE CAMERA IS CLOSE IN ON SCOTT AND PULLS BACK SLOWLY TO A WIDE SHOT REVEALING JUNE THE ZOMBIE NURSE BEHIND SCOTT.

The floorboards behind Scott creak, as a bloody hand grabs Scott's throat. With a gurgle, the nurse rips Scott's throat out. Scott stumbles backwards falling into the armchair, spraying blood over the family portraits that line the mantle above the fireplace.

SLOW MOTION SHOT OF THE MANTLEPIECE SHOWING THE BLOOD SPLATTERED FAMILY PHOTOS.

CAMERA TURNS TO SCOTT AS HE FALLS BACK INTO THE CHAIR.

As Scott lays dying in the chair, June tears at the wound where his throat used to be, frantically feeding into the meat she manages to tear away.

Frank sits quietly on the floor as the woman he called his wife eats the remains of the two tv journalists.

FRANK: I'll always love you honey.

THE CAMERA ZOOMS INTO THE FACE OF JUNE AS SHE BREAKS FROM HER MEAL FOR A SECOND. HER FACE COVERED IN BLOOD SHE LOOKS TOWARD FRANK. THE CAMERA PANS INTO A CLOSE UP OF HER EYES, REVEALING WHAT CAN ONLY BE DESCRIBED AS THE LAST OUNCE OF HUMANITY LEFT IN HER.

FADE TO BLACK

THE END

IN MEMORY OF CLAYTON HILL 1931-2009 (Sweater/Escalator Zombie)
Attached Thumbnails
Weekly Comp - Day Of The Dead Blu-Ray - 21/03/2010-clayton-hill.jpg  

Last edited by darthelvis; 24th March 2010 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Missing photo
Old 24th March 2010, 09:58 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

cool, D-elvis, i thought about doing it in script form, may do a second one like that.....
Old 26th March 2010, 05:42 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

OK here's my entry,I decided to do an origin type piece using the two little kid zombies from DAWN OF THE DEAD

SCENE STARTS WITH MOTHER FIGURE TALKING TO TWO SMALL CHILDREN IN THE KITCHEN IN THEIR FAMILY HOME

Mother: Did everyone finish their chores?
Boy/Girl;Yes...
Mother : Did you finish all your Homework?
Boy Girl:Yes...
Mother;Are you sure?
BoY/GirlYes..
Mother; Did you brush your teeth?
Boy/Girl:Yes..
Mother:Are you ready for a Smith Family Sunday fun Day then?
Boy/Girl:YEEEEESSSSSS!!!!
Mother :Ok then go get ready and when your Father is ready we will go
BOY/Girl:Squeals with Sheer delight....
Mother :Quick now go get ready and wait outside .

NOY AND GIRL ARE SEEN GETTING READY AND THEN HEAD OUT INTO THE BACK YARD.AS THEY ENTER THE YARDA STRANGE DARK STUMBLING FIGURE IS SEEN CREEPING IN THE LOWER LEFT CORNER

BOY NOTICES AND LOOKS UP

Boy:Hey Mister what are you doing here?
Zombie:moans......
Boy:Are you ok Mister?
Girl: Don't talk to him he's weird
Girl:Im going to tell to Tell Mom!

ZOMBIE CLOSES IN ON THE CHILDREN

Boy:We're not going to get ice Cream are we?
Girl:crys....We're going to see Grandma

WARNING>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
THE BBFC has found the following scene to be to graphic,in poor taste, immoral,disturbing and has been removed
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>

MEANWHILE BACK IN THE KITCHEN

FATHER FIGURE ENTERS THE KITCHEN

Father:Hi Hon!Ready to go?Where are the kids?
Mother:I sent them outside
AS FATHER FIGURE ENTERS THE ROOM HE APPROACHES MOTHER FIGUREAND KISSES HER

MOTHER SMILES AS SHE KISSES FATHER
AS THEY ARE KISSING SCREAMS FROM OUTSIDE CAN BE HEARD IN THE KITCHEN

Mother:You hear that?
Father:Yeah that's just the kids having fun out there,let them be.Come here and give me a kiss
Mother:Let's go upstairs
Father:Giggles
MOTHER AND FATHER ARE SEEN PLAYFULLY GOING UP THE STAIRS AND HEAD INTO ONE THE ROOMS UPSTAIRS

END OF SCENE
Old 27th March 2010, 01:24 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

okay i thought id add another one just for the hell of it, this time though it's in script form and is very long because i couldn't shorten it, it's very dialogue heavy and follows The security guard at the TV station in Dawn who grabs his jacket an leaves after Steven turns up, i always wondered what had happened to him so here we go....

