LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd September 2023, 01:45 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The 5,000 Fingers Of Dr. T. 1953.

A young boy forced to take piano lessons dreams of a world where his teacher is a evil tyrant who has built a grand piano that needs 500 young boys to play it.

This is one of Dr. Suess forgotten films that has a great villain in Hans Conried as the Dr. Terwilliker who demands perfection with the piano and his students. Tommy Rettig plays young Bart who is under the control of the music teacher at home and tries to be the hero wirh friend and plumber Peter Lind Hayes who tries to save Bart's mother Mary Healy from Dr. T. With the set designs it's easy to forget that this film was made in the 50s, with the visual effects created and used especially with the young hero climbing a curved red ladder. The acting is on top notch with great cinematography and good direction used all the way through right to the end. A great classic film.

Attachment 247735
Indicator released this on Blu-ray. To be honest i don't really fancy it.

I have a mate who really likes it though.
Susan Foreman and MrBarlow like this.
Old 3rd September 2023, 02:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Indicator released this on Blu-ray. To be honest i don't really fancy it.

I have a mate who really likes it though.
This is the second time seeing it and found it more enjoyable this time round.
Demoncrat and Susan Foreman like this.
Old 3rd September 2023, 02:39 PM
Cult Master

If you are in the mood for something extremely surreal, 'The 5,000 Fingers Of Dr. T' is highly recommended

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 3rd September 2023, 02:50 PM
Cult Veteran

I'm late to the discussion but the 80's remake of The Blob is amazing, I actually watched it for an October horror marathon one year rather than a Sci-Fi one. Keep meaning to buy a bluray of it, the German one is often around a tenner.
MrBarlow likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 3rd September 2023, 03:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I'm late to the discussion but the 80's remake of The Blob is amazing, I actually watched it for an October horror marathon one year rather than a Sci-Fi one. Keep meaning to buy a bluray of it, the German one is often around a tenner.
I flipped a coin for either September or October watch for the film
Justin101 likes this.
Old 3rd September 2023, 03:09 PM
Cult Addict

For some reason I always find the original "The Blob" a bit naff, despite loving 50's sci-fi films, i think maybe it is to do with me seeing the remake first when it hit VHS.
The remake is really good with some nice gloopy death scenes.

On a side note a couple of weeks ago I watched "Beware! the Blob" a 1970's sequel directed by J.R from Dallas, Larry Hagman.
I quite enjoyed it although the tone is a weird semi comedy, it's a bit naff but entertaining at the same time.

kidykeccxugb1.jpg

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 3rd September 2023, 08:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Tron: Legacy. 2010.

I still think that the 1982 film is a classic with the stylish visual effects that were used and Jeff Bridges being a great star cast across from David Warner. In this with the small screen time he is still amazing. Garrett Hedlund is good as Sam Flynn who is sucked into the game and becomes a 'User' and plays the games. The visual effects are on par with the previous film and more energetic but for me the plot does slide a bit in the middle then goes back on the straight amd narrow.

p_tronlegacy_19298_7b1ec957.jpg
Old 3rd September 2023, 09:24 PM
Cult Veteran

The soundtrack by Daft Punk is amazing!
I've listened to the CD way more than I watched the film itself
MrBarlow likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 4th September 2023, 03:37 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Flight Of The Navigator. 1986.

Director Randal Kleiser keeps the involving and hugely entertaining story whisking along at a brisk pace, brings an engaging feeling of genuine awe and wonder to the captivating premise. Joey Cramer plays the young David who re-appears 7 years later after disappearing and hasn't aged and a crash landed spaceship. Paul Reubens as the voice of Max is a good call the makers who are able to incorporate good humour and decent visual and creature effects. Enjoyable back then in the old days and still enjoyable now.

flightNAV_DVD_2D_hiRes_1527x.jpg
Old 4th September 2023, 06:53 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Super 8 (2011)

Set in 1979, a group of teenagers are filming their own super 8 zombie movie for a competition when their camera inadvertently films a train derailment. As if that's not bad enough something is clearly not right when the US Air Force take over the small town and are searching for both the car the teens drove as well as something else...

From producer Steven Spielberg and director JJ Abrams, Super 8 is a terrific blockbuster that has a genuine earthy excitement to it that few fantasy blockbusters manage nowadays. A tank crushing all before it in a children's playground has more resonance and impact than the biggest planet destroying explosion in other films. This feels like a movie from the eighties in that respect and it's all the better for it.

The kids lead by Joel Courtney and Elle Fanning are all terrific and have well thought out roles and characters giving their performances genuine emotional depth as though straight out of the best classic Stephen King novels.

I've had this Blu-ray knocking about for well over a year, had i known how good it was that would never have been the case. A special mention for the 7:1 soundtrack. From the huge train crash to the tiniest murmur, it's absolutely incredible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Super_8_Poster.jpg (9.0 KB, 2 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!