Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28687Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th December 2016, 11:58 PM
Cult Acolyte

The Romance of Crime is a great Tom. Enjoyed Fanfare for the Common Men, Spare Parts and Iterations of I for Davison (though the latter is in a boxset). The Holy Terror is a great Colin and the best Sylv I've heard is Night Terrors.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 21st December 2016, 05:29 AM
Cult Master

Broadcast on December 21st, 1963

Without this particular story, would the show still be running 53 years later?
tele1962 likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 21st December 2016, 01:08 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
He might not annoy you as much as you fear.

I really didn't like the idea of James Corden being in the show but loved his two episodes and the way he interacted with the Doctor.
Knowing what Steven Moffat is like Dem, I suspect he will have the character as continual light, comic relief. A rather goofy companion certainly isn't needed. I say "keep the character of Nordole firmly for the Xmas special". But now he's going to appear multiple times throughout the next series. Ken Dodd was limited to just one episode of Delta and the Bannermen. Nordole should of been limited to Xmas special. Bad move me thinks...
Susan Foreman likes this.
Old 21st December 2016, 04:37 PM
Cult Master

The DVD and Blu-Ray of 'The Return Of Dr. Mysterio' is due to be released on January 23rd, 2017. Extra features are:

The Doctor: A New Kind of Hero - The Doctor has no superpowers, but he can stand proudly alongside the greatest superheroes ever known. In this special program, we’ll ask what it is about the Doctor that makes him so heroic.

Doctor Who Extra: The Return of Doctor Mysterio - Join stars Peter Capaldi and Matt Lucas, showrunner Steven Moffat, and many more for this very special inside look at the making of ‘The Return of Doctor Mysterio.’

Old 23rd December 2016, 04:55 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I'm currently 3/4's of the way through Time Lord Fairy Tales.

A book of fairy tales with a Doctor Who twist. The Doctor isn't in all of them, in fact he's only been in three so far out of ten and never by name. We've had appearances from Troughton, Eccleston and Smith so far.

The best thing about this easy to read but nicely written tome is the sheer number of monsters from the series entire history that turn up. Some obvious ones like the Cybermen but others less so. At least two of the stories would have made excellent tv episodes in todays 45 minute format.

This is a delight to read by the light of the twinkling Christmas tree as day fades into night.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4307 (Large).jpg (88.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 23rd December 2016, 06:25 PM
Cult Master

trebor8273 and nosferatu42 like this.

Old 25th December 2016, 09:18 PM
Cult Acolyte

After everyone raving about it online I tuned into the Christmas special and went... hmmm, for the first time in it's current form it looked far too skewed to the U.S. market, as yet again it's set in New York with the doctor heading off an invasion U.S.A. storyline (deja vu?) now not every story should be set in London but this felt too much and heavy handed, the baddies were a nice touch and both Peter and Matt were very good but it seemed more like an episode of 'Lois & Clark/Superman' with added cameos. The trailers for the series were much more like it, so roll on the series.

So "Bah Humbug" to the special...
Old 25th December 2016, 09:42 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by platostotal View Post
After everyone raving about it online I tuned into the Christmas special and went... hmmm, for the first time in it's current form it looked far too skewed to the U.S. market, as yet again it's set in New York with the doctor heading off an invasion U.S.A. storyline (deja vu?) now not every story should be set in London but this felt too much and heavy handed, the baddies were a nice touch and both Peter and Matt were very good but it seemed more like an episode of 'Lois & Clark/Superman' with added cameos. The trailers for the series were much more like it, so roll on the series.

It was ok, nothing great though. I really liked Justin Chatwin as Grant though, he was recently in the tv show American Gothic (sadly just cancelled), starring Antony Starr from the amazing Banshee & Virginia Madsen, and Charity Wakefield , who recently co-starred in The Player, starring Wesley Snipes & Philip Winchester (another show cancelled which I was really enjoying), although her American accent in Doctor Who was woeful.
Old 25th December 2016, 10:56 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by platostotal View Post

Yet again? There have been two previous stories, just two, primarily set in New York.

I thought it was okay. Crap villains as are most of SM's creations.

I didn't mind the obvious riff on Superman and i thought some of the dialogue was excellent. Quite liked Nardole, Lucy and Grant.

The series trailer looked shit to me. Rehashing stuff from that Dalek intro for Bill although there were scenes with Nardole and the Dalek that suggests it's probably a Dalek story. The rest looked a bit inconclusive and didn't show anything particularly interesting.

Capaldi told Radio 1 that we may see a new type of Cyberman though. He's said in the past he'd like to do a Cyberman origins story so perhaps it's a return to the cloth face fellas.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 25th December 2016, 11:12 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Yet again? There have been two previous stories, just two, primarily set in New York.

I thought it was okay. Crap villains as are most of SM's creations.

I didn't mind the obvious riff on Superman and i thought some of the dialogue was excellent. Quite liked Nardole, Lucy and Grant.

The series trailer looked shit to me. Rehashing stuff from that Dalek intro for Bill although there were scenes with Nardole and the Dalek that suggests it's probably a Dalek story. The rest looked a bit inconclusive and didn't show anything particularly interesting.

Capaldi told Radio 1 that we may see a new type of Cyberman though. He's said in the past he'd like to do a Cyberman origins story so perhaps it's a return to the cloth face fellas.

I take it we all got the Shuster & Siegel Superman reference at the beginning of the episode?

Like this? Share it using the links below!