Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28672Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th September 2015, 09:32 PM
Cult Acolyte

Had a Davison double-bill last night, The King's Demons followed by The Awakening. Talk about a game of two halves!

The King's Demons is a 2parter that feels like two different stories entirely in quality. The first episode is really pretty good - well made, good historical ambiance, well-set up guest characters, a good build-up of intrigue... and then part 2 is just a complete load of balls. Poor.
The Awakening, on the other hand, is great fun. One of the better Davison stories, this is an atmospheric little story with an excellent guest cast and a cool premise as well as lots of great dialogue. Always enjoyed this one.
This double also really showed up the "two Peter Davisons". He's as bland and beige as they come in Demons, yet he's really good in The Awakening. Of course, the script probably helps - he gets lots of good dialogue, including some nicely sardonic one-liners, and sparks very well off of Jane and Will. Frankly, they should have kept those two and ditched Tegan and Turlough on the spot.
Old 11th September 2015, 10:25 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Had a Davison double-bill last night, The King's Demons followed by The Awakening. Talk about a game of two halves!

The King's Demons is a 2parter that feels like two different stories entirely in quality. The first episode is really pretty good - well made, good historical ambiance, well-set up guest characters, a good build-up of intrigue... and then part 2 is just a complete load of balls. Poor.
The Awakening, on the other hand, is great fun. One of the better Davison stories, this is an atmospheric little story with an excellent guest cast and a cool premise as well as lots of great dialogue. Always enjoyed this one.
This double also really showed up the "two Peter Davisons". He's as bland and beige as they come in Demons, yet he's really good in The Awakening. Of course, the script probably helps - he gets lots of good dialogue, including some nicely sardonic one-liners, and sparks very well off of Jane and Will. Frankly, they should have kept those two and ditched Tegan and Turlough on the spot.
I saw both of these when they first aired. I thought The Kings Demons was great as it brought back the Master. However after having it on vhs and owning the dvd it's not one i ever revisit.

As you say The Awakening is far better in every way though. The Malus in the church is a great design.

Overall i like Davison's tenure in the role. There are a few classics - Earthshock, Androzani, Enlightenment, Resurrection of the Daleks, Kinda. Some very good ones - Warriors of the Deep, The Visitation, Frontios, but the only two i'm not over fond of are The Kings Demons and Time Flight.
iank likes this.
Old 14th September 2015, 08:15 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Series 9 episode titles.

The Magician's Apprentice
The Witch's Familiar
Under The Lake
Before The Flood
The Girl Who Died
The Woman Who Lived
The Zygon Invasion
The Zygon Inversion
Sleep No More
Face The Raven
Heaven Sent
Hell Bent

My avatar's getting quite excited by episode 10's title.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 15th September 2015, 11:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Im curious to the new dr who subscription thats being advertised

Anyone know

How often is the subscription and how many episodes are on each dvd?
Old 16th September 2015, 10:53 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I don't know of one Gag.

There is a new part work in the form of a hardback book. Do you mean this?

http://merchandise.thedoctorwhosite....ry-collection/
Old 16th September 2015, 11:17 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Lol silly me i wasnt paying much attention to the advert and because a friend knew i didnt mind dr who he started reading about it

I should have done my homework instead of half listening to him

wakey wakey doh!

Way he was describing it i got impression it was a magazine all about the doctors and enemies etc and with each magazine was a dvd with some episodes. And when you buy the whole collection youve got all you need to know and the whole set on dvd.

Silly me

Now it would be interesting if they did release a series like that each dvd you got 2 complete episodes (2 stories 8/9 episodes) and a behind the scene, making off and insight of each story of how and where they got the ideas etc from.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 16th September 2015, 06:55 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

It's got it's own website and everything, I was looking at it in Smiths last week. Just a shame they started with Daleks in Manhatten etc.
Old 16th September 2015, 09:23 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

It's going to cost around two and a half grand to collect which is a hell of a lot.

Especially when they are using material mainly published in Doctor Who magazines archive features. Obviously the very new stories covered haven't been printed before but it's still money best spent elsewhere.
Old 16th September 2015, 10:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
It's going to cost around two and a half grand to collect which is a hell of a lot.

Especially when they are using material mainly published in Doctor Who magazines archive features. Obviously the very new stories covered haven't been printed before but it's still money best spent elsewhere.
:jaw
Here the real cost broken down
This collection contains 80 volume books (out every 2 weeks) starts from Wednesday 9 September 2015 and it will end on Wednesday 12 September 2018 (160 weeks / 3 years to complete) and it will cost in total £788.20 to collect all 80 books covering every episode up to “Last Christmas” I don’t know if they are going to include upcoming series like series 9 or 35 which starts next month.
costs £1.99 for issue 01 (Wednesday 09 September 2015)
costs £6.99 for issue 02 (Wednesday 16 September 2015)
costs £9.99 for issues 03 – 80 (Wednesday 30 September 2015 – Wednesday 12 September 2018)
THE COLLECTION RUNS FROM WEDNESDAY 9 SEPTEMBER 2015 – WEDNESDAY 12 SEPTEMBER 2018 (80 VOLUME BOOKS WHICH COVER ALL 12 DOCTORS) (1963-2015)

Last edited by gag; 16th September 2015 at 11:06 PM.
Old 16th September 2015, 11:00 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post

Cant even see dedicated fans spending that much
Say it was 2and half grand £10 each = 250 mags at fortnightly that means it would take almost 10years
Who seriously would spend that length of time collecting them???
Would seriously have to be a dedicated geeky nerd.
Sorry Gag. Don't know where i got that figure from.

80 books - £788.20

Plus everything that's televised up until the run ends in three years time, which could be another 52 stories beginning this Saturday.

Like this? Share it using the links below!