Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28680Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th September 2023, 06:34 AM
Cult Acolyte

My main issue is this looks more like a special from 2009 than 2023. Beep the Meep is fun, as is bringing back the Toymaker (quite like the shot of him as the giant puppeteer) but this is supposed to be the 60th anniversary and, as yet at least, I'm seeing nothing that gives that vibe.
Maybe they're still hiding a lot. But I think it's time they gave a hint of reassurance these THREE specials are not just a Tennant era circlejerk, because otherwise this is blowing an anniversary even more badly than the last one did...
Old 24th September 2023, 08:23 AM
Cult Master

Guest actors appearing in ASYLUM OF THE DALEKS who have previously appeared in the show:
  • Karen Gillan (Amy Pond)
  • Arthur Darvill (Rory Williams)
  • Nicholas Briggs (Dalek Voices)
  • Barnaby Edwards (Dalek)
  • Nicholas Pegg (Dalek)

Who: Before And After #1258 / Nu-Who #327
Name: Jenna-Louise Coleman [1986 - ] [Also credited as Jenna Coleman]
Year(s): 2012 / 2013 / 2014 / 2015 / 2017
Stories: Asylum Of The Daleks / The Snowmen – Hell Bent / Twice Upon A Time [40 episodes]
Character(s): Oswin Oswald / Clara Oswin Oswald / Clara Oswald [Right! Concentrate because this is where it gets complicated! During her time on the show, she played multiple characters, some with substantial roles in stories, some briefly: As well as the various versions of Clara, she appeared as a TARDIS holographic interface ('Hide'), multiple echoes of Clara ('The Name of the Doctor'), Saibra (a Clara impersonation in 'Time Heist') and Bonnie ('The Zygon Invasion' and 'The Zygon Inversion'). As such, it can be claimed that she has played more different named characters in the Doctor Who franchise than any other performer to date!]
Note(s):
  • Appeared in the mini-episodes Mini-episodes 'Clara and the TARDIS, ' She Said, He Said: A Prequel' and 'The History of the Doctor'
  • Appeared as herself in 'The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot' and ''Songtaran Carols'
  • Appeared as Clara in the 2015 video game 'Lego Dimensions'
  • Appeared in the 'Destiny of the Doctors' Big Finish Productions audio adventure 'The Time Machine'

Before Who:
Films: Captain America: The First Avenger* (2011)

Television: Emmerdale Farm* [180 episodes as Jasmine Thomas (2005–2009)] / Waterloo Road* [9 episodes as Lindsay James (2009)] / Titanic [4 episodes as Annie Desmond (2012)] / Room at the Top [2 episodes as Susan Brown (2012)]

After Who:
Films: Me Before You* (2016), A Christmas Carol [voice only] 2018), National Theatre Live: All My Sons (2019), A Separate Peace (2020), Klokkenluider (2022), Jackdaw (2023)

Television: Dancing on the Edge [5 episodes as Rosie Williams (2013)] / Death Comes to Pemberley [3 episodes as Lydia Wickham (2013)] / Thunderbirds Are Go: Earthbreaker [voice only] (2016) / Victoria* [25 episodes as Victoria (2016–2019)] / Inside No. 9: Death Be Not Proud (2020)] / The Cry [4 episodes as Joanna Lindsay (2018)] / The Serpent [8 episodes as Marie-Andree Leclerc (2021)] / The Sandman [3 episodes as Johanna Constantine (2022)] / Wilderness [6 episodes as Liv Taylor (2023)]

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 24th September 2023, 10:44 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Russell T Davies -

Looks very cinematic.
Looks pretty good. Great to see a character from the early days of Dr. Who Weekly getting a run out. Meep! Meep!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download (1).jpg (17.2 KB, 2 views)
Old 24th September 2023, 12:39 PM
Active Cultist

Forgot how annoying I found Donna noble though.

Let's face it, we all know that this is get the new who fans who have since left watching again or else the series will face cancellation.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 24th September 2023, 12:56 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by will graham View Post

Let's face it, we all know that this is get the new who fans who have since left watching again or else the series will face cancellation.
True enough, but what else could they have done? Series was on its knees.

I'm sure there is going to be an uptick in quality and viewer numbers with these specials but whether that is sustainable into a new series is questionable?
Old 24th September 2023, 02:02 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
My main issue is this looks more like a special from 2009 than 2023. Beep the Meep is fun, as is bringing back the Toymaker (quite like the shot of him as the giant puppeteer) but this is supposed to be the 60th anniversary and, as yet at least, I'm seeing nothing that gives that vibe.
Maybe they're still hiding a lot. But I think it's time they gave a hint of reassurance these THREE specials are not just a Tennant era circlejerk, because otherwise this is blowing an anniversary even more badly than the last one did...
I really liked the whole of the fiftieth stuff. I always want Daleks and i got them plus Zygons, Smith and Tennant and an unforgettable cameo from Tom.

Meanwhile An Adventure in Space and Time and The Five'ish Doctors were true gems.
will graham and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 24th September 2023, 02:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
True enough, but what else could they have done? Series was on its knees.

I'm sure there is going to be an uptick in quality and viewer numbers with these specials but whether that is sustainable into a new series is questionable?
The finale of the Tennant / Tate era The End of Time got 12.04 and 12.27m viewers so if only half of those return the specials will be deemed a success in this day and age, plus there's whatever it might generate via the mouse streaming channel.

Like you sat can Gatwa and his TARDIS wardrobe of many colours sustain it.

I presume there will be some sort of big coming soon trailer at the end of the third special to whet the appetite.

As of yet no story details or monsters have been hinted at whatsoever.
Old 24th September 2023, 02:40 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 1618

The satellite image when searching Google Maps for Bad Wolf Studios.

One UNIT Heli-pad in the back lot...or car park as it's most commonly known.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg msgi6rco34pj (Large).jpg (87.2 KB, 20 views)
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 24th September 2023, 03:35 PM
Cult Master

According to Screen Rant, it's been confirmed that my namesake is making a return to the show in the 60th Anniversary specials:
"Just two months to go before Doctor Who celebrates its 60th anniversary, a new trailer has been released, offering a closer look at the upcoming episodes starring David Tennant and Catherine Tate. As Russell T Davies returns to helm the show and launch a brand-new Doctor in the TARDIS, the show is first taking a step back to celebrate its long and illustrious history. With confirmed cameos from old companions like Bonnie Langford, Carole Ann Ford, and Catherine Tate, the specials will be sure to delight fans young and old..."
nosferatu42 and MrBarlow like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 24th September 2023, 05:44 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
According to Screen Rant, it's been confirmed that my namesake is making a return to the show in the 60th Anniversary specials:
"Just two months to go before Doctor Who celebrates its 60th anniversary, a new trailer has been released, offering a closer look at the upcoming episodes starring David Tennant and Catherine Tate. As Russell T Davies returns to helm the show and launch a brand-new Doctor in the TARDIS, the show is first taking a step back to celebrate its long and illustrious history. With confirmed cameos from old companions like Bonnie Langford, Carole Ann Ford, and Catherine Tate, the specials will be sure to delight fans young and old..."
Cameos from Catherine Tate and Bonnie Langford. I hardly think starring in three hour long episodes is a cameo as Tate is doing whilst Bonnie isn't in the specials but is in the following series.

Pinch of salt time i'd say.

Like this? Share it using the links below!