Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28680Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th December 2023, 12:03 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 1689

The Doctor (Jon Pertwee) and the Master (Roger Delgado) as the Daleks reveal themselves to be the perpetrators of the space war in the final episode of Frontier in Space (1973)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg doctor-who-frontier-in-space-doctor-dalek-master.jpg (48.2 KB, 37 views)
Mojo, Susan Foreman and MrBarlow like this.
Old 4th December 2023, 03:19 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Wild Blue Yonder.

Very, very good. Better than last week for sure.

Only thing I thought was a bit off was the whole Issac Newton scene which felt completely unnecessary. That aside, I was hooked throughout and it had a genuine sense of suspense, with a couple of effective jump scares. It wasn't quite Midnight levels of freaky but Midnight was a one off and regardless, this still worked. The weird disfigured Doctor and Donna were pretty ¤¤¤¤ed up, and clever ideas for monsters.

14 and Donna are just sooooo good together, just like when he was 10. As a character piece, this worked wonders. I could see them pulling if off with a few other Doctors and companions, but thank christ they didn't try to do this during 13's time. Would never have worked with that TARDIS crew at all. At the end of the day, I'm really enjoying the 14th Doctor, he's more likeable than the 10th and it's a pity in a way that it's going to end soon. I'd have loved a full Season with just the two of them.

The writing in general was also much better than last week: there wasn't really a central message that RTD tried to ram down peoples throats (that he then contradicts at the end with male respecting Time Lord nonsense or whatever it was). It did have the line about 14 being gay but honestly, that was so much more well done and felt completely natural, like something from the 2005-2010 RTD era. Donna's reaction was gold too "Well, it was never that far from the surface mate." Short, sweet, perfect: it isn't mentioned every 5 minutes and all it does is emphasise that there's nothing wrong with being gay in one quick scene with a bit of humour thrown in. Now why on earth couldn't RTD have used similar tactics last week?!

And lastly, Bernard Cribbins. A shame he isn't back next week but still, a wonderful final performance from a wonderful man. He is a legend, a Doctor Who giant and he will not be forgotten.

About a 9/10. Deducting a point for the Issac Newton scene. Otherwise, a near masterpiece.
nosferatu42 and MrBarlow like this.
Old 4th December 2023, 09:05 PM
Active Cultist

He's still 10 in my eyes.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 5th December 2023, 06:43 AM
Cult Master

Who: Before And After #1340 / Nu-Who #399
Name: Roger Ashton-Griffiths [1957 - ]
Year(s): Doctor Who: 2014
Stories: Robot Of Sherwood
Character(s): Master Quayle

Year(s): Torchwood: 2006
Stories: Random Shoes
Character(s): Mr. Garret

Before Who:
Films: The Zany Adventures of Robin Hood (1984), Brazil (1985), Plenty (1985), Dreamchild (1985), Young Sherlock Holmes* [as Det. Sgt. Lestrade] (1985), Pirates (1986), Haunted Honeymoon (1986), Empire State (1987), The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover (1989), Seven Minutes (1989), Chambre Ã* part (1989), Mountains of the Moon (1990), Chicago Joe and the Showgirl (1990), King Ralph (1991), Shadowlands (1993), The Madness of King George (1994), The Plant (1995), Go Now (1995), Aristophanes: The Gods Are Laughing (1995), Restoration (1995), Jude (1996), The Portrait of a Lady (1996), Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (1996), Swept from the Sea (1997), You're Dead... (1999), Lady Audley's Secret (2000), A Knight's Tale* (2001), Gangs of New York [as P.T. Barnum] (2002), Nicholas Nickleby (2002), What a Girl Wants (2003), Devil's Gate (2004), The Brothers Grimm (2005), Irish Jam (2006), Samuel Johnson: The Dictionary Man [as Samuel Johnson] (2006), A Very British Sex Scandal (2007), Mutant Chronicles (2008), Margaret [as John Sergeant] (2009), Bright Star (2009), Hell's Pavement (2009), Tormented (2009), You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger (2010), Accidental Farmer (2010), Red Faction: Origins (2011), Summer in February (2013), Grace of Monaco [as Alfred Hitchcock] (2014), Mr. Turner (2014)

Television: The Young Ones: Boring* (1982) / The Nation's Health: Acute (1983) / The Secret Servant [2 episodes as Ivan (1984)] / Prospects [3 episodes as Eddie (1986)] / C.A.T.S. Eyes: Freezeheat (1986) / Hardwicke House: First Day of Term (1987) / Crossbow [3 episodes, different characters(1988)] / Rude Health: A Spot of Disaster (1988) / Jack the Ripper* [2 episodes as Rodman (1988)] / Shadow of the Noose: Gun in Hand (1989) / The Bill: Time Out (1989) / Grange Hill [4 episodes as Walt (1990)] / Lovejoy: Montezuma's Revenge (1991) / The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles: Austria, March 1917 (1992) / The Life and Times of Henry Pratt [2 episodes as Len Arrowsmith (1992)] / The Darling Buds of May: Cast Not Your Pearls Before Swine (1993) / Heidi [2 episodes as the Churchman (1993)] / Martin Chuzzlewit [2 episodes as George Chuzzlewit (1994)] / The Wimbledon Poisoner [2 episodes as the Vicar (1994)] / Tales from the Crypt: Report from the Grave (1996) / The Fortunes and Misfortunes of Moll Flanders (1996) / Ivanhoe [4 episodes as Prior Aymer (1997)] / The Odyssey [2 episodes as Polites (1997)] / Cadfael: St. Peter's Fair (1997) / Merlin [2 episodes as Sir Boris (1998) ] / Children of the New Forest (1998) / Vanity Fair [as King George IV] (1998) / As If: Alex's POV (2001) / The Wonderful World of Disney: Princess of Thieves (2001) / Micawber: Micawber Learns the Truth (2001) / Keen Eddie: Citizen Cecil (2004) / Empire [4 episodes as Panza (2005)] / Roman Mysteries: The Secrets of Vesuvius (2007) / Heroes and Villains: Napoleon (2007) / The Passion [2 episodes as the Syrian Prefect (2008)] / The Color of Magic [2 episodes as Lumuel Panter (2008)] / Henry VIII - Mind of a Tyrant [3 episodes as Cardinal Wolsey (2009)] / The Tudors [2 episodes as Sir John Hutton (2009)] / The Musketeers: Friends and Enemies (2014) / This Is Jinsy: Penny's Pendant (2014)

After Who:
Films: AB Negative (2014), Dragonheart 3: The Sorcerer's Curse (2015), The Lobster (2015), The Death of Stalin* (2017), Breathe (2017), Crooked House (2017), Christopher Robin* (2018), Come Away (2020), The Show (2020), My Dad's Christmas Date (2020), The Score (2021), The Other Me (2022), North Star (2023)

Television: Coronation Street [7 episodes as the Neurosurgeon (2014-2015)] / Game of Thrones* [13 episodes as Mace Tyrell (2016)] / Doctors: Are You Kidding Me? (2015) / Father Brown: The Daughter of Autolycus (2016) / In Souliloquy: Richard III (2016) / Marley's Ghosts: Carly (2016) / Taboo (2017) / Quacks [2 episodes as the Bishop of Lambeth (2017)] / Lucky Man: Missing Persons (2018)

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 5th December 2023, 11:39 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 1690

The Doctor (David Tennant) attempts an audacious rescue for Donna Noble (Catherine Tate) during the 2006 Christmas special, The Runaway Bride

Attached Images
File Type: jpg p00sztsg (Medium).jpg (50.8 KB, 29 views)
Old 5th December 2023, 04:19 PM
Cult Master

The tenth in an occasional series:

'Doctor Who' as featured in other medium

Pink Floyd on stage at Earls Court in 1994 performing 'One Of These Days'

nosferatu42 likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 5th December 2023, 06:20 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmogxx View Post
Wild Blue Yonder.

Very, very good. Better than last week for sure.

Only thing I thought was a bit off was the whole Issac Newton scene which felt completely unnecessary. That aside, I was hooked throughout and it had a genuine sense of suspense, with a couple of effective jump scares. It wasn't quite Midnight levels of freaky but Midnight was a one off and regardless, this still worked. The weird disfigured Doctor and Donna were pretty ¤¤¤¤ed up, and clever ideas for monsters.

14 and Donna are just sooooo good together, just like when he was 10. As a character piece, this worked wonders. I could see them pulling if off with a few other Doctors and companions, but thank christ they didn't try to do this during 13's time. Would never have worked with that TARDIS crew at all. At the end of the day, I'm really enjoying the 14th Doctor, he's more likeable than the 10th and it's a pity in a way that it's going to end soon. I'd have loved a full Season with just the two of them.

The writing in general was also much better than last week: there wasn't really a central message that RTD tried to ram down peoples throats (that he then contradicts at the end with male respecting Time Lord nonsense or whatever it was). It did have the line about 14 being gay but honestly, that was so much more well done and felt completely natural, like something from the 2005-2010 RTD era. Donna's reaction was gold too "Well, it was never that far from the surface mate." Short, sweet, perfect: it isn't mentioned every 5 minutes and all it does is emphasise that there's nothing wrong with being gay in one quick scene with a bit of humour thrown in. Now why on earth couldn't RTD have used similar tactics last week?!

And lastly, Bernard Cribbins. A shame he isn't back next week but still, a wonderful final performance from a wonderful man. He is a legend, a Doctor Who giant and he will not be forgotten.

About a 9/10. Deducting a point for the Issac Newton scene. Otherwise, a near masterpiece.
I think Isaac Newton was thrown in to prepare the Doctor is gay groundwork as it prompted the 'Is it me or is Isaac hot' exchange. I think they are just trying to ease the audience into the revelation that Ncuti will play the Doctor as gay - perhaps not overtly initially, but I do think that's the way it will go.

I enjoyed this episode too, even though it was derivative of the Jordan Peele movie to a certain extent as pointed out by a few others. Nothing wrong with getting inspeiration from others though. I particularly liked that it ended with a huge explosion as all good Dr Who should. The only thing I really didn't like was the way evil-Donna was ejected from the Tardis which was too jokey and betrayed the tone of the rest of the episode.
Old 5th December 2023, 06:56 PM
Cult Addict

I really enjoyed the actual story, and yes it was a bit US,a film i watched for the first time the other night.

But thats been done before anyway, halfway through US i kept thinking did he get the vibe from the Hammer house of horror episode "Two faces of evil", with the not quite talking right vibe and the escape in an ambulance.

i've been noticing a doppelganger vibe to my viewing recently, but am not sure if i'm reading too much into it or other universal forces are at play.
Only joking i'm not that much of a Mystic Meg.

Anyway I enjoyed this weeks episode more than the Meep one. I'm actually excited for the new episode at this point and that hasn't happened for a few years.

I'm also wondering if the Isaac Newton moment is signifying it's a kind of alternative universe going on as thats the current vibe in films, I hope not but that's the only way it makes sense, that was a part i didn't like but was thankfully quite throwaway.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 5th December 2023, 08:18 PM
Active Cultist

Wow I felt it reminded me of event horizon.

The thing is I thought the doctor was bi-sexual or whatever word they used for captain Jack? Looking at comments elsewhere I think alot of new who fans thought the same.
(Wished they had kept the character asexual though)
Besides they were clearly saying that jodie's doctor had the hots for her female companion.
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 5th December 2023, 10:06 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by will graham View Post
Wow I felt it reminded me of event horizon.
It reminded me of a shit Event Horizon too.
MrBarlow likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!