Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd October 2019, 09:04 PM
Cult Acolyte

Terror of the Vervoids Special Edition. Otherwise known as "the one with no Trial", the SE simply presents Vervoids as a standard four part story in its own right, purged of the Trial format. And it pretty much works. Don't get me wrong, no one is ever going to accuse Vervoids of being a great story, and even the nice CG effects can't disguise the cheapness of the production and the laughability of the monsters, but at least without the interminable Trial scenes it zips along at a fair old pace and is a bit of ropey but amusing fun and you can actually enjoy it away from the drag factor of the rest of that awful season. You also realise that Pip and Jane pretty much throw the kitchen sink in, with a race of killer plant men, a murder mystery with a human killer and then in the last episode they chuck in an otherwise unrelated hijack plot just for the hell of it! It's rather jolly in this form, and I will almost certainly watch it in this way again. The PQ is again an improvement on Blu, I know it's only upscaled because it's videotape, but it does look sharper and the colours more vivid.
Old 23rd October 2019, 11:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Noted!

Am digging out Horror Of Fang Rock for Halloween. So am revisiting the other Terror in the canon as it frightens me still a bit
Demdike@Cult Labs and iank like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 24th October 2019, 05:47 AM
Cult Master

Filming 'The Enemy Of The World'

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 24th October 2019, 05:52 AM
Cult Master

Doctor Who over the years: Episode quotes
The Power Of Three
Amy [OC]: Life with the Doctor was like this. (Lots of flashes of action clips.) Real life was like this.
Woman [answerphone]: It's Lane's Opticians. Just reminding you your reading glasses are ready for collection. Bye!
Amy: Milk two months out of date. Yogurt. (It smells and looks so bad she drops it.) Eek! Don't ask.
Rory: We've run out of washing tablets.

Rory: We have two lives. Real life and Doctor life. Except real life doesn't get much of a look in.
Amy: What do we do?
Rory: Choose?
(The sound of a Tardis materialising.)
Amy: Not today, though.
Rory: Nah, not today.
Amy [OC]: Every time we flew away with the Doctor, we'd just become part of his life. But he never stood still long enough to become part of ours. Except once. The year of the slow invasion. The time the Doctor came to stay.

The Doctor: Right, I need to use your kitchen as a lab. Cook up some cubes. See what happens.
Rory: Right, I'm due at work.
The Doctor: What? You've got a job?
Rory: Of course I've got a job. What do you think we do when we're not with you?
The Doctor: I imagined mostly kissing.
Amy: I write travel articles for magazines and Rory heals the sick.

Rory: There are soldiers all over my house, and I'm in my pants.
Amy: My whole life I've dreamed of saying that, and I miss it by being someone else.
(A woman enters the house.)
Kate: All these muscles, and they still don't know how to knock. Sorry about the raucous entrance. Spike in Artron energy reading at this address. In the light of the last twenty four hours, we had to check it out, and the dogs do love a run out. Hello. Kate Stewart, head of scientific research at UNIT. And with dress sense like that...(She holds out a scanner, which shows two hearts beating in his chest.) You must be the Doctor. I hoped it would be you.
The Doctor: Tell me, since when did science run the military, Kate?
Kate: Since me. UNIT's been adapting. Well, I dragged them along, kicking and screaming, which made it sound like more fun than it actually was.

The Doctor: I've run restaurants. Who do you think invented the Yorkshire pudding?
Rory: You didn't.
The Doctor: Pudding, yet savoury. Sound familiar?

Amy: Secret base beneath the Tower. Hope we're not here because we know too much.
Kate: Yes, I've got officers trained in beheading. Also ravens of death.
Amy: I like her.
MrBarlow likes this.

Old 24th October 2019, 09:38 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 201

Feifei Ruan's Doctor Who art shows the TARDIS in classical Chinese landscapes in a gorgeous promo push for the Chinese market earlier this year.

