Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Sci-Fi & Fantasy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   Blade Runner - Is It Overrated (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/sci-fi-fantasy/10247-blade-runner-overrated.html)

Rik 10th May 2017 09:44 AM

It's left ambiguous in the theatrical cut, but in the final and director's cut, it's pretty obvious he is a replicant

J Harker 10th May 2017 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 532695)
It's left ambiguous in the theatrical cut, but in the final and director's cut, it's pretty obvious he is a replicant

It was the final cut I watched a few weeks back. Its definitely implied but I really didn't see it as obvious. Why is he so weak compared to the others? As for the beatings he receives, it's a movie. Indiana Jones regularly survives things that should kill him.

Rik 10th May 2017 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 532696)
It was the final cut I watched a few weeks back. Its definitely implied but I really didn't see it as obvious. Why is he so weak compared to the others? As for the beatings he receives, it's a movie. Indiana Jones regularly survives things that should kill him.

It's been a while since I watched it, but I remember thinking it was obvious the first time I watched the Final Cut, sadly I can't quite remember why :lol:

I think I'll give it a watch tonight and make some notes :nod:

SymbioticFunction 10th May 2017 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 532694)
I don't see how Deckard can be a replicant if he's in this new movie and a lot older.

I think he's supposed to be a Nexus 7 with unlimited lifespan rather than just four years. Could be wrong though.

The biggest clue that Deckard is a replicant is his unicorn dream. Gaff makes a origami unicorn at one point, which implies that his dreams or memories are known to them.

sjconstable 10th May 2017 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction (Post 532724)
I think he's supposed to be a Nexus 7 with unlimited lifespan rather than just four years. Could be wrong though.

The biggest clue that Deckard is a replicant is his unicorn dream. Gaff makes a origami unicorn at one point, which implies that his dreams or memories are known to them.

And the fact that in one shot we see his eyes reflect light like a replicant's and the music goes all mysterious/sinister.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 10th May 2017 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 532644)
Of course he is! Just like Rachel, he has a longer lifespan than the rest. They'll probably explain in the new film that they age just like humans, and I expect they'll tell us what happened to her too.

Which is why I said he's a Duracell replicant.;)

I reckon Gosling will be manufactured by the Tyrell corp as well.....

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 10th May 2017 05:18 PM

This video explains the reasons why Deckard could be/is a replicant very well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bBoM0szJS8

I personally think he is one because of the unicorn and Gaff's line "It's a shame she won't live – but then again, who does?" This is the second time the line has been heard, but the second time reinforces (to the audience) Deckard's realisation that he, like Rachel, is a replicant with implanted memories.

bioshark 30th July 2017 12:28 PM

I can understand the movie seems slow if you were expecting something along the lines of star wars. It's more of a film noir than an action movie however. Just like with 2001: a space odyssey there are no loud explosions every 5 minutes, but it has a mysterious fascinating quality. When you enjoy what is happening other than action the place isn't that slow.

Demoncrat 30th July 2017 10:58 PM

Making the rather more metaphysically obsessed Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? into a detective story works well enough for me. ;)
I've shown civilians the DC and theyve been able to follow the plot as well ;)

Any film that stands the test of time attracts detractors. Tis the nature of the beast.
Take The Godfather for example. Cthulhu it's dull. :laugh:

bleakshaun 31st July 2017 02:16 PM

I tried rereading do androids dream of electric sheep. I find it so hard to get into

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk