Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th January 2017, 11:39 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
I've watched The Sontaran two-parter quite a few times and rather enjoyed the story, though Helen Raynor's other two-parter, The Daleks Take Manhattan leaves a lot to be desired. I also enjoyed Planet of the Ood. The story that I really enjoyed was Midnight. Probably one of the best stories to be written by dear Russ, or not so dear Russ with The End of Time and Voyage of the Damned. Yuck!
Blue Sontarans just don't do it for me. They come across like animated parodies.

I like Planet of the Ood very much and also Daleks in Manhattan although acknowledge it is flawed. The End of Time i agree is poor but i don't mind Voyage of the Damned. It's a big brassy Poseidon Adventure type thing that did what it set out to.
Old 14th January 2017, 07:16 AM
Cult Acolyte

I rather love Daleks in Manhattan.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 14th January 2017, 09:40 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
I rather love Daleks in Manhattan.
Basically anything with Daleks in i love.

Take the Daleks out of the show and i doubt i'd watch it.

Throughout my Who watching life i've always watched in the hope they would be behind the scenes in every episode. Failing that i hoped another monster familiar foe would be.

I was thrilled to guess correctly about the Cybermen in Earthshock and the Master in Keeper of Traken*. Had no idea about the Macra in Gridlock though or Davros in Destiny of the Daleks.

*The Deadly Assassin shit me up so much i just knew that emaciated, seemingly burnt hand they teased us with throughout The Keeper of Traken was the Master.
Old 14th January 2017, 12:39 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Basically anything with Daleks in i love.

Take the Daleks out of the show and i doubt i'd watch it.

Throughout my Who watching life i've always watched in the hope they would be behind the scenes in every episode. Failing that i hoped another monster familiar foe would be.

I was thrilled to guess correctly about the Cybermen in Earthshock and the Master in Keeper of Traken*. Had no idea about the Macra in Gridlock though or Davros in Destiny of the Daleks.

*The Deadly Assassin shit me up so much i just knew that emaciated, seemingly burnt hand they teased us with throughout The Keeper of Traken was the Master.
The biggest shock for me was losing Tom Baker in Logopolis. 1981. Takes me back to the days of playing Atari and sherbet dip dabs.
Old 14th January 2017, 01:17 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
The biggest shock for me was losing Tom Baker in Logopolis. 1981. Takes me back to the days of playing Atari and sherbet dip dabs.
What was the first story you recall seeing, Hivemind?
Old 14th January 2017, 01:49 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
What was the first story you recall seeing, Hivemind?
I can just recall watching Full Circle on BBC1 with Tom Baker. The marsh men scared the shit out of me. I was never scared of the Daleks though. If I remember correctly, back in 1984 I was looking forward to Resurrection of the Daleks on TV. If I remember correctly, Tomorrow's World was on before the first episode. What scared me the most was Terry Molloy as Davros. I use to have a cushion on the sofa ready for any moments that might be just a bit too much. And yourself Dem?
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 14th January 2017, 02:04 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I can just recall watching Full Circle on BBC1 with Tom Baker. The marsh men scared the shit out of me. I was never scared of the Daleks though. If I remember correctly, back in 1984 I was looking forward to Resurrection of the Daleks on TV. If I remember correctly, Tomorrow's World was on before the first episode. What scared me the most was Terry Molloy as Davros. I use to have a cushion on the sofa ready for any moments that might be just a bit too much. And yourself Dem?
An episode of The Brain of Morbius. It was probably part 3 because the Morbius monster scared the living daylights out of me.

I don't recall anything of following story The Seeds of Doom so it's possible i didn't see it. I certainly saw everything from Masque of Mandragora onwards.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 14th January 2017, 02:08 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Pic of the Day # 2

Full Circle (1980)

Old 14th January 2017, 05:04 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Full Circle (1980)

I think I should frame that photo on the wall. Quite atmospheric too. With a quote underneath. A pond full of marshmen by Grimwade. I would suspect it would fetch big money in the Tate Modern, London.

So you got to see some of the crème de la crème of Baker stories televised on BBC 1. Doctor Who was always the best when Baker played the part, especially with that sexy Mary Tamm. Miss those days alot.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 14th January 2017, 05:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I think I should frame that photo on the wall. Quite atmospheric too. With a quote underneath. A pond full of marshmen by Grimwade. I would suspect it would fetch big money in the Tate Modern, London.

So you got to see some of the crème de la crème of Baker stories televised on BBC 1. Doctor Who was always the best when Baker played the part, especially with that sexy Mary Tamm. Miss those days alot.
I did. I have vivid childhood scars from The Robots of Death, The Deadly Assassin, Talons, The Invisible Enemy and The Sunmakers.

As for Mary Tamm, i don't think i ever recovered from the idea of her being strapped down, cut up and replaced by a robot in The Androids of Tara. It's weird as my memories of The Sunmakers were of Leela in the steaming tube. It must be a bondage thing with me.

Like this? Share it using the links below!