Old 24th October 2019, 12:59 PM
Cult Master

Daleks outside the London Planetarium on August 20th, 1964 as part of the promotion for 'The Dalek Invasion of Earth'

Old 24th October 2019, 01:03 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The woman carrying the bag...what exactly is she doing to that Dalek eye stalk?
Demoncrat and will graham like this.
Old 25th October 2019, 05:42 AM
Cult Master

On a Soviet Cultural Mission to Britain in 1966, Nadezhda Volchenko, the Deputy Chief of the Soviet Star Film Industry Committee, visited Shepperton Studios to see the completion of filming for ‘Daleks invasion of Earth 2150AD’

Old 25th October 2019, 05:55 AM
Cult Master

Just released on Steelbox Blu-Ray Doctor Who: The Specials - available from Amazon UK for £24.99

"Product Description

This Complete Specials includes all the Doctor Who Specials from 2009 starring David Tennant - The Next Doctor, Planet of the Dead, Waters Of Mars, The End of the time, part one and The End of the time, part two. It also includes the following special features: Commentary with Cast & Crew, Deleted Scenes, Exclusive David Tennant Video Diary, Doctor Who Confidential, Doctor who at the Proms, Doctor who at Comic Con and more.

This limited edition Steelbook also features a bonus disc including two animated episodes Dreamland and The Infinite Quest.

Dreamland
Dreamland sees the iconic TARDIS touch down in the desert in the USA. Stumbling across a mysterious alien artefact in a local diner, the Doctor is led to Area 51, also known as Dreamland, the US’ most secret base. He then finds himself on a momentous mission to rescue Rivesh Mantilax from the threat of the ruthless Viperox and the clutches of the American military. Created in eye-catching high-definition 3-D animation, the series sees the Doctor, played by David Tennant, hook up with two new companions - Cassie and Jimmy - and pits him against a new alien race, the monstrous Viperox, led by Lord Azlok.

The Infinite Quest
Based on the brilliant and popular series, The Infinite Quest sees the Doctor and his companion Martha step into a new dimension - a cartoon one. The pair set off on an animated adventure through space following a trail of clues across wild and wonderful alien worlds, to find the location of the legendary lost spaceship, the Infinite. However, the evil space pirate Baltazar is also searching for the ship, believing it will grant him his dearest wish - a means to destroy Earth and rule the galaxy. With spectacular animation, this vibrant cartoon is as gripping as any usual episode of Doctor Who."

MrBarlow likes this.

Old 25th October 2019, 06:03 AM
Cult Master

Doctor Who over the years: Episode quotes
The Angels Take Manhattan
The Doctor: I always rip out the last page of a book. Then it doesn't have to end. I hate endings.

Rory: I always wanted to visit the Statue Of Liberty. I guess she got impatient.
(Rory runs to the opposite edge, behind Amy's back.)
Amy: What? What is it, what?
Rory: Just keep your eyes on that.
Amy: Is there a way down?
Rory: Er, no. But there's a way out.
(Rory climbs up onto the ledge.)
Amy: What are you doing? Rory, what are you doing? (Amy turns around and goes to him.) Rory, stop it. You'll die.
Rory: Yeah, twice, in the same building on the same night. Who else could do that?
Amy: Just come down, please.
Rory: This is the right thing to do. This will work. If I die now, it's a paradox, right? The paradox kills the Angels. Tell me I'm wrong. Go on, please, because I'm really scared. Oh, great. The one time you can't manage it. Amy, I'm going to need a little help here.
(Rory takes Amy's hand and puts it on his chest.)
Amy: Just stop it!
Rory: Just think it through. This will work, this will kill the Angels.
Amy: It'll kill you too.
Rory: Will it? River said that this place would be erased from time, never existed. If this place never existed, what did I fall off?
Amy: You think you'll come back to life?
Rory: When don't I?
Amy: Rory.
Rory: And anyway, what else is there? Dying of old age downstairs, never seeing you again? Amy, please. If you love me, then trust me, and push.
Amy: I can't.
Rory: You have to!
Amy: Could you? If it was me, could you do it?
Rory: To save you, I'd do anything.
(Amy gets up on the ledge next to Rory.)
Amy: Prove it.
Rory: No, I can't take you too.
Amy: You said we'd come back to life. Money where your mouth is time.
Rory: Amy, look.
Amy: Shut up. Together, or not at all.
(The Doctor and River arrive via the fire escape.)
The Doctor: What the hell are you doing!
Amy: Changing the future. It's called marriage.
(Gazing into each others eyes, Amy and Rory fall off Winter Quay.)
The Doctor: Amy! Amy!
(Balls of energy gather and flicker around the roof.)
River: Doctor! What's happening?
The Doctor: The paradox. It's working! The paradox is working!
(Whiteout.)
[Graveyard]
(Rory and Amy sit up.)
Rory: Where are we?
The Doctor: Back where we started. You collapsed the timeline. The paradox worked. We all pinged back where we belong.
Rory: What, in a graveyard?
Amy: This happened the last time. Why always here?
The Doctor: Does it matter? We got lucky. We could've blown New York off the planet. I can't ever take the Tardis back there. The timelines are too scrambled. I could have lost you both. Don't ever do that again.
Rory: What did we do? We fixed it. We solved the problem.
The Doctor: I was talking to myself.
(The Tardis has a bit of fire extinguisher damage. River appears from behind it with a bucket of water and a rag.)
River: It could do with a repaint.
The Doctor: I've been busy.
River: Does the bulb on top need changing?
The Doctor: I just changed it.
River: So. Rory and Amy, then.
The Doctor: Yes. I know, I know.
River: I'm just saying. They're going to get terribly bored hanging round here all day.
Rory: Doctor.
The Doctor: Ha!
Rory: Look, next time, could we could just go to the pub?
The Doctor: I want go to the pub right now. Are there video games there? I love video games.
River: Right. Family outing, then.
(The Doctor and River go into the Tardis. Rory hangs back.)
Rory: Amy, come and see this.
Amy: What?
Rory: There's a gravestone here for someone with the same name as me.
Amy: What? (Rory vanishes. There was an Angel behind him.) Doctor!
(The Doctor and River run out of the Tardis.)
River: Where the hell did that come from?
The Doctor: It's a survivor. Very weak, but keep your eyes on it.
Amy: Where's Rory?
(The Doctor sees Rory's gravestone - aged 82.)
The Doctor: I'm sorry. Amelia, I'm so, so sorry.
Amy: No. No, we can just go and get him in the Tardis. One more paradox.
The Doctor: Would rip New York apart.
Amy: No, that's not true. I don't believe you.
River: Mother, it's true.
The Doctor: Amy, what are you doing?
Amy: That gravestone, Rory's, there's room for one more name, isn't there?
The Doctor: What are you talking about? Back away from the Angel. Come back to the Tardis. We'll figure something out.
Amy: The Angel, would it send me back to the same time? To him?
The Doctor: I don't know. Nobody knows.
Amy: But it's my best shot, yeah?
The Doctor: No!
River: Doctor, shut up. Yes. Yes, it is.
The Doctor: Amy.
Amy: Well, then. I just have to blink, right?
Amy: It'll be fine. I know it will. I'll be with him, like I should be. Me and Rory together. Melody?
The Doctor: Stop it. Just, just stop it!
(River takes Amy's hand and kisses it.)
Amy: You look after him. You be a good girl, and you look after him.
The Doctor: You are creating fixed time. I will never be able to see you again.
Amy: I'll be fine. I'll be with him.
The Doctor: Amy, please, just come back into the Tardis. Come along, Pond, please.
Amy: Raggedy man, goodbye!
(Amy turns her back on the Angel, and vanishes. Rory's gravestone gains more words - And His Loving Wife Amelia Williams aged 87.)

Amy [OC]: Hello, old friend. And here we are, you and me, on the last page. By the time you read these words, Rory and I will be long gone. So know that we lived well, and were very happy. And above all else, know that we will love you always. Sometimes I do worry about you, though. I think once we're gone, you won't be coming back here for a while, and you might be alone, which you should never be. Don't be alone, Doctor. And do one more thing for me. There's a little girl waiting in a garden. She's going to wait a long while, so she's going to need a lot of hope. Go to her. Tell her a story. Tell her that if she's patient, the days are coming that she'll never forget. Tell her she'll go to sea and fight pirates. She'll fall in love with a man who'll wait two thousand years to keep her safe. Tell her she'll give hope to the greatest painter who ever lived and save a whale in outer space. Tell her this is the story of Amelia Pond. And this how it ends.

Like this? Share it using the links below!