Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28674Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st November 2023, 01:32 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 1656

The Doctor (David Tennant), Beep the Meep and a Wrarth Warrior grace the cover of the new issue of SFX magazine, in shops today.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg sfx-372.jpg (104.9 KB, 23 views)
Susan Foreman and MrBarlow like this.
Old 1st November 2023, 02:03 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

For anyone interested the 60th celebrations begin tonight on BBC4 with Talking Doctor Who at 7.30 pm (repeated at 1.30 am)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001s1n0

Followed by Doctor Who at 60: A Musical Celebration at 8.30 pm (Repeated at 2.30 am)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001s697

Both will of course be on I-Player following their initial broadcast.
Old 1st November 2023, 08:12 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Apparently Russell T. has stated in SFX magazine that the 14th season will officially be called Season One!!

This could get confusing!!!!
lol Glorious. No longer any denying that what we used to call "New Who" (but should really call BBC Wales Who) got the axe. This is now basically a reboot of a reboot.
Old 1st November 2023, 08:57 PM
Cult Addict

Noticed all those classic series have now turned up on iPlayer including the animations. didn't scroll through them all to check, but it looks as though its all on there apart from the first story and the still missing, not recreated episodes.

Just started rewatching Monkey on ITVX player recently, but think i'm gonna jump into this now.
Me and a mate were collecting the old stories on dvd at one point so i've seen about 70% of the classics, but there's a few i never got around to, time to fill those gaps I think.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 1st November 2023, 09:20 PM
Cult Acolyte

Some of those spinoff scenes are on YT. I did appreciate RTD (intentionally?) giving us all the option to decanonise New Who altogether by having Sylv canonise different timelines (including one where he never regenerated, hence why he's older).
Cheers Russ!
Old 2nd November 2023, 06:08 AM
Cult Master

Guest actors appearing in THE CRIMSON HORROR who have previously appeared in the show:
  • Jenna-Louise Coleman (Oswald)
  • Catrin Stewart (Jenny Flint)
  • Neve McIntosh (Madame Vastra)
  • Dan Starkey (Strax)
  • Eve De Leon Allen (Angie Maitland)
  • Kassius Carey Johnson (Artie Maitland)

Who: Before And After #1307 / Nu-Who #366
Name: Dame Diana Rigg [1938 - 2020]
Year(s): 2013
Stories: The Crimson Horror
Character(s): Winifred Gillyflower
Note(s):
  • Had previously been considered for the role of Kassia in the 1981 story 'The Keeper of Traken'
  • Is the mother of Who actress Rachael Stirling
  • Was the first Dame Commander to appear in 'Doctor Who' (and the first to have such an honourific included in her on-screen credit)

Before Who:
Films: A Midsummer Night's Dream (1959), A Midsummer Night's Dream (1968), The Assassination Bureau* (1969), On Her Majesty's Secret Service* (1969), Julius Caesar (1970), The Hospital (1971), Theater of Blood* (1973), In This House of Brede (1975), A Little Night Music (1977), The Marquise (1980), Hedda Gabler (1981), The Great Muppet Caper (1981), Evil Under the Sun* (1982), Witness for the Prosecution (1982), King Lear (1983), The Worst Witch (1986), Snow White (1987), A Hazard of Hearts (1987), Mrs. 'Arris Goes to Paris (1992), Running Delilah (1993), Genghis Cohn (1993), A Good Man in Africa (1994), Oliver 2: Let's Twist Again (1995), Zoya (1995), The Haunting of Helen Walker (1995), Parting Shots (1998), The American (1998), Heidi (2005), The Painted Veil (2006)

Television: Theatre Night: Ondine (1961) / The Sentimental Agent: A Very Desirable Plot (1963) / Festival: The Comedy Of Errors (1964) / Armchair Theatre: The Hothouse (1964) / ITV Play of the Week: Women Beware Women (1965) / The Avengers* [51 episodes as Emma Peel (1965–1968)] / ITV Saturday Night Theatre: Married Alive (1970) / Diana [15 episodes as Diana Smythe (1973–1974)] / Affairs of the Heart: Grace (1974) / Three Piece Suite [6 episodes, Various characters (1977)] /Oresteia [3 episodes as Clytemnestra (1979)] / BBC Play of the Month: Little Eyolf (1982) / Masterpiece Theatre - Bleak House [7 episodes as Lady Honoria Dedlock (1985)] / The Play on One: Unexplained Laughter* (1989) / Mother Love [4 episodes as Helena Vesey (1989)] / Avonlea: The Disappearance (1993) / The Fortunes and Misfortunes of Moll Flanders (1996) / Rebecca [2 episodes as Mrs. Danvers (1997)] / The Mrs Bradley Mysteries [5 episodes as Adela Bradley (1998–2000)] / In the Beginning [2 episodes as Mature Rebeccah (2000)] / Murder in Mind: Suicide (2003) / The Last King [2 episodes as Queen Henrietta Maria (2003)] / Extras: Daniel Radcliffe (2006)

After Who:
Films: The Honourable Rebel [as the Narrator] (2015), Professor Branestawm Returns (2015), Breathe (2017), A Christmas Carol Goes Wrong (2017), The Snail and the Whale [as the Narrator] (2019), Last Night in Soho (2021)
Television: Game of Thrones* [18 episodes as Olenna Tyrell (2013–2017)] / You, Me and the Apocalypse [5 episodes as Sutton (2015)] / Penn Zero - Part-Time Hero [3 episodes as the voice of Mayor Pink Panda (2015–2017)] / Detectorists [6 episodes as Veronica (2015–2017)] / Victoria [9 episodes as the Duchess of Buccleuch (2017)] / All Creatures Great and Small [2 episodes as Mrs Pumphrey (2020)] / Black Narcissus [2 episodes as Mother Dorothea (2020)]

