Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28672Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th January 2021, 06:02 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Just thought i'd leave this here.

Benediction - Progenitors of a New Paradigm

Scriptures (2020)

Sample lyrics

Progenitors awaken
New paradigm now to behold
Purebred creations
To exterminate
Recreate the species
To stand alone
Now to face the bronze
To regain their throne
Raging across history
War's aftermath in time
Exterminate, annihilate, destroy
Strategists eternal
The alien elite

I wonder what it could be about?
Old 17th January 2021, 05:50 AM
Cult Master

Who: Before And After #285
Name: John Abineri
Year(s): 1968 / 1970 / 1974 / 1978-1979
Stories: Fury From The Deep episode 1 - Fury From The Deep episode 4 / The Ambassadors Of Death episode 1 - The Ambassadors Of Death episode 7 / Death To The Daleks episode 1 - Death To The Daleks episode 4 / The Power Of Kroll part 1 - The Power Of Kroll part 4
Character(s): Van Lutyens / General Carrington / Richard Railton / Ranquin

Before Who:
Films - The White Trap* (1959), The House of Mystery (1961), The Password is Courage (1962), Operation Crossbow* (1965), Funeral in Berlin (1966), The Assassination Bureau (1968)

Television: The Children of the New Forest [4 episodes as Oswald] / The Third Man: A Box of Eyes / Formula for Danger [5 episodes as Malovicz] / No Hiding Place: Victim of the Dark / International Detective: The Bismarck Case / The Racketty Street Gang [6 episodes as Stephan Smertzer] / Studio 4: Stamboul Train / Crying Down the Lane [2 episodes as Frankie] / ITV Play of the Week: For King and Country #3: Tunnel Trench / Emergency Ward-10 [11 episodes as Mario (1963-1967) / Espionage: A Free Agent / Triangle (5 episodes) / The Wednesday Play: The July Plot / Theatre 625: The World of George Orwell: 1984 / Out of the Unknown: Thirteen to Centaurus* / The Baron: Enemy of the State* / The Rat Catchers [4 episodes as Captain Maldonado] / Orlando [5 episodes as Jingles Partridge] / Driveway [3 episodes as Simon Morris]

After Who:
Films - Attack on the Iron Coast (1968), The McKenzie Break* (1970), Diamonds Are Forever* (1971), The Undercovers Hero (1975), Jamaica Inn (1983), Maigret (1988), Around The World In 80 Days (1989), The Godfather Part 3 (1990), Death Train (1993), Giorgino (1994)

Television - Counterstrike: Nocturne / Special Branch: The Children of Delight / Pegasus [3 episodes as Louis Rene Lavassoir Latouche] / Sexton Blake: Sexton Blake and the Toy Family: Part 1 - The Highest Price / Paul Temple: Steal a Little Happiness / Armchair Theatre: The Dolly Scene / The Last of the Mohicans [8 episodes as Chingachgook] / The Witch's Daughter [5 episodes as Smith] / Spy Trap [4 episodes as Nicholas Bratiano] / Callan: If He Can, So Could I / The Strauss Family [2 episodes as Spina] / General Hospital [4 episodes as Cyril White] / Hawkeye, the Pathfinder [4 episodes as Chingachgook] / Thriller: Good Salary - Prospects - Free Coffin* / The Legend of Robin Hood [5 episodes as Sir Kenneth Neston] / Crown Court: Humpty Dumpty Sat on the Wall / Survivors [17 episodes as Hubert Goss (1976-1977)] / Gangsters: Incident Six / The Moon Stallion (6 episodes as Sir George Mortenhurze] / Secret Army: Prisoner of War / Blake's 7: Hostage / BBC Shakespeare: Henry V / Emmerdale Farm [7 episodes as Jesse Gillin] / Into the Labyrinth: Revolution / Tom, Dick and Harriet: Where There's a Will / Play of the Month: The White Guard / Robin of Sherwood [18 episodes as Herne the Hunter (1984-1986)] / Screen Two: Unfair Exchanges / Screen Two: The Burston Rebellion / Maelstrom [2 episodes as Olav Tunheim] / Fighting Back [3 episodes] / Red Dwarf: Better Than Life* / Minder: Fatal Impression / Bergerac: Entente Cordiale / Wycliffe: All for Love

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 17th January 2021, 03:04 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 646

The Doctor (William Hartnell) and a partially hidden Susan (Carole Ann Ford) meet The Sensorites in the 1964 story of the same name.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg FeatImg-Ep285 (Large).jpg (58.8 KB, 56 views)
Old 18th January 2021, 05:29 AM
Cult Master

Who: Before And After #286a
Name: Richard Mayes
Year(s): 1968
Stories: Fury From The Deep episode 1, Fury From The Deep episode 4
Character(s): Baxter

Before Who:
Films: None
Television: Philoctetes [2 episodes as sailor] / A for Andromeda: The Murderer / The Plane Makers: You Can't Beat the System

After Who:
Films - Gandhi (1982), Top Secret!* (1984)

Television - Wings [3 episodes as The General] / A Bunch of Fives [11 episodes as Mr. Oakley] / Tycoon [4 episodes as Tom Vyner] / The Bill: 189: Forgiveness / Doctors: A Soft Touch / Waking the Dead: In Sight of the Lord
Who: Before And After #286b
Name: Bill Burridge
Stories: Fury From The Deep episode 1 - Fury From The Deep episode 5
Character(s): Mr Quill
NOTE: Also appeared in uncredited roles in The Romans (Guard & Gladiator), The Savages (Savage), The Underwater Menace (Executioner Priest), The Daemons (Villager & Coven Member), Frontier in Space (Draconian Guard at Embassy)

Before Who:
Television: Flower of Evil: 1. The Treasure of the Lake / Frontier Drums [6 episodes as Akbar] / The Sunday Drama: The Paper Man / Emergency-Ward 10: Shadow of a Clown / The Wednesday Play: An Officer of the Court

After Who:
Films - None
Television - Curry & Chips [3 episodes as Workman] / Doomwatch: Hear No Evil / Callan: That'll Be the Day / Doomwatch: Flood / Upstairs, Downstairs: The New Man /

Old 18th January 2021, 12:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 647

Clara, (Jenna Coleman) alone in Diagon, 'er Trap Street, in Face the Raven (2015)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg p038771d.jpg (89.4 KB, 41 views)
Old 19th January 2021, 04:40 AM
Cult Master

Who: Before And After #287
Name: John Gill
Stories: Fury From The Deep episode 2 - Fury From The Deep episode 5
Character(s): Mr. Oak

Before Who:
Films: This Sporting Life* (1963), Night Must Fall (1964), Privilege (1967)

Television: The Davy Jones Saga [5 episodes as Morgan the Keeper] / Barnaby Rudge [4 episodes as Solomon Daisy] / The World of Tim Frazer [2 episodes as Warden] / BBC Plays: St. Patrick's Day - The Scheming Lieutenant / You Can't Win: The One That Got Away / BBC Plays: A Wedding / Z Cars: The Limping Rabbit / Barbara in Black [6 episodes as Brachet] / The Avengers: Propellant 23* / William: William goes Shopping / Richard the Lionheart: The Crown Jewels / The Saint: The Well Meaning Mayor / Dixon of Dock Green: Missing / Tempo: Wooings and Weddings / Swizzlewick [18 episodes as Fidgett] / The Londoners: A Little Touch of Henry / Softly Softly: The Misinformer / The Newcomers [5 episodes as Bill Fletcher] / The Baron: The Killing* / Quick Before They Catch Us [5 episodes as Magnus] / The Government Inspector [3 episodes as Headmaster] / Hobson's Choice [3 episodes as Tubby Wadlow] / Z Cars: It Was Doing Nothing

After Who:
Films: Something for Everyone (1970), Zeppelin (1971), Father Dear Father (1972), Convoy (1978), Tess (1979), The Whistle Blower (1986), After Pilkington (1986), The Pirates (1986), The Land Girls (1997)
Television - Nicholas Nickleby [4 episodes as Ned Cheeryble] / Middlemarch [2 episodes as Dr. Sprague] / Paul Temple: Right Villain / Public Eye: The Bankrupt / Z Cars: Diabolical Liberty / Sporting Scenes: Up and Under / Special Branch: Double Exposure / Churchill's People: On the Anvil / Backs to the Land: Rainbow Around My Neck / Tales of The Unexpected: Proof of Guilt / The Life and Times of David Lloyd George [2 episodes as Lord Curzon] / Sherlock Holmes: The Speckled Band / Screen Two: After Pilkington / All Creatures Great and Small [2 episodes as Arnie Braithwaite] / Sherlock Holmes: The Three Gables / Ruth Rendell Mysteries: Vanity Dies Hard / Crime Traveller: The Revenge Of The Chronology Protection Hypothesi

Old 19th January 2021, 02:15 PM
Cult Acolyte

Amazon are listing March 8th as the release date for season 8 Blu Ray box set.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 19th January 2021, 02:50 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 648

The Doctor (Matt Smith) discovers the Pandorica in The Pandorica Opens / The Big Bang (2010)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg who0512a (Medium).jpg (29.6 KB, 30 views)
Old 20th January 2021, 05:26 AM
Cult Master

Who: Before And After #288a
Name: Margaret John
Year(s): 1968 / 2006
Stories: Fury From The Deep episode 4 - Fury From The Deep episode 6 / The Idiot's Lantern
Character(s): Megan Jones / Grandma Connolly
NOTE: Holds the record for the longest gap — 38 years — between appearances in the television show. Also appeared as Grandma Connolly in the 'Tardisode 7' mini episode / prequel to 'The Idiot's Lantern'

Before Who:
Television: How Green Was My Valley [5 episodes as Bronwen] / Suspense: Souvenir / Suspense: The Edge of Reason / Suspense: The Rescuers / Badger's Bend [12 episodes as Aunt Madge] / Festival: Under Milk Wood / The Hidden Truth: The Final Analysis / Emergency-Ward 10 p4 episodes as Almoner] / Moulded in Earth [3 episodes as Mrs. Ellis] / Coronation Street [2 episodes as Mrs. Nathan] / Hereward the Wake [2 episodes as Judith] / Z Cars: When Did You Last See Your Father?

After Who:
Films: Steven (1974), International Velvet (1978), Sherlock Holmes and the Leading Lady* (1990), Sherlock Holmes: Incident at Victoria Falls (1991), B & B (1992), Elenya (1992), Run Fatboy Run (2007), A Bit of Tom Jones? (2009)

Television: The First Lady [8 episodes as Margaret Kingston] / Doomwatch: Friday's Child / Menace: The Straight and Narrow / The Challenger: The Tomorrow Business / Doomwatch: Waiting for a Knighthood / Dixon of Dock Green: Bust Up / Dead of Night: A Woman Sobbing / Seven of One: I'll Fly You for a Quid / The Protectors: Trial* / Crown Court: An Evil Influence / Play for Today: Joe's Ark / New Scotland Yard: A Year to Kill / Hunter's Walk: Charlie / Dixon of Dock Green: On a Moody Complaint / The Ghosts of Motley Hall: Old Gory / Last of the Summer Wine: Who Made a Bit of a Splash in Wales Then? / Blake's 7: The Way Back* / Crossroads [25 episodes as Marian Owen (1978-1980)] / A Horseman Riding By [2 episodes as Marian Eveleigh] / Emmerdale Farm [6 episodes as Maggie Fletcher] / The Boy Merlin [6 episodes as Blodwen] / Secret Army: Collaborator / The District Nurse [24 episodes as Gwen Harris] / Doctors: You Make Me Feel So Young / Eyes Down [15 episodes as Kay] / Tea and Biscuits with Maggie Pritchard [6 episodes as Maggie Pritchard] / The Mighty Boosh: Nanageddon / Little Britain / Doctors: Daylight Robbery / Gavin & Stacey [9 episodes as Doris O'Neill (2007-2010)] / Being Human / Doctors: Miss Pringle Investigates / Game of Thrones [2 episodes as Old Nan]
Who: Before And After #288b
Name: Brian Cullingford
Stories: Fury From The Deep episode 4 - Fury From The Deep episode 6
Character(s): Perkins
NOTE: Was married to Who actress June Murphy

Before Who:
Television: Comedy Playhouse: The Old Campaigner

After Who:
Television: Z Cars: The Witness / Out of the Unknown: Immortality Inc

Old 20th January 2021, 09:08 AM
Cult Master

A Life in the Day of Tom Baker’, taken from the Sunday Times Magazine dated March 19th, 1978

Text:

"You could say that yesterday was fairly typical of a day in my life when we're not recording Dr Who. I woke up at 5.15a.m. in a brown cork-lined room in Soho and then got into bed. But where am I ? I dreamt about a tall, thin woman, but who is she ? I suffer recurring images of tall skinny ladies. They look so good and really release all those fantasies. I woke up again and it was 6.10a.m. I got up and began the daily process of dragging my feet to their final destination at night. I was hit by terrible waves of anxiety. The feeling of loneliness that smacks of self-pity. I drank a glass of water and felt for a toothbrush wondering where on earth I was. If I'd had a radio I would have put it on but it's too early, of course, for Radio 3. The anxiety persisted and I thought suicide is the answer. I got out of bed and looked at some electrical flex. The ceiling was too low. How could I have hanged myself in a room only 5ft. loin. high ? I gave up the idea, found a radio and switched it on. I heard some news and my anxieties instantly increased. Then I took a sly bath and checked my pockets. I found £114 and a pair of clean underpants and began to walk confidently. I did so towards a bath. All you really need for confidence is always to have a toothbrush and a hundred or two in your pocket. Oh, and a cheque book. I'm very check conscious. I usually dress in check trousers containing a cheque book. That and a velvet jacket and a raincoat. Usually when I wake in a strange house I like to get out before they wake up without leaving a single clue that I've been there. I went out and bought The Times and read the obituaries. There was no pleasure in them for me. Then I went to Valerie's in Old Compton Street for some coffee and tried to do the crossword puzzle. At 9.30a.m. it was 'voice-over' time at a Soho recording studios. I performed for Norsca Foam Baths and they seemed pleased by my enthusiasm. I find it quite interesting to try and give credibility to a blatant sell. After the voiceover I signed an autograph for a child called Donalbain and a few minutes later I signed one for a child called Wee Peng. Then I went for a drink. I usually go to the Swiss Tavern, The Carlisle Arms, the Coach and Horses or the Yorkminster. After a few drinks the miracle is that one has something to say. Then, no matter how I feel, I feel an obligation to feel no anxiety because of being recognised. There is a constant stream of hallos, nods and autographs. All very good medicine for anxiety. At midday, I went to the Yorkminster in the hope of seeing Eva Johansen and also hoping for the miracle that I might see someone I'd never seen before. I bought 10 pence worth of money from Gaston. [Gaston Berlemont, the guvnor, charges lop to cash a cheque.] It's the cheapest cash in town. After lunch in the Paparazzi — I usually eat the calf's liver and bacon — I went to a rehearsal for the BBC at North Acton. It's Kafkaville. I worked for a bit as a paid fantasist and it went quite well. On the train back to town I tried to learn some lines but there was a girl sitting opposite with a transistor. It was playing I Am Your Automatic Lover. Curiously I felt embarrassed. I wonder why ? Another wave of anxiety swept over me. At teatime I arrived at The Colony Room Club and Francis Bacon bought me a large gin and tonic. The anxieties went away and the conviction grew that I had something to say on any subject. Kenny Clayton played the piano and a bunch of inebriates harmonised to Home on the Range. Kenny didn't. look exactly extended by the exercise. At 5.30p.m., after a vaguely lunatic afternoon, I went back to the Yorkminster in the hope of finding some conversation before bedlam set in. Then I met the beautiful Moe Jenns and invited her to Madisons in Camden Lock. Dinner and cabaret at 9.00p.m. costs £9. But before that I went to Gerry's Club and met Peter Crouch, the agent, and played some pool and lost. Dee Lynch, the manageress, embraced me and that was nice. Then I talked about cancer for a while with a man who had a bad cough. After that, I was introduced by an actor acquaintance to a Welsh school teacher who said he was delighted to meet me. We shook hands and he promptly had a heart attack. Astonishingly enough there were two doctors in the house — well, three if you included me — and the poor man was carried out and put into an ambulance. And then we embarked on a conversation about having heart attacks.

After that we went on to Madisons. The cabaret that was appearing there was called Gotham and they were very merry. But they declined into barber shop trios which was disappointing.

I tottered off back to Gerry's Club and spent most of the rest of the evening telling everyone I met there about Peter Crouch. I had several nightcap§ and felt relieved that another day had passed. As usual there was someone there with whom to discuss crumpet and the meaning of life.

I then popped into Ronnie Scott's club and sat there at the bar self-consciously affecting a knowledge of jazz that I haven't got. The recurring image of tall, skinny ladies came back and they still looked good. Then I went back to Gerry's Club for another drink and after I'd cadged a Valium from someone, I went home to my padded cell. I thought about Harriet Waugh and fell asleep."

"Tom Baker was born in Liverpool. His mother was a chambermaid in an hotel and his father was a punter. He spent six years as a monk in a very strict order in France and left when he decided it was time "for the pubs and women". He first caught the eye of the public when he played Rasputin on television. He is now known and acknowledged as being the best of the actors who have played 'Doctor Who' in the legendary series. Tom Baker is a great believer in always traveling light."
*NOTE - It's good to see that the Sunday Times Magazine in 1978 understood the importance of using paragraphs!
nosferatu42 and MrBarlow like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!