Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28674Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th January 2019, 05:53 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Pic of the Day # 708

The Raston Warrior Robot lays waste to the Cybermen in The Five Doctors (1983)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tfd2 (Medium).jpg (73.0 KB, 47 views)
Old 5th January 2019, 11:46 AM
Seasoned Cultist

So I just watched The Twin Dilemma for the first time. I was braced for the absolute worst and here's the funny thing. It was so fun to watch. I couldn't stop laughing at the fact that, bar the odd exception, after 5 nicer Doctors, this new guy wouldn't stop berating Peri before accusing her of being a spy (), before attempting to kill her. He even tries to claim its all her fault when the bad guy have them at gunpoint! It just seems so out of character for the Doctor (especially because last episode he risked everything to save her) that its somehow actually great and hilarious to watch. On that note (and because I've already seen Attack, Revelation etc), Colin has given me the impression right from the start that he knows exactly how he's going to play the Doctor. Say what you like about JNT but he's actually not a bad showrunner and he knew how to get this new Doctor and era started off. Chibnall should take note because this supposedly, horrifically bad Story somehow, despite having everything against it, ended up being better than all of Series 11.

Beyond that the story was okay and I liked the design of the henchmen to the giant slug. How is this considered a bad Story? Its a laugh from start to finish. I'm not sure if that's the problem for others but I enjoyed myself watching it. Its the Story I've laughed at the most since this marathon started and I would gladly watch it again.
Demoncrat and Susan Foreman like this.
Old 5th January 2019, 12:05 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmogxx View Post
So I just watched The Twin Dilemma for the first time. I was braced for the absolute worst and here's the funny thing. It was so fun to watch. I couldn't stop laughing at the fact that, bar the odd exception, after 5 nicer Doctors, this new guy wouldn't stop berating Peri before accusing her of being a spy (), before attempting to kill her. He even tries to claim its all her fault when the bad guy have them at gunpoint! It just seems so out of character for the Doctor (especially because last episode he risked everything to save her) that its somehow actually great and hilarious to watch. On that note (and because I've already seen Attack, Revelation etc), Colin has given me the impression right from the start that he knows exactly how he's going to play the Doctor. Say what you like about JNT but he's actually not a bad showrunner and he knew how to get this new Doctor and era started off. Chibnall should take note because this supposedly, horrifically bad Story somehow, despite having everything against it, ended up being better than all of Series 11.

Beyond that the story was okay and I liked the design of the henchmen to the giant slug. How is this considered a bad Story? Its a laugh from start to finish. I'm not sure if that's the problem for others but I enjoyed myself watching it. Its the Story I've laughed at the most since this marathon started and I would gladly watch it again.
Romulus and Remus - That's why it's a bad story...they should have been drowned at birth.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 5th January 2019, 01:31 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
So I just watched The Twin Dilemma for the first time. I was braced for the absolute worst and here's the funny thing. It was so fun to watch. I couldn't stop laughing at the fact that, bar the odd exception, after 5 nicer Doctors, this new guy wouldn't stop berating Peri before accusing her of being a spy, before attempting to kill her. He even tries to claim its all her fault when the bad guy have them at gunpoint! It just seems so out of character for the Doctor (especially because last episode he risked everything to save her) that its somehow actually great and hilarious to watch.
It actually makes sense after 'Androzani' - the Doctor was forced to regenerate due to his illness caused by the Spectrox Toxima, and not having enough of the antidote for himself. That is what caused his change to 'fail', leading to bouts of paranoia, anxiety and anger

The big mistake that they made was ending the 21st series with 'The Twin Dilemma'. Audiences were left with the image of a hateful character, and they had to wait a year before before getting a full series with this incarnation to see how me would evolve over time. As with Jodie and Chibnall, many viewers had already decided that Colin was not going to be a good Doctor and when the show returned for the 22nd series, they had turned away in their droves

Quote:
On that note (and because I've already seen Attack, Revelation etc), Colin has given me the impression right from the start that he knows exactly how he's going to play the Doctor. Say what you like about JNT but he's actually not a bad showrunner and he knew how to get this new Doctor and era started off
I think that Colin was a great Doctor, and he was treated abysmally by 'the powers that be'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Romulus and Remus - That's why it's a bad story...they should have been drowned at birth
Not wanting to make light of anyone with a speech impediment - I myself have a lisp and find it difficult to pronounce my 'R's - but don't you mean Womulus and Wemus?

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 5th January 2019, 01:35 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
It actually makes sense after 'Androzani' - the Doctor was forced to regenerate due to his illness caused by the Spectrox Toxima, and not having enough of the antidote for himself. That is what caused his change to 'fail', leading to bouts of paranoia, anxiety and anger

The big mistake that they made was ending the 21st series with 'The Twin Dilemma'. Audiences were left with the image of a hateful character, and they had to wait a year before before getting a full series with this incarnation to see how me would evolve over time. As with Jodie and Chibnall, many viewers had already decided that Colin was not going to be a good Doctor and when the show returned for the 22nd series, they had turned away in their droves

I think that Colin was a great Doctor, and he was treated abysmally by 'the powers that be'

Not wanting to make light of anyone with a speech impediment - I myself have a lisp and find it difficult to pronounce my 'R's - but don't you mean Womulus and Wemus?
Great post, Susan.

I'd forgotten their speech completely. It's just them so irritating, like Bob in House by the Cemetery, only there's two of the blighters.
Susan Foreman likes this.
Old 5th January 2019, 01:56 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Pic of the Day # 709

Davros (Julian Bleach) in The Witch's Familiar (2015)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Davros-Julian-Bleach-in-The-Witchs-Familiar (Large).jpg (43.8 KB, 36 views)
nosferatu42 and MrBarlow like this.
Old 5th January 2019, 02:06 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Colin is an amazing Doctor. I've just finished Attack and that definitely shows off some of the best of his character.

The twins in TTD: agreed their acting is terrible (Matthew Waterhouse was much better) but I found a lot of their lines funny like most of the Story.

I've never seen Vengeance on Varos before but heard good things (Incidentally I have seen the actor in person who played Sil at a convention once).
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 5th January 2019, 04:22 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Vengeance on Varos was absolutely amazing. Twin Dilemma was a nice surprise, Attack of the Cybermen was comfort who and this was just brilliant. The cliffhanger to Episode 1, Sil, the constant fight for power between the higher ups, the clever writing, the acid bath... Remind me why Colin Baker's era is supposed to be bad again? Three Stories in and I'd rather re-watch it than (most) of the Davison era, (Tom) Baker's 4-6th Seasons (minus City of Death) and Hartnell's 2nd and 3rd Seasons.
Old 5th January 2019, 04:55 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
A Draconian from the classic 1973 story Frontier in Space.

anyone else think Klingon make-up from ST:TMP onwards was influenced by the Draconian make-up?
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 6th January 2019, 09:53 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Pic of the Day # 710

The astrologer Hieronymous in sacrifical garb in the 1976 story The Masque of Mandragora.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg masque.jpg (53.5 KB, 30 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!