INT. WGON TV STATION - NIGHT

Frank Beauford, 29, security guard waits by the entrance to the control room. Down in the studio, a heated discussion rages in between a medical professional and the Shows host.

Steven, WGON traffic pilot, enters the room. Frank Stops him and Steven shows him his id.

Frank gives up waiting leaves the room and grabs his jacket.

EXT. WGON TELEVISION STATION CARPARK

Frank exits into the carpark. Its dark and there is very little light. He searches for his car, a cherry red '69 Chevrolet Camaro. He hears foot steps behind him getting closer and closer. A hand grabs his shoulder. He reacts by grabing the wrist and throwing the man to the ground only to discover it's his friend, Clifton Millbran.

FRANK
jesus christ Cliff, you scared the living shit outta me. what the hell you doing creeping around in the dark for?

CLIFF
(on the floor)
trying to find out where your going.

FRANK
(helping cliff up)
im getting in my car, slamming my foot on the accellorator and getting the **** outta dodge, you better do the same man, everything's gone to shit.

CLIFF
what's happened?

FRANK
these things are everywhere man, everywhere, not just here, they got reports from all over the states man, Georgia, Texas, Florida, everywhere. They aint gonna be on air for much longer either, The emergancey Broadcast systems gotta kick in at some point.

CLIFF
you heard that congress called a state of the union and placed us all under marshall Law.

FRANK
fat lotta good that's gonna do, They out number us twenty to one. We my friend are as the french say ****ed.

In the distance is the sound of blarring sirens, Ambulances police cars, fire engines, every available emergancy service is out in force.

FRANK
look man, i gotta go, your more than welcome to join me.

CLIFF
where you headed?

FRANK
somewhere cold, isolated and away from all this. My cousin Archie's got a cabin up in cold bay, Alaska, these things wouldn't survive the weather up there, it's the safest place i can think of.

CLIFF
count me in brother, i need to get my shit first. We gotta stop of at my place. that okay by you frank?

FRANK
yeah thats fine but you gotta be fast, hey you got a peice?

CLIFF
i got a twelve gage and snubnose, aint got much ammo though, how bout you?

FRANK
got my old man's 45, got some ammo too.

CLIFF
you wanna leave now?

FRANK
the faster we leave the quicker we'll get to Cold bay.

The men get into Franks car, He turns on the ignition and fires up the beast of an engine. puts it into reverse, backs out and makes his way onto the open pittsburg streets.

EXT. STREET, NIGHT

The Camaro turns out of the car park and onto an eerily empty street, normally busy with commutors on heir way home. Above them they hear the sound of a helicopter. They both look out throught the front windshield and up into the night sky. They spot the WGON traffic copter as it flies off.

FRANK
that's the traffic chopper, i guess they're running too.

CLIFF
it looks like everyone is, come on lets go.

Franks slams on the accelorator and the car speeds off down the road.

FADE OUT

FADE IN

EXT. HIGHWAY, DAWN

The Camaro Hurtles along the highway at an alarming speed, Frank not stopping while hitting the living dead that brainlesly stumble onto the road. Cliff looks down at the Fuel gage.

CLIFF
we're running low frank, we need to find a gas station soon, or we're gonna be stuck out here.

FRANK
there's a gas station about three miles from here, we can make it, even if we're only running on fumes.

Frank speeds up, burning more fuel but hoping the car reaches the gas station.

EXT. LOU'S GAS AND GUZZLE - MORNING

The now Blood red Camaro pulls onto the forecourt of Lou's Fas and Guzzle. A rundown place, not much else around it except for trees and wild life. The Car Rolls over the bell cable making a pinging sound. The car rolls to a stop.

A middle aged man, Fat and balding comes out to the car carring a shotgun. This is Lou.

