Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Sci-Fi & Fantasy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   The Doctor Who Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/sci-fi-fantasy/2137-doctor-who-thread.html)

iank 23rd January 2017 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hivemind (Post 518439)
I think you have to be OTT when it comes to the Armageddon Factor. Though I did like William Squire's voice. He was also superb in Callan with Edward Woodward. If you ever get a chance to see him in the flesh as an actor with some superbly written dialogue, then check the series out. I would have The Pirate Planet and The Stones of Blood as the best stories from The Key to Time. Who would of thought polystyrene rocks could be so frighting, and Mary Tamm looking so God damn sexy. Get's my vote every time.

I love Callan! Long heard of it but only got into it in 2014 and raced through it. Brilliant series. Probably about due for a rewatch actually...:nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th January 2017 10:06 AM

Pic of the Day # 12

1 Attachment(s)
The Creature from the Pit (1979)

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th January 2017 10:30 AM

The creature above with it's er' large appendage isn't the most convincing monster to ever feature on the show.

Leaving aside the big four - Daleks, Cybermen, Sontarans and Ice Warriors - which are your favourite monsters that have appeared in the series?

Susan Foreman 24th January 2017 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 517610)
'Class' isn't performing well on BBC1!

"Episode Four, Co-Owner Of A Lonely Heart, had an audience of 0.28 million, a share of 5.1%. This episode was beaten by Tattoo Fixers on Channel 4 with 0.45 million and by Celebrity Big Brother on Five, with 0.42 million"

Doctor Who News: Class Episode 3/4 Ratings

A week later, and it's not picking up

"Episode Six, Detained, which followed at 11.35pm had an audience of 0.21 million, a share of 3.5%. This episode was beaten by Hospital on BBC Two, 0.33 million, by The Chase on ITV with 0.26 million."

Doctor Who News: Class Ratings Update

hivemind 24th January 2017 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 518487)
I love Callan! Long heard of it but only got into it in 2014 and raced through it. Brilliant series. Probably about due for a rewatch actually...:nod:

All the series were incredible. But the one off Callan special made by ATV in 1981 was just awful. Wet Job. "Weak Script" should of been the official name.

hivemind 24th January 2017 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 518569)
A week later, and it's not picking up

"Episode Six, Detained, which followed at 11.35pm had an audience of 0.21 million, a share of 3.5%. This episode was beaten by Hospital on BBC Two, 0.33 million, by The Chase on ITV with 0.26 million."

Doctor Who News: Class Ratings Update

It's best forgotten about. After what I saw of "Class", it left me as cold as the North Sea.

hivemind 24th January 2017 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 518559)

Well....at least someone's excited to see the Fourth Doctor. Must be the hair, the extra long scarf and the sonic screwdriver in his pocket. :lol:

Mojo 24th January 2017 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 518561)
The creature above with it's er' large appendage isn't the most convincing monster to ever feature on the show.

Leaving aside the big four - Daleks, Cybermen, Sontarans and Ice Warriors - which are your favourite monsters that have appeared in the series?

From classic Who, my top four faves from outside the top four! :

Autons
Sea Devils
Voc Robots ( Robots Of Death )
Zygons

Also, special mention to the Axons - I'd love to see them return.

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th January 2017 06:21 PM

I found the Mandrels quite frightening and they've been a bit of a fave since. I know they are generally regarded as a bit rubbish but i like them.

Another one off monster i like are the Gel Guards. Again they look a bit rubbish when you see their feet but otherwise i really like the gloopy and totally alien look of them.

The Wirrn are another race i really like. Again, best not look at how they move though.

The Fendahleen from Image of the Fendahl absolutely terrified me as a child. All writhing tentacles and slithery menace.

And agreeing with Mojo. The Voc Robots, Axons, Sea Devils and Pertwee era Silurians are also classics.

Of the new series, the Weeping Angels are an excellent creation and need another story where they are the main threat, also the Silents were a great idea well realised as were the Sycorax.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 24th January 2017 06:59 PM

The Zygons were always a fave of mine (a shame they weren't used more, although that may have ruined their allure) along with the Yeti marauding around in the London Underground in The Web of Fear. Despite never having watched the story (although I have seen stills from it) I loved the depiction on my Target novel and the story very much. It was the first ever Doctor Who book that I read when I was about 8 years old.

https://i0.wp.com/downthetubes.net/w...2/img_1615.jpg