All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1966Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st September 2023, 08:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I didn't know there was a remake of The Blob!

As it stars Kevin Dillon and Shawnee Smith, it's bound to be worth watching.
Remakes are a hit or miss but this is certainly a hit.
Old 1st September 2023, 08:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Dredd. 2012.

Graphic and doesn't leave a bad taste in your mouth like the 90s version and our main character relies on intuition rather than being in control of situations and having a high endless amount of bullets. Karl Urban goes up against Ma Ma clan leader Lena Headey in a tower block full of bad guys out to take out Dredd and rookie judge Olivia Thirlby. Right from the start, post apocalyptic scenario and how ruthless Dredd is and has no companssion except following the rules with some mild not over the top humour.

p9128607_p_v8_ac.jpg
Old 1st September 2023, 10:35 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Whats on your watchpile Dem?
These. I won't be watching them all but there's a few to go at.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1127 (Large).jpg (99.0 KB, 31 views)
Old 1st September 2023, 11:40 PM
Cult Master

I love The Blob remake it's great fun and the effects are brilliant plus Kevin Dillions mullet should be in a museum because it's a work of art

The umbrella Blu Ray actually looks amazing so vibrant.
Old 1st September 2023, 11:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quartermas 2. 1957.

Brian Donley returns as Quartmass, who is trying to gather a colony for Mars and metorites crashing in a small village.

This science fiction thriller grabs your attention from the first scene where a young couple are driving fairly wildly; something is clearly wrong with the man who has a mark on his face after touching some strange rocks. Despite being an old film this looked good as it was filmed at a real chemical works rather than using fake looking models, the only effect that looked poor by today's standards but back then they probably did work. Sequels don't really match up to the previous film but this was actually better than i expected ot to be.

MV5BNzA5N2JlYTQtOWVmMC00OTI2LWI2MjEtMmQ1ZDkxYTk2Yjk1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjE5MjUyOTM@._V1_.jpg
Old 2nd September 2023, 12:58 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Prometheus (2012)

In only his second 'Alien' venture Ridley Scott returns to his old stamping ground, the planet LV-223, first seen in his original Alien.

I really enjoyed Prometheus once again. I found it intelligent, occassionally creepy and often quite compelling. Michael Fassbender's android was the star of the show but he has serious competition from Noomi Rapace. The sequence where she removes the alien parasite from her abdomen is an icky body horror treat.

Visually the film is superb. Both the planet and the crashed space craft are brilliantly realized. It was good to delve into some of the hows and why's of Giger's imagery from the very first film and find out a little about them.

Despite having a central theme of creation i didn't feel the film got bogged down with it, nor did it irritate me. The film also asked a lot of questions it didn't bother to answer but again i was enjoying the ride and this also wasn't as irritating as it could be on a second viewing perhaps.

As for the very last scene - it's what we waited for all along
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6a00d8341c2b7953ef0168eb695541970c-550wi.jpg (74.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 2nd September 2023, 08:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

InnerSpace. 1987.

Director Joe Dante and Producer Steven Spielberg team up again from Gremlins for this comedy caper that is almost like Fantastic Voyage, this time Martin Short is the hapless hypochondriac who is accidentally injected with Dennis Quaid in a pod who was supposed to be in a lab rabbit.

Dante strings together some terrific set pieces, while the realisation of the inside of the human body is smartly staged. Cast are on hugely engaging form, with the central relationship between Quaid and Short a pure joy and mined for constant laugh. The dual comedy is handled by Dante and the writers is on spot with good toming, and with the battle within Jack's body running concurrently with Jack's battles out in the real world dealing with stress and face alternation experience.

innerspace.jpg
Old 2nd September 2023, 10:51 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
These. I won't be watching them all but there's a few to go at.

Well there's nary a bad one amongst that little lot, although I haven't seen Picard...

Enjoy...
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 3rd September 2023, 11:45 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
Well there's nary a bad one amongst that little lot, although I haven't seen Picard...

Enjoy...
It's not the Picard series. It's a set of all his Trek films that was released exclusively newly restored by Amazon to cash in on the first series of Picard starting.

It features the double episodes The Best of Both Worlds and Chain of Command and the films Generations, First Contact, Insurrection and Nemesis.

To watch are First Contact, Insurrection and Nemesis.
Rob4 likes this.
Old 3rd September 2023, 01:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The 5,000 Fingers Of Dr. T. 1953.

A young boy forced to take piano lessons dreams of a world where his teacher is a evil tyrant who has built a grand piano that needs 500 young boys to play it.

This is one of Dr. Suess forgotten films that has a great villain in Hans Conried as the Dr. Terwilliker who demands perfection with the piano and his students. Tommy Rettig plays young Bart who is under the control of the music teacher at home and tries to be the hero wirh friend and plumber Peter Lind Hayes who tries to save Bart's mother Mary Healy from Dr. T. With the set designs it's easy to forget that this film was made in the 50s, with the visual effects created and used especially with the young hero climbing a curved red ladder. The acting is on top notch with great cinematography and good direction used all the way through right to the end. A great classic film.

image (1).jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!