Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28680Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st January 2019, 08:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Someone please kill Chibnall, the man knows nothing of Doctor who, a fan of the show my ass.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 1st January 2019, 08:12 PM
Cult Acolyte

Well this "fan" has admitted to not watching the classic series for years, so it's hardly surprising he's forgotten what the whole point of it was supposed to be.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 1st January 2019, 08:14 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Someone please kill Chibnall, the man knows nothing of Doctor who, a fan of the show my ass.
Trebor

It's not only Chibnall, it's the BBC dear friend. The rot starts at the corporation, and Chibnall is paid a handsome fee to do what he's paid to do. Bring Dr Who into the new era of feminism, diversity and inclusion. The past is forgotten, and a scorched earth policy is put in place. This is 100% deliberate.
Old 1st January 2019, 08:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I said to other half why don't they take a leaf out of old doctor who , at least have a story that last quite a few episodes in next series , forget the female side I just can't take to her a the Dr she really doesn't play it well IMO her acting as the Doctor is pretty rubbish . tbh I thought tonight episode was OK (ish ) and could of been far worse but bearing in mind rubbish dalek or not it was trying to transform itself from spare parts lying around , so was never really going to look like a proper Dalek, but it would have been rubbish if that was the style of new daleks .
Old 1st January 2019, 08:55 PM
Cult Acolyte

taking aside the woke elements, the writing in general is just rubbish. ok its a sci-fi show but it should follow some logical rules. first of all we are asked to believe that a technologically advanced Dalek can be taken down by some guys with swords - i think it was established a while back that they couldn't be harmed even by an army of Cybermen? then they split it in three and send it to different parts of the world - why didn't they just burn it? Daleks are just flesh and blood outside the cases! And then we are expected to swallow they can get to a Pacific island hundreds of years before Magellan? This is just the first few minutes!!! I can't help think that they get pissed up before booting up the word processor or are they doing that thing where they tie a monkey to a typewriter and in an infinite amount of time it will come up with the complete works of Shakespeare and what we are getting are the early drafts?
Old 1st January 2019, 11:23 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Comfortably the best episode of the Chibnall era yet also severely flawed in places.

The Daleks again seem scary, there were some nicely chilling scenes with the Dalek mutant. Although i wasn't keen on the slimline shape of the junkyard Dalek i still thought it was a good idea. I also thought the battle scenes were decent and the Dalek actually killed people - what a nice change to actually have a threat on the show - It didn't bother me that it was defeated using parts from an oven, Doctor Who has often dispatched it's monsters in dumb ways - witness Ace with a catapult and gold coins and her trusty baseball bat for starters.

The episode began well and apart from one or two scenes was a pacy and reasonably exciting story.

However as mentioned it was flawed. Despite the battle scenes being good they obviously didn't have the budget to blow up vehicles so we had aerial CGI explosion shots which let the side down somewhat. Secondly the music was bloody awful. I really don't rate this composer at all, in comparison to Murray Gold, well, there is no comparison. Finally we have the return of Ryan's dad AND THE MOST BORING SCENE IN THE HISTORY OF THE SHOW as Ryan and dad sit in a cafe and waffle, and waffle and waffle. It seemed like it went on for half an hour. I really don't care about their relationship. There are enough shows about broken families, we really don't need it in Doctor Who as well. It completely took me out of the zone and into a state of tediousness.

Still on the whole at least it felt like an episode of Doctor Who.

Even with these flaws this episode was comfortably the best and just goes to show how shite the rest of the series was.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 2nd January 2019, 12:28 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Pic of the Day # 706

The junkyard Dalek as seen in 2019's Resolution.

platostotal and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 2nd January 2019, 03:23 PM
Cult Acolyte

I actually really like this incarnation, but with one caveat, we have a very good opening leading to a kiddie scaring possession that would have a pre-teen me hiding behind the sofa but damn if they don't go all 'melodrama' with a seemingly pointless father-son subplot that I'm sure had the kids going "ugh, get back to the monster" almost as if two writers went "you do the scary bit and I'll do the weepy soppy bit" although I find Bradley Walsh's grief story valid all the other soppy twaddle stuff in the episodes off-putting, so what a youngster thinks of it I shudder to think, but then I suppose the BBC considers it a prime time prestige cash cow so must have a mature appeal, not really what made the show great in the first place tho, shame we can't get some Daleks to raid the BBC... "Exterminate the unnecessary Twaddle!!!!" even with all that said it's still better than anything else on a Saturday night.
Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 3rd January 2019, 05:08 AM
Cult Master

January 3rd, 1999

Rediscovered!

Demoncrat likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 3rd January 2019, 07:59 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Pic of the Day # 707

A Draconian from the classic 1973 story Frontier in Space.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (43.4 KB, 57 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!