Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28781Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th September 2015, 11:23 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Series 2 is mostly terrible. About a third or so of series 4 is atrocious (Partners in Crime, Fires of Pompeii, Doctor's Daughter, Journey's End). Agree on Let's Kill Hitler and TDWTATW. Frankly, almost all of the last three years (two seasons) has been so bad I've all but given up on the modern program.

How we differ.

I can't wait for the new episode tomorrow. I can't get enough of the Daleks.

I forgot Nightmare in Silver...that's truly bad.
Old 18th September 2015, 11:29 PM
Cult Acolyte

It really, really was.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 19th September 2015, 10:52 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Screw NIS, Silver Nemesis was on THC yesterday, well the first two eps anyhow haha

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 19th September 2015, 10:55 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Screw NIS, Silver Nemesis was on THC yesterday, well the first two eps anyhow haha
It's not good is it?

Although i do like the end of episode 1 and the battle at the start of episode 2. Unlike the NIS variety i do like the look of the Cybermen in this.
Old 19th September 2015, 12:10 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Well, last year I said that I wouldn't be watching Doctor Who again after some shambolic stories from series 8. But having watched the series 9 trailer for this year's series I feel that I should submit myself to watching this new series. Just like an alcoholic who's trying to taper off his addiction, I find myself being pulled back into watching this new series of Dr Who. Once Dr Who gets in your blood, it's hard to stay away from it. Just hope that the opener has the desired effect of being a decent story with a solid second half as a two-parter.

Here's hoping.

Daleks here we come

Yes! Nightmare in Silver was a crock of cyber poo with diodes on it. I would have Earthshock over NIS anyday. And Earthshock didn't even have half the television budget of this new Dr Who series. Shameful.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 19th September 2015, 12:30 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Today.

Old 19th September 2015, 09:31 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
Well, last year I said that I wouldn't be watching Doctor Who again after some shambolic stories from series 8. But having watched the series 9 trailer for this year's series I feel that I should submit myself to watching this new series. Just like an alcoholic who's trying to taper off his addiction, I find myself being pulled back into watching this new series of Dr Who. Once Dr Who gets in your blood, it's hard to stay away from it. Just hope that the opener has the desired effect of being a decent story with a solid second half as a two-parter.

Here's hoping.
Don't do it, it's a trap!

Honestly, I'm passing this year.
Old 19th September 2015, 09:49 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I thought it was very good. If i'm being critical then the Doctor's guitar antics was a little cringe inducing and flattened the pace .

However that was only a minor niggle. i just hope they don't chicken out and reverse everything in the second half.
Old 19th September 2015, 10:07 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I thought it was very good. If i'm being critical then the Doctor's guitar antics was a little cringe inducing and flattened the pace .

However that was only a minor niggle. i just hope they don't chicken out and reverse everything in the second half.

The highlight (as she's always been), was Michelle Gomez as Missy/The Master. Every look and delivery of her lines is pitch perfect and deliciously evil.
Old 19th September 2015, 10:19 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

That was a turn for the books. A Dr Who opener that felt like a classic episode from the 70's. For the first time since Moffat took over I actually enjoyed sitting down and watching what felt like REAL Dr Who. Nice to see Julian Bleach return as Davros though. Michael Wisher must be smiling down from Heaven with Bleach delivering another fine performance. Overall I found this opener epic in it's delivery with some decent CGI too. The BBC must be pulling out the stops with the money me thinks. I agree with you on Capaldi's guitar antics, but it didn't overly detract from what was a cracking opener. There's always the fear that the second part won't deliver what the first part achieved in terms of keeping the momentum of story going. If it does, then this story could become a classic modern day Dr Who story that "could" potentially take it's place next to Genesis of the Daleks.

Just keep your fingers crossed that Moffat doesn't do an RTD. There's no one in Dr Who who perfected the bulls-up two parter like Mr. Davies. End of Time, Aliens of London etc.... Need I say more.

Last edited by hivemind; 19th September 2015 at 10:30 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!