LOU
you stay right where you are, im sick of you city slicker coming out here and using up all my gas.

FRANK
(through window)
hey old man, we need a fill up, This is a gas station right?

LOU
sure is but you aint getting a drop unless you pay. You got money?

FRANK
yeah we got money, how much you want?

LOU
(still pointing shotgun)
twenty bucks a gallon.

CLIFF
(to Frank)
you hear that, twenty bucks a gallon, this old time looking mother****er's tryin' ta rip us off.

LOU
(pointing to Cliff)
you, yeah you, what you saying boy, i might be old but i know when someone's plottin' something.

FRANK
(to Lou)
come on man, twenty bucks, don't you think thats a bit steep.

LOU
no money no gas, thats business for you son.

FRANK
i got hundred and fifty bucks and a gold watch that's worth around another hundred and fifty, you got at least three hundred bucks there, we want sixty gallons, can you do that friend.

LOU
sixty gallons for three hundred bucks, what you think this place is a goddamn swap meet, you think it's right to prey on old folks, get outta here.

FRANK
look man, i think 300 bucks is more than enough, we aint trying to rip you off we just want some gas and we'll leave you alone, now im gonna get out my car so we can work this out like civilised human beings.

Frank gets out of the car. He raises his hands to show he's not armed.

FRANK
now, im guessing your Lou and this is your place right?, well im frank and my friend in the car is Cliff, we just want to get as far away from here as possible. You know as well as everyone else, that twenty bucks a gallon is extortion, what with everything that's happening, don't you think that you should be doing the right thing?

As soon a frank finishes, He see's a Man stumble out from behind the gas station, His face, ripped to shreds, his jaw hangs only by the tendens in his mouth. He moves wth a slow shuffle. A eery moan bellows from with in him. Lou hears the moan and turns around and and cocks the shotgun but nothing happens, The zombie, grabs him and takes a huge bite out of him arm. He drops the shotgun that fires when it hits the ground, blowing the zombie's leg clean off.

Frank shouts to Cliff.

FRANK
cliff...CLIFF, Shoot it man, Shoot it in the head.

Cliff fires his gun, the bullet pierces the zombies skull blowing his brains out the back of his head. Lou lies on the floor holding his arm that now has a gaping wound in it, blood pumps out of it. Cliff Throws frank the gun. Frank stands over Lou and points the barrel at Lou's head.

LOU
Please don't kill me, Please take the Gas.

FRANK
it's either you or us pal, im sorry.

Frank squeezes the trigger and plants a bullet right into Lou's forehead killing him instantly.

FRANK
poor old bastard.

They fill up the car and drive off along the desolate highway towards the final destination, COLD BAY, ALASKA. POPULATION 88 and falling.
Old 27th March 2010, 07:27 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Nice one Pedro!
Old 27th March 2010, 07:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

To be honest id love to have entered this wk comp but ive been extremely busy and had a lot on my mind and to be honest totaly forgot as well lol
So well done for those who already put there piece on
And good luck for those who win tomorow im jealous to be honest but hey hum such is life ..
Old 28th March 2010, 11:28 AM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Helloo!

First of let me just say that each of these entries are EXCELLENT!!!!!!!! Seriously each and every one! You've all obviously worked super hard on these, it's just a shame I can only pick 3! :'(

So after A LOT and A LOT of thinking and reading over and over again, I've finally come to a decision for the 3 winners. But all of them were brilliant, so please don't feel offended or anything if you are the unlucky person who's not picked.

Anyways, here's the three winners...

place goes to Darthelvis - your take on the comp with a song was very innovative! Plus I really luved your script too, I'll never look at those zombies quiet the same again.

we have Pedromonkey - both his stories were excellent and I really enjoyed all the little references.

place goes to Roughale - very very good piece! All of the little details you put in there were brilliant, especially the rat bit - added a lot to the mood.

Sorry, Gigantor. No hard feelings eh, mate? It was incredibly close! And picking the two kid zombies was brilliant! Nice and disturbing! Unfortionatly, I could only pick three!

Roughale, would you mind PMing me an address you'd like your prize sent to please?

New comp'll be up in a mo.

Kyle

Like this? Share it using the links below!