Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th July 2017, 05:04 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Yeah, really it's a non issue in this day and age. If the show was called Mr. Dr. Who, then it'd be a different conversation.

Cue discussions in 3 years time about Mrs. Minority Dr. Who.
Old 16th July 2017, 05:15 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
Yeah, really it's a non issue in this day and age. If the show was called Mr. Dr. Who, then it'd be a different conversation.

Cue discussions in 3 years time about Mrs. Minority Dr. Who.
It is one of those things where people will either say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it – Doctor Who is always played by a male actor" or "Dr is not a gender specific honourific, so the actor's gender is irrelevant". There will probably be more to both sides of the argument, but very little middle ground – it's a casting choice which you'll either love or hate.

There have been progressions in other shows, with gay characters in The Simpsons, Arrow, Modern Family, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, How to Get Away with Murder, Orphan Black, The Walking Dead and, going full circle, Doctor Who.

A female Doctor Who doesn't strike me as a big deal, but I'm not a hard-core fan of the show.
Old 16th July 2017, 05:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Like most I don't care that its a woman,she's a good actress and better than a lot of the men.

The doctors gender has never really effected the show apart from new who when they added romance for the doctor which the fanboys were also against.

But we have the usual fans saying they will never watch again, I hope they dont , but we know they will as they say it ever year.

Never stop being amazed with shows like Doctor who etc the amount of its fans that have problems with women and gays, its the 21st century and at his core the doctor and the time lords are beyond things like gender and sexual orientation.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 16th July 2017, 05:54 PM
Cult Veteran

The social media backlash is worse than Arrow's website failing on Friday I honestly had no idea that there were so many sexist geeks out there. I reckon most of these people don't watch current Who anyway and they are firmly into the classic series only.

I don't know who she is, never seen anything she's in, but I'll be watching next series to see what she's like!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 16th July 2017, 05:57 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I haven't seen her in much at all - Black Sea and Cranford basically. I can't remember her in Attack the Block.

She'll have signed up for three years no doubt so it's a big commitment and a grueling schedule.

I actually can't wait to see her first episode.
Check Jodie out in Adult Life Skills. It is a bitter sweat comedy in which she dominates the film and shines.
Justin101 and trebor8273 like this.
Old 16th July 2017, 05:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
The social media backlash is worse than Arrow's website failing on Friday I honestly had no idea that there were so many sexist geeks out there. I reckon most of these people don't watch current Who anyway and they are firmly into the classic series only.

I don't know who she is, never seen anything she's in, but I'll be watching next series to see what she's like!
Wouldn't be surprised if a great number of them are virgins and they wonder why they can't get girlfriend's
Justin101 likes this.
Old 16th July 2017, 06:00 PM
Seasoned Cultist

My problem is not that the Doctor becomes a female per se, it is more a worry that the show will change severely, if they do not plan to do some drastic changes with the gender change, why did they do it in the first place? If they stress the change too much, I doubt I will be interested that much. It is the same if they decided to make it more teen oriented like Class which was nothing for me... This has become one of my favourite shows and I fear it may be over soon, either for me or due to not enough viewers... I may be completely off here, which would make me happy
Old 16th July 2017, 06:02 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post

There is nothing like a vagina to bring out the c*nts.
Old 16th July 2017, 06:12 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
The doctors gender has never really effected the show apart from new who when they added romance for the doctor which the fanboys were also against.
Treb. In the past on this very thread you've bitched and moaned about the romance, especially Tennant and Piper.
Old 16th July 2017, 06:12 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Wouldn't be surprised if a great number of them are virgins and they wonder why they can't get girlfriend's
gag has a girlfriend. Did you know?

Like this? Share it using the links below!