Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28504Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd October 2012, 09:00 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I don't think they have a problem with directors, its the writers.
Old 5th October 2012, 06:45 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Obviously very excited about having the "real Cybermen" back especially done by Gaiman. Everyone on here knows I detested the RTD version.

Nice to see the Looper director interested..bet he'd actually come over and do it instead of sitting on his throne and wanting them to come to him like Jackson is doing.
Old 7th October 2012, 04:28 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Just been printing some covers from galactical.co.uk where a guy's made custom covers for every classic series DVD in the style of the old VHS releases
Michael's Retro DVD Covers - Page 1

Don't get me wrong, I do like most of the classic series DVD covers but when you look at them them side by side, the old painted ones do look far superior:

Old 7th October 2012, 07:42 PM
Cult Acolyte

To be honest, I've never really liked the UK Who dvd covers. Anyone remember this gem?

41DKBSJ2GHL.jpg

I much prefer the US editions:

81kJm37dVYL__AA1500_.jpg
Old 7th October 2012, 07:47 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEyeTheCylon View Post
Just been printing some covers from galactical.co.uk where a guy's made custom covers for every classic series DVD in the style of the old VHS releases
Michael's Retro DVD Covers - Page 1

Don't get me wrong, I do like most of the classic series DVD covers but when you look at them them side by side, the old painted ones do look far superior:

I only have a few Doctor Who vhs nowadays, but have kept every vhs cover from the tapes i ditched. The very first ones are awful but the artwork ones are in a lot of cases excellent.

The dvd's i really like. Its the way they smell i think.
RedEyeTheCylon likes this.

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 7th October 2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old 7th October 2012, 07:55 PM
Cult Acolyte

The newer UK ones have got better. By the way, why do they have ( completely identical ) reversable covers?
Old 7th October 2012, 07:59 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
The newer UK ones have got better. By the way, why do they have ( completely identical ) reversable covers?
The info parts under the synopsis are different colours. White on one side, grey the other. I always change them over as i prefer the white sides.

As for why they do this....
Old 7th October 2012, 08:10 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
The info parts under the synopsis are different colours. White on one side, grey the other. I always change them over as i prefer the white sides.

As for why they do this....
Also just noticed the BBC DVD logo is different too - maybe to match the older releases? I would have preferred a proper 'alternative'!

Anyway, must dash - it's time to start watching The Ambassadors Of Death
Old 7th October 2012, 08:40 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
To be honest, I've never really liked the UK Who dvd covers. Anyone remember this gem?
I much prefer the US editions:
The region 1 template is alot better, there's much more space for the artwork on the front. Although I do like the design of the spine more on the region 2 template as it stands out on the shelf and makes them look uniform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
I only have a few Doctor Who vhs nowadays, but have kept every vhs cover from the tapes i ditched. The very first ones are awful but the artwork ones are in a lot of cases excellent.

The dvd's i really like. Its the way they smell i think.
Yeah they do look dodgy, particularly the first Revenge of the Cybermen cover but you've got to let them off a bit as it was only the early days. I do have a soft spot for the Day of the Daleks cover, that VHS was responsible for making me fan of Doctor Who so the cover, with the incorrect title and Daleks flipped the wrong way, will always be special
Old 9th October 2012, 09:32 AM
Cult Acolyte

Finished watching The Ambassadors Of Death last night. A nice twist on the alien invasion theme, this is a hugely enjoyable story and even more so when you learn how it was all cobbled together!

Lots of stunts, car chases, fights, explosions etc from the 'Havoc' crew, as well as some wonderfully eerie shots of the alien 'Ambassadors' accompanied by an equally eerie soundtrack.

The first episode is pristine quality, the remainder is a slight dip in quality, but it still looks the best it has ever been. And on top of that it has the best opening title sequences ever.

And to think this is supposed to be the 'weak link' in season seven. There are NO weak links in season seven! Buy it now!

Like this? Share it using the links below!