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 2nd November 2023, 06:36 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Noticed all those classic series have now turned up on iPlayer including the animations. didn't scroll through them all to check, but it looks as though its all on there apart from the first story and the still missing, not recreated episodes
Apparently your choices are:
  • Doctor Who (1963-1996)
  • Doctor Who (2005-2022)
  • Tales of the TARDIS
  • Doctor Who Confidential
  • K9 and Company
  • Doctor Who: Dreamland
  • Doctor Who: The Infinite Quest
  • The Sarah Jane Adventures
  • Torchwood
  • Class
  • Delia Derbyshire: The Myths and the Legendary Tapes
  • The Science of Doctor Who
  • Doctor Who at The Proms
  • Whose Doctor Who

Old 2nd November 2023, 11:08 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 1657

Osborne (Sneh Gupta) and Mercer (Jim Findlay) aboard the prison space station during Resurrection of the Daleks (1984)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg RoD.jpg (49.4 KB, 16 views)
Old 2nd November 2023, 11:40 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

During that Doctor Who at 60 concert that was broadcast last night, Russell was talking about series 4. Not the series from 2008 but a fourth season in the works.
Old 2nd November 2023, 02:39 PM
Cult Master

Toyah Willcox - the 'Doctor Who' companion who never was!

Children of the Circus musical audio play based on Dr Who’s Greatest Show in the Galaxy / ToyahWillcox.com

"Once upon a time, there was a circus.
A Psychic Circus, to be precise. A glorious haven for the misfits of the universe.
But then, as is so often the way, it was hijacked by a trio of malevolent Gods.
Things grew unpleasant.
Now, years later, the Gods are gone, but the scars of those who survived the Circus remain. After all, you can’t change the past.
Unless you’re the Children of the Circus… and you’re willing to sing."
"Based on Doctor Who’s The Greatest Show in the Galaxy by Stephen Wyatt, Children of the Circus is a brand-new, original, musical play on audio from AUK Studios; written by Kenton Hall (with songs by Christopher Guard) and based on an idea by Barnaby Eaton-Jones.

Starring Christopher Guard as Bellboy, Dee Sadler as Flowerchild and Ella, Sophie Aldred as Captain Gren and AJ, Toyah Willcox as The Band of Infinite Harmony, Ian Reddington as Delios and the Chief Clown, and Sylvester McCoy as the High Poet.

Special guest appearances by Ricco Ross as The Ringmaster, Jessica Martin as Mags, Chris Juryas Deadbeat, Deborah Manship as Morgana, Gian Sammarco as Whizz Kid, Daniel Peacock as Nord, and Dean Hollingsworth as the Bus Conductor and Station Announcer.

The limited edition 2CD set can now. be pre-ordered. The release date is 14 December 2023, exactly 35 years to the day that the first episode of The Greatest Show in the Galaxy was broadcast on BBC 1.

Ever since producer / director Barnaby Eaton-Jones saw the original broadcast of The Greatest Show in the Galaxy, he was fascinated by the world that Stephen Wyatt had created as he explained:
“There was such a wild mix of horror, science fiction, music, and fantasy, that it blew my adolescent mind; with images and characters forever stuck in my head. I wanted to revisit some of the characters and introduce new ones. With the permission of Stephen Wyatt (who came up with the title for this new production), and the help of writer Kenton Hall and actor/musician Christopher Guard, we were able to create something rather unique in the audio medium

And it wouldn’t be a proper sequel without the return of Sylvester McCoy (the Seventh Doctor) and Sophie Aldred (who played the Doctor’s travelling companion, Ace). So, they’re here. But not as you’d expect. Sylvester gives us High Poet; all befuddled charm and with a whisper of duplicity and danger. Sophie gives us two magnificently different characters in the form of Captain Gren (the gruff owner of a Time Ship) and AJ (a sentient piece of rust, who navigates the Time Ship).

Sylvester himself sums it up rather beautifully…
‘To return to the worlds of Stephen Wyatt’s imagination, but as a wholly new character called the High Poet, means I get to be involved with the Psychic Circus rather than fighting against it! As a lover of the circus myself, juggling this new role was a joy (though I’m sad I didn’t get to play the spoons). What fun to be reunited with all the wonderful cast from ‘The Greatest Show in the Galaxy’ again, 35 years later, and I hope you’ll all enjoy this time-sliding, sidestepping sequel from Barnaby Eaton-Jones and his bunch of clowns!”
Joining the cast in a major role is iconic (singer / actress / songwriter), Toyah Willcox. It’s long been known she was a fan of Doctor Who, as she appeared in Kevin Jon Davies’ acclaimed documentary 30 Years in the TARDIS. To get her to create a multi-voiced role as The Band of Infinite Harmony, and get her own solo song, which can heard in full after the end credits as a bonus extra track) was something Toyah clearly relished.
“At last, I get to play all four members of the band and still have the last say…. love it. Seriously it was wonderful to play THE BAND and equally wonderful to hear this rather fab story unfold, a rock and roll odyssey of comic proportions.